surefire e2e vs 6p

snapper

Newly Enlightened
I think you guys have pretty much pushed over the edge to get the surefire. I was reading and came down to these to models. How much difference does the 5 lumens make in terms of brightness and throw?? Any reason to get one or the other? I think they will both do fine for me. I am leaning toward these because they will be easy to edc and amaze people with lots of light form sumthin so small. I plan to buy a box of batteries, a bulb, and maybe a spare batery carrier. Is there anything else i should think of getting?? What about where to get the light? Who is the best to order from?? And where to get the batteries, wheres best??

Thanks guys!! snapper

Size15's

Flashaholic
I suggest you get the E2e-HA model - It is far better for EDC (IMHO) and it's output will amaze considering it's tiny size and weight.

The SC3 Spares Carrier has not yet been released (as far as I'm aware) but getting a spare lamp such as the MN03 and a box of SF123As is a great move.

Why not check out the Cheers & Jeers Section as well as our CPF Dealer Section for places to buy.

Some dealers will have SureFire's SF123As at the same price as SureFire sells them ($1.25 each + shipping)

Good Luck!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
I own both lights, and I really like them both. The 6P was my first really great light, and it has had more use than any light I have ever owned. The E2E is smaller, lighter, and more elegantly styled. I was talking to Dan at Tactical Warehouse about a month ago... (I got the light from him) and trying to remember how long I have had it. Definitely over a year... and it still looks like new. The HAIII finish is far more durable than the black hard anodized finish on the 6P. Overall, I prefer the E2E for size, durability of finish, overall feel, and overall versatility. (It also takes the new KL4 head, and others.)
Long after you pay for this light, it will still be performing, and you will have forgotten about the difference in price you spent. If it is affordable to you, go for the E2E.
You are right about the spare batteries, and the spares carrier. Don't ever get caught paying local retail for 123's. What a waste! Also look at getting the color filters to increase versatility, and definitely think about that KL4... or even just getting an L4 later on. It is a different quality of light for different purposes.

Have fun... whichever you choose, you will love it!

David <><

snapper

Newly Enlightened
there is a spare carrier available.. spare carrier I think i am going to buy from tactical warehouse. bit cheaper on the light, bit more for bulb and spare carrier.(comparing prices to brightguy) And the batteries i am going to by straight from surefire brecause they are 12 for 15$ versus 12 for 20 At taticalwarehouse. Does this sound like a plan?? oh yea, anybody tries the 2 day fedex for 8$ is it worth it??

thanks snapper

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree and recommend the E2e, although I would get an MN02 bulb for long run time just in case. I have a couple E2e's around and use them for all sorts of stuff. The MN02 bulb doesn't have a super-high output, but it's great for power outages and the like.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I do not advise you get the SC1. It's a pain to keep an MN03 in it as it's not designed for it and it doesn't fit.

I suggest you wait for the SC3. Won't be long I'm sure (serious)

Al

snapper

Newly Enlightened
how important is it to get a spare bulb right away?? A spare bulb is pushing my budget. How tough are these bulbs??

Thanks!!
edit, got to thinking five bucks different in bateries from tw than from sf. But with shipping wouldn't it be the bout the same to just order them for 20 from tw, since sf shipping is at least five bucks. And i will get them all at one time?? my thinking sound right??

kev1-1

Enlightened
If your lamp lasts for the first 5 mins...and you treat the light with the minimum of respect!..then you shouldn't have to really worry about a new lamp for a fair while. If the lamp dies really fast, Surefire will replace it for you.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the E2e.

For me the 6P is not suitable for EDC. While on paper the size does not appear significantly larger, believe me it IS in terms of EDC. That is why I do not reccomend the Scorpion or Pelican M6 for EDC.

Both of those and the TT-2L (which I have two on the way) are fine lights, lots cheaper, but they require a belt holster or a coat pocket which for me is unacceptable in a EDC. Although, you may be fine with a holster if you already have a leatherman, a folding knife and a cell phone on belt shealths, it just might balance you out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want a light with wow factor the E2e is the way to go! That's how I convinced my boss to let me buy 10 E2e's for co-workers. I let him play with my E2 and he said wow, where can we get these?

GregR

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the beam from the E2e to be far superior to the P60/61 lamps. Its much much smoother and whiter too.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Even though the E2E with MNO3 is remarkably bright for such a tiny light the 6p (P60 or P61) is noticeably brighter and will throw further. However, for EDC there is no comparably small 2x123 that can match its performance.

The smallest very bright long-throwing light right now is the TL-2 or NF-2 (essentially identical), both of which take the Scorpion bulb in a different reflector with redesigned texturing. Note that there are three 2x123's that will out throw the TL-2 but they are "standard" size lights*. Here are some size and weight comparisons (weight includes batteries):

............LGTH.....BZL DIA.....BOD DIA......WT

6P..........5"..........1 1/4"..........1".........5.3oz
TL-2......4 7/8".....1 1/4".........7/8".......4.1oz
E2E.......4 5/8".....1".............13/16".....3.2oz

Clearly, the E2E is much smaller and lighter the the others.
Even though the TL-2 is .1oz heavier than the G2 it looks and feels much smaller than any of the Surefire "standard" size models or its own big brother the Scorpion, which it noticeably out-throws.

If you want a high testosterone version of the E2E get Nascar's mod (inspired by Don). The modified bezel will accept a modified P61 and produce a big brilliant beam that will literally inspire disbelief among observers, but runtime will be significantly reduced.

My choice for all around excellence in an EDC providing tiny size and feather weight along with excellent performance and design is the E2E. Specific requirements may be met by other lights.

* Some might argue that the TACM III is smaller and lighter at 4 5/8" x 1 3/8" x 1" x 3.8oz, but its additional body width and wide bezel counter balance its shorter length and lighter weight

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Norm, where you fit the L4 into that calculation? I realize it has less throw than an E2e, but its beam is wider, so total output is about the same.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
snapper said:
how important is it to get a spare bulb right away?? A spare bulb is pushing my budget. How tough are these bulbs??

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, if you concerned about the cost of a spare/replacement lamp-assembly (bulb), don't get a SureFire. The SureFire line of lights are nothing short of remarkable. With that, comes a price. If budgetary reasons don't allow you the purchasing of a spare lamp, you can't afford a SureFire.

All that being said, I'd recommend the E2E over the 6P. In my opinion, the 6P is too large to EDC. Many do EDC the 6P, as well a lights much larger, however the normal Joe User will find the 6P uncomfortable to EDC.

snapper

Newly Enlightened
this is nascar, i am not concerned about the price of a bulb. My mom is ordering this light for my birthday, and i have to stay as close to a 100$$ as i can. I plan to get the light and batteries first, then after i impress everyone, i will order a spare lamp.

snapper

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Norm, where you fit the L4 into that calculation? I realize it has less throw than an E2e, but its beam is wider, so total output is about the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paulr,

The L4 is so different I think of as being in its own category. I have EDC'd it since it first came out and when I tested a whole bunch of lights this Summer in rural Canada
it was the preferred walking light for me and two friends, if we wanted a *really bright* light for walking. Its broad beam is very appealing and useful for so many things. When a neighbor thought her beagle was hiding under a car at night one glance with the L4 brilliantly lit almost the entire area under the car. I wouldn't be without it even though it is overkill for many situations. It's truly a unique little light.

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
I doubt you'll need a spare lamp for your E2e. Even here where the concentration of E2e users is very high, we don't read of them failing. The lamps are extremely stable and abuse resistant.

Al

snapper

Newly Enlightened
Okay you all convinced me the e2e is best for edc. I wouldn't mind to belt carry a 6p, but hey that just gives me a nother light to buy. Now, i just noticed both brightguy and tactical warehouse only list the hard anodized finish. My understanding is to get the haIII finish you have to get the satin model. I am missing sumthin, or do they not carry the haIII???

snapper

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I doubt you'll need a spare lamp for your E2e. Even here where the concentration of E2e users is very high, we don't read of them failing. The lamps are extremely stable and abuse resistant.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, don't misslead the guy. Just because you don't hear of issues, these bulb break, trust me. On least 2-occasions while changing an MN03, it dropped from 4-feet onto the kitchen floor and would not work as a result of the fall.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Satin Finished model is HA2 I believe. It's not as tough as HA3 (not even close) If the E2Es you see are slightly brown/bronze in colour, that means it's the HA3 version.

Size15's

Flashaholic
You dropped the Lamp Assembly on the floor and it broke?

I guess that accidents happen and that they should be planned for. I personally like to have spares for all my flashlights and it is usually easier and more cost effective in terms of shipping to get a spare lamp and accessories at the time of buying the flashlight.

I've learnt the hard way to check the Lamp Assembly is the right one before I insert it into the SureFire!
I've also dropped lamps and knocked to tip of a bulb.

Of course bulbs break. I do not think it is vital to get a spare for the E2e straight away if funds do not really allow it. A car doesn't come with a can of gas in the trunk but it's a good idea to put one in yourself along with some jump leads and a tow rope! Most people buy floor mats and a fluffy dice first!

It is very rare that the E2e will fail during use is what I'm saying.

Al