Just received my first Zebralight (SC51)

Samy

Enlightened
After reading up on EDC lights, i decided to take the plunge and get a Zebralight SC51. I have been EDC'ing in my pocket a 2xAA Klarus ST20 for work since march which i have found excellent. It's been a few months since my last purchase so the 2 week wait to arrive from overseas was tortuous ;)

It arrived today and i am thoroughly impressed. I wasn't a fan of the Zebralights because i found them quite ugly but once it was unwrapped and in my hand i actually changed my mind and found it quite attractive. The size is tiny! Very small! I compared it to my other regularly used lights and it's filled a nice little niche for my flashligh usage:

(Fenix E01, Zebralight SC51, Klarus ST20, Fenix TK-41)

4lights.jpg

It's daylight right now so guess what i'll be doing tonight! I'll be out in the bush behind my place testing it out. At least it's small so i can hide it from my wife... she alread gave me a lecture a few months ago... NO MORE LIGHTS!

I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality, UI, looks and feel of the light. I am already looking at the Zebralight right-angle headlamps... :sssh:

cheers

_Event_Horizon_

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on the purchase. I've been EDC'ing mine since March this year. But I ended up buying another since I love it so much. Now I don't know if I can afford the warm version. :)

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the purchase! I see you're a side-switch guy eh?

You're right about ZL though - their lights are tiny. I have a few H501W's (my favorite ZL of all time) and it always amazes me that such a tiny light holds a AA battery.

Samy

Enlightened
You wouldn't be so envious in bushfire season .......................

You're right about that. No staying and defending for us... we're outta there when fire approaches!

Good move. What tint did you get? Let us know how you like it.

I just went with the standard cool. It is insanely bright and has very good range. I used the 0.16 lumen low when i woke up at 3am and needed to find my way down the hallway. Funny, 0.16 lumens seemed very bright after you've just woken up in the middle of the night. I checked and it was definately the 0.16 lumens i used. I can't believe i have been pocket carrying a 2xAA light... the Zebralight is very very small. I'm off to work tonight so i'll give it a thorough workplace test ;) My 2xAA Klarus is now going to be my backup in the work bag or car :)

cheers

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right about that. No staying and defending for us... we're outta there when fire approaches!

Do you frequently encounter bush fire? Must have been real devastating. Can't imagine all the property losses that you would have to put up with.

Since you love the SC51 so much, you should consider the H51F headlamp as well. The frosted lens would give you a floodier beam and it is a good companion to your SC51. I find a headlamp quite indispensable when out camping and trekking.

tygger

Enlightened
Congratulations. I've been EDCing mine for a while now. I've dropped it numerous times and it spends all day everyday in a sweaty pocket, but still works perfectly. You may want to lockout the tailcap as it can sometimes turn on in your pocket.

Samy

Enlightened
Do you frequently encounter bush fire? Must have been real devastating. Can't imagine all the property losses that you would have to put up with.

Since you love the SC51 so much, you should consider the H51F headlamp as well. The frosted lens would give you a floodier beam and it is a good companion to your SC51. I find a headlamp quite indispensable when out camping and trekking.

Yes, we have some that come close. We had a bushfire that burnt about 3000 hectares all around here last month but the fire brigade are always on top of it. We havnt had a fire come through our property in the 5 years we've been here but i try to keep the small shrubs/grass down. I've got plenty of big trees but if the smaller stuff is kept down then the fire won't be as intense. It's usually the state of Victoria that has the worst fires because 1) they get hot dry windy summers and 2) the greenies don't let them backburn to keep the fuel levels down.

I think i'm definately going to get a H51F headlamp! It looks like just what i need for camping.

Congratulations. I've been EDCing mine for a while now. I've dropped it numerous times and it spends all day everyday in a sweaty pocket, but still works perfectly. You may want to lockout the tailcap as it can sometimes turn on in your pocket.

Yes, i've been locking out the tailcap.

i couldnt believe you used that large 2xAA Light for EDC.

It's not that bad ;) last night i had to keep checking my pocket to see it the SC51 had fallen out, you can't feel it there at all. With the 2xAA it's reassuring because you can kinda feel a bit of weight in your pocket.

It worked well last night and once i got home from work at midnight into the deep dark bush, i found it easily lit up my backyard. It's quite insane as to how bright such a small light is. I am not dissapointed at all!

cheers

Chidwack

Enlightened
Quote: At least it's small so i can hide it from my wife... she alread gave me a lecture a few months ago... NO MORE LIGHTS!

Just take it apart and put a little dirt on it. Bring it into the house in a little box. Look Honey what I picked up at a garage sale. It was all taken apart and I don't think they knew how to put it back together. They wanted $7 and I offered $5. I sure hope it works when I put it together.

davecroft

Enlightened
I envy you your view! I look out the back of my house onto an office block 20yards away! Not much good for testing the throw of my lights :-(
(Sorry off topic)!