Flashlight killer

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
I guess that's my new nickname. I carried an Arc-AA on my keychain for YEARS and that little light still works great. A couple of years ago, I decided to "upgrade" to an ITP-A3 EOS... It lived about 6 months. The next one lasted 4 months. The Stainless ITP-A3 EOS lasted about 6 months. My new 4Sevens Quark MiniX 123 just died. I don't know what is killing these lights, but is there a more robust, inexpensive 1xCR123A keychain light out there that will last more than a few months on a keychain? Thanks.

Sam

Imon

Enlightened
Before this thread turns into a furious debate about what size/weight/battery config makes the best keychain flashlight let me say this - perhaps a 1xCR123a light is a mite too big for a keychain light and the constant banging around is what's killing the lights?

I don't know .... how many keys do you normally carry around and do you believe that the flashlight is experiencing more than a typical dose of abuse?

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
9 keys and a remote for my truck. I wouldn't think the swinging on my keychain would count as abuse. I don't throw my keys around. I really don't know how they died. In every case, I had used the flashlight the day before and it worked fine... then went to turn it on and nothing happened... I thought the battery had died.

ragweed

Enlightened
Its hard to believe but, I don't doubt you. Have you tried cleaning them thoroughly? A lot of times this is the culprit. I only had one light go kaput over the years & it was a no name junker. I do know one guy that could not operate sensitive electrical equipment in the military without the equipment going haywire.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inexpensive and rugged are hard to find in the same light. If you need more lumens than the legendarily rugged Arc can provide you can get a Peak AAA that is brighter but just as tough. If you need more lumens one of their cr123 based lights would be rugged enough for most uses, but they are not cheap. Peak uses fully potted heads to provide exceptional durability. You may be able to get a Streamlight, which if it does die, would be replaced under warranty.

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
Its hard to believe but, I don't doubt you. Have you tried cleaning them thoroughly? A lot of times this is the culprit. I only had one light go kaput over the years & it was a no name junker. I do know one guy that could not operate sensitive electrical equipment in the military without the equipment going haywire.

I tried cleaning each of them when they died... no luck. I even tried putting the old (dead) heads on the new bodies... still no luck.

I just can't believe that being on my keychain is that abusive... I had INCANDESCENT lights on my keychain before that Arc... They all held up fine.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights should be able to stand to much more abuse than you sound like you put them through (and I know they can!)... Have you tried contacting your dealer? 4sevens give a 10 year warranty on defects and I'm sure you'll get a new one after they check it out.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you noticed when they died? Perhaps being on a keychain subjects the light to electrostatic discharge in dry environments (you, key, ZAP! and then transmitted to light?). Just a theory...

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think most folks purposely abuse their key ring lights, but hey, they get banged around and dropped, that's just the nature of their existence on a key ring.

Get a Peak. You'll have you're choice of AAA, AA, RCR123, 14500, 17500, or an N cell, and as LED_Thrift pointed out, all the electronics in the heads are sealed in a special epoxy (like the ARC), so they will stand up to the rigors of key ring use.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you often run them at their full output and leave them hanging on the keys, or laying around, while on, rather than keeping them in your hand? Just wondering if they are subjected to frequent over heating which eventually damages something. I have had a Fenix LOD-CE (XR-E Q4) and a Liteflux LF2 SSC on my keychain for years. Both are powered with a 10440. I do take care not to let them get too hot, but I have dropped my keys many times where these lights smash onto all kinds of hard surfaces. They keep going.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I do not have expirence with any of the other lights mentioned in this thread but I do have a SS Peak Eiger QTC on my key ring. It is SOLID. It feels like a piece of bar-stock in your hand. I'll be gifting a few to my father and father-in-law this upcoming Christmas.

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
Do you often run them at their full output and leave them hanging on the keys, or laying around, while on, rather than keeping them in your hand? Just wondering if they are subjected to frequent over heating which eventually damages something. I have had a Fenix LOD-CE (XR-E Q4) and a Liteflux LF2 SSC on my keychain for years. Both are powered with a 10440. I do take care not to let them get too hot, but I have dropped my keys many times where these lights smash onto all kinds of hard surfaces. They keep going.

I don't think I've dropped my keys since I got the 4sevens. I've never run it on high for more than a couple of minutes. Usually, for extended runtimes, I use low. *shrugs*

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've dropped my keys since I got the 4sevens. I've never run it on high for more than a couple of minutes. Usually, for extended runtimes, I use low. *shrugs*
I don't think it's your fault, out of the 2 ITP AAA lights that I gave out that are actually being used as keychain lights, one stopped working, the other still works.
Also, I have a friend who purchased both the Quark Mini 123 and it's twin the ITP A1 models, one was DOA and the other stopped working soon after. Both were easily replaced by their respective dealers.

Send 4Sevens an email regarding your Quark Mini. He seems to be very good with his warranty.

As for a recommendation, I would save up a little extra and get the Muyshondt Aeon for your keychain. It's actually a CR2 based light a little smaller than the Quark Mini and ITP A1. It has 2 levels low(40hrs runtime) and high(1.5 hrs runtime). Very well made, solid construction, made in the USA if that matters. I've never heard of one ever breaking down. Cost is $125, here is some more info:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?201630-The-Aeon-Hardcoat-Aluminum

Also great review here:
http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/77247-Muyshondt-Aeon-Review

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Peak. My brass Logan took a wicked nasty plummet from a balcony about 12 feet up onto solid concrete last night and there's only a tiny nick to show for it. It still works fine. I wonder how many other lights would have survived that fall...

Shooter21

Enlightened
+1 on the Peak. My brass Logan took a wicked nasty plummet from a balcony about 12 feet up onto solid concrete last night and there's only a tiny nick to show for it. It still works fine. I wonder how many other lights would have survived that fall...
thats strange since brass is very soft, its softer than aluminum.

AusKipper

Enlightened
4Sevens should replace your light as its still under warrantly.

Its not in your form factor but i use a Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel for keychain carry for quite a while now and its still going. I know you have tried the iTP which is also stainless... Perphaps your just getting unlucky :)