Here's what I have to say about the SF G2X

fyrstormer

Banned
CIMG4889.jpg

CIMG4891.jpg

CIMG4895.jpg

That's about 3000 words' worth, by my count. :D

Thanks to Oveready making it possible to buy Nitrolon parts piecemeal, this light has a G2 body, a G3 head, a McClicky switch, a UCL lense, a black metal bezel, and a Dereelight XP-G drop-in. It's made of plastic so scratches don't matter, it won't conduct electricity through the surface, it's inert to the environment, it has three modes, and it has springs at BOTH ends of the battery chamber so there will be no flickering or mode-changing when it gets bumped. Despite the conventional wisdom that that LED drop-ins require metal hosts to avoid overheating, my IR thermometer shows the LED die well within operating temperatures after 15 minutes of operation on the brightest setting.

I don't generally worry about my titanium lights getting smacked around or dropped, but this light I don't need to worry about for entirely different reasons. It's durable enough to loan to someone who won't be careful with it, and inexpensive enough that it's not a tragedy if they do drop it into a chipper-shredder or something like that. Oh, and it's upgradeable, unlike similar purpose-built LED lights. It's just a shame these parts are being discontinued now that the manufacturer has figured out it's more profitable to re-sell the same light to the same people with incremental upgrades every few years.

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Amen. I have several of the same set-ups (using Malkoff drop-ins) and they are GREAT legos!!!