New Appreciation for Incandescent

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Bought an E2e and a C2 with plans to convert to led. But as my first incandescent lights, excluding the many Maglites of the past, I'd really like to keep the E2e as an incandescent. There are some advantages inherent to the incandescent that I'd read about, but just dismissed out of hand. My loss I suppose.

However, now that I've discovered that I like these SF incandescents, they are going the way of the Dodo bird. Therefore, do I need to get some replacement lamps right now or will they be around for the forseeable future? Also, how long do the MN03 lamps last on average? And does the E1e use the same lamp as the E2e?

Thanks in advance.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there are a TON of incandescent Surefire flashlights out there so there will be lamps produced for many years to come just on account of that. I don't think we have to worry about lamp production ending anytime soon, but I'm not a psychic either so I can't say for sure. I do have a pretty good stock in incan bulbs, but I don't hesitate at the chance to buy more when they are on sale. The Surefire lamps in general last a long time. And because of the xenon-halogen process they don't black out either under normal use, like a lot of other manufactures bulbs do. The E1e uses the MN01 lamp assembly which is rated at 15 lumens and 3 volts, for use with one CR123A lithium battery. The E2e comes with the MN03 and is rated at 60 lumens for 1.25hrs. This is a 6 volt bulb. The E2e can also use the MN02 lamp assembly which is a 6 volt bulb rated at 25 lumens for 2.5 hours.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the 411! Maybe I'll just get one SureFire spare, since they last a while. And now I get to learn about the incan aftermarket, as it seems there are still upgrades being made, at least I hope so.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the 411! Maybe I'll just get one SureFire spare, since they last a while. And now I get to learn about the incan aftermarket, as it seems there are still upgrades being made, at least I hope so.

Check out Lumens Factory for some aftermarket lamp assemblies for your Surefire.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It happens to most of us eventually, Let it Bleed...and then we hunt down an M3, M4, or M6...or all 3! Grab a couple of MN02's...quite possibly the longest running quality incan you can get in the whole market...2.5 hours of (essentially) non-diminishing incan goodness...and the 25 lumens can do just about everything the 60 of the MN03 can in day to day applications. No crazy about the P60/60 lumen/1 hour gig, so all my P60 based incans are rechargeable. 4 CR123's and the MN60 are well worth it!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably one of those few that really appreciates the MN03 over the MN02, but I also like the MN02 lamp very much.

One of the things the P60/MN03 assemblies really excel in are extreme weather applications as the CR123A lithium batteries they operate off of are very robust and the lights themselves are pretty much bomb proof. They are great lamps for when "failure is not an option" and I keep one spare of each in my glove box in battery carriers along with some D26 & E series 9 volt lamps as well.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to keep at least one spare for each incandescent light that I own (quite a few). Lumens Factory produces some stellar bulbs and Surefire is bound to keep feeding the millions of SF lights out there for a long time.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to keep at least one spare for each incandescent light that I own (quite a few). Lumens Factory produces some stellar bulbs and Surefire is bound to keep feeding the millions of SF lights out there for a long time.

Don't be so sure about that. None of us know for sure what surefire's intentions are in regards to lamp assemblys. I spoke to a surefire rep a few months ago and he advised me that production has stopped on lamp assemblys but they have a large quanity of lamps in stock for legacy support. I can't confirm whether or not this is true.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up with incans, then discovered LEDs and never looked back until I stuck a 14V Xenon bulb I bought from DX a year or so back and never played with into a 4 x 18500 LiFePo4 setup and I was really impressed with both the light output and the color... I keep that light configured that way because it's my tribute to the olden days... I get a kick out of using it... it's fun...

S1LVA

Enlightened
I started out here chasing LED lights with as many lumens as possible. But I have come to realize that (for me) such high output lights were only for a "cool factor". Lower levels of high quality light are what I am after now.

I am a HUGE fan of the stock E2E and it needs more love in this community! I have cool, neutral, and warm LED lights that I rotate through my EDC lineup, but I always find myself going back to my E2E or my A2. They just make me feel warm inside :)

I can't wait for winter. There's nothing like a warm incandescent beam on white snow.

S1LVA

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started out here chasing LED lights with as many lumens as possible. But I have come to realize that (for me) such high output lights were only for a "cool factor". Lower levels of high quality light are what I am after now.

I am a HUGE fan of the stock E2E and it needs more love in this community! I have cool, neutral, and warm LED lights that I rotate through my EDC lineup, but I always find myself going back to my E2E or my A2. They just make me feel warm inside :)

I can't wait for winter. There's nothing like a warm incandescent beam on white snow.

S1LVA

Grab you an MN02 (MN ZERO 2) and enjoy incan goodness all winter..on 1 or two sets of batteries!

Acid87

Enlightened
I'm also on an Incan drive. I started with an E2E now have an E1E and L1. All I need is an A2 and I'll be happy for now.....

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also on an Incan drive. I started with an E2E now have an E1E and L1. All I need is an A2 and I'll be happy for now.....

No one can claim to be a "TRUE" incan fan with out an M4 or an M6...plus, it'll be awesome to shine an M4 around the highlands at night :0)...You can hunt down one with no etchings, and have "Claymore" etched on the side!

Acid87

Enlightened
angelofwar said:
No one can claim to be a "TRUE" incan fan with out an M4 or an M6...plus, it'll be awesome to shine an M4 around the highlands at night :0)...You can hunt down one with no etchings, and have "Claymore" etched on the side!

That would be awesome! What's the going rate of M4s and M6s? In the UK new it's like £300. I've always liked the look of the M6. Love the thought of the claymore.

S1LVA

Enlightened
Grab you an MN02 (MN ZERO 2) and enjoy incan goodness all winter..on 1 or two sets of batteries!

That sounds wonderful! I will have to try that out.

I just upgraded my A2 with one of calipsoii's warm white LED rings. If anyone has an A2 and doesn't have one of these rings, they need to get one....NOW!

S1LVA

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be awesome! What's the going rate of M4s and M6s? In the UK new it's like £300. I've always liked the look of the M6. Love the thought of the claymore.

M4's go for about $170-$180, and there's people who will ship to the UK. M6's go for around $225-$350 depending on condition and style.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW is sooooooooooooooo right! I love my M4s and M6s. I have at lease 3 of each, all running rechargeable batteries. If you love incan, you'll love the M4 and M6..... Oh, and let's not forget the long-lost M3! It can be charged with rechargeable batteries and make it's own statement.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, the M6 is in a league of it's own. I sold mine, and semi regret it. I just didn't use it enough, Mostly because I got a M4 that I lego'd. The MN60 bulb is gorgeous.
I had mine fail. it exploded and took the turbohead with it. I have converted the M4 to LED now.

I have recently bought a bunch of SF incans, I can't wait to receive them.
I'll post the pics of the project once they arrive.

computernut

Enlightened
I use my incans for dog walking, love them in the fall. I usually use an EO or HO-M3T in my M4 but I prefer the beam of the MN60.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up a E2 head/MNO2 lamp for a extra Aleph powerpack 2x123 body/tailcap that was laying around. Completely awesome little light. A lumens factory 3.6v lamp is also on the way from lighthound. I will probably mainly use the LF lamp with a 17670 and keep the MNO2 for a longer runtime option with primaries if needed. The LF lamp will be brighter, but if it's beam is anything like the MN02, it will impress to say the least. This light will be one of my go to lights when I dont need alot of lumens glaring in my eyes. I still favor warm led's overall, but do appreciate a nice incan. The beam quality and brigtness from the MN02 is better than any light I ever owned prior to my time at CPF. I use to pack a 2D stock maglite while deer hunting and dispised the size and weight in my pack. It ate batteries and the beam was weak. Im sure the SF E2 or stock 6P was around back then. But like most of the un-enlightened world, the price kept me away and I did not believe that something so small would pack such a punch! Didnt have a clue what I was missing out on till CPF. My two best incans are this light, and a Ultrafire WF500. I have no desire to dive into the ROP or hotwire stuff, but incans definitely have a place in my collection.