E1e- NewBeam revisited with E-Can

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have done a few variations on the NewBeam in an E1e but now with the E-can, this mod is getting close to being simple, IMHO.
NB-E-Can.jpg

The NewBeam fits down in the counter bore ledge of the E-can as if it had been designed for it. I used an old proto PCB of Dat2zip's for the anode contact and this PCB had a perimeter ring of copper which allowed it to be soldered to the back side lip of the E-can. Two short wire leads soldered to anode and cathode of board and NewBeam and the connections were done. Arctic Alumina was used for additional structural integrity as well as gluing the NB into the E-can. A piece of 3/4" OD tubing was used as a standoff and the E-bezel was bored out to .630" (a 5/8" drill and bit of rat tail file work would also open the hole from .625" to .630").

I want to get with Wayne to see if we can't get some generic anode/ cathode PCB made for the E-can. Such a simple PCB will not only work for the NB but likely the Micro Puck and other drivers and simple resistive circuits. One could even do DD but don't tell Charlie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Raindrop

Enlightened
Don,

An E1E / Newbeam Bezel would make a great Modders BST auction item ( hint, hint, hint 0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

~Greg

paulr

Flashaholic
Why use a Newbeam if you can use a Madmax dialed down to comparable brightness?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool!

But paulr, I don't think a NewBeam is the best way to kill off old 123's... In my experience something like a BB500 and a plain old N ranked LD will put out more light on a "dead" battery than the NB will. Case in point, I had two rather dead L91's that would barely light a NB's red low-voltage indicator. Those same batteries would drive a BB500 almost as bright as an Inova X5T.

Having said all of that, a NB in an E1e sure would make a nice small task light and should cost a good bit less than a quality LS and some sort of converter board.

Jon

jtice

Flashaholic
Looks good, these ecans and esinks seem to be doing very well.
They are proving to have many applications.

paulr

Flashaholic
I do like the E-can. The Newbeam just seems a bit out of place in the E1e host.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I do like the E-can. The Newbeam just seems a bit out of place in the E1e host.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is that?
i think it's an attractive and creative mod!

there are all kinds (well, not really...but there are some) 1w luxeon mods for the e1e head...a newbeam is origional (well, it's been done before, but by don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), and has plenty of uses.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
... and it has a low-battery indicator which is wirth a lot!
... and it fits exactly in the gap betwqeen an Arc AAA and an LS light ... optimal EDC brightness.
bernhard

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo, do you get any funny artifacts along the edge of the flood from what remaings of the E1e's reflector?

Jon