Mounting LED flashlight on snowblower

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I purchased a new snowblower towards the end of last winter. It has a light on it, but it's not all the great of a light.

Been thinking about how I could mount a LED flashlight on it for this winter. :)

Anyone mount a flashlight on their snowblower or I'm I just talking crazy, lol...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I picture a bike mount up on the handle, for better spread.

And while you're at it, mount five different colored LEDs pointing outward from the blower - presto, your snowblower vomits a giant rainbow..

GreySave

Enlightened
I thought about mounting a light on mine and then decided against it. I just wear one of the Fenix headbands with a neutral tint 4Sevens light. The mount will allow the use of other lights in the same general size range. By using the headlamp I have more of an all around light. Relatively tight beams work best when the snow starts flying.....

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must be from Arizona, lol..
From snowy Norway, and i dont know what a snowblower is. Sounds like a winter streethook**.:sssh: We need tractors to move the wet and heavy snow.
A hedlamp is my best friend when i fight the snow by hand, both in my driveway ,and on the roof.

looman

Enlightened
From snowy Norway, and i dont know what a snowblower is. Sounds like a winter streethook**.:sssh: We need tractors to move the wet and heavy snow.
A hedlamp is my best friend when i fight the snow by hand, both in my driveway ,and on the roof.

Dont bother..............just wait till the snow is so thick you can park on your roof.

Make sure you move it before it melts lest you look like an idiot :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe
The problem is that the roof might collapse when there is way too many tonns of melting snow on the roof. The car will only add 2 tonns, and the roof aleredy screams for mercy under the weight of the snow alone :)

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a rather large snow blower that mounts on the front of a lawn tractor. I use a fenix bike mount on a bar as described above.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight h51w headlamp....that's what I use. Definately get a neutral or warm light as it cuts throw the snow better when its blowing around.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried mounting on a two-stroke snow-thrower, the vibrations made the TwoFish rotate 180 degrees :(

Fenix headband mounted light works better.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
The snow will tend to reflect back much of the light, therefore, you want to take the foglight approach. Mount the light as low as possible (on the bucket?), and cover the top half of the lens with duct tape so that the light shines only low down and in front of you. Get a neutral- or warm-tint light (the TK20, if you can still find one, is noted for cutting through fog/snow).

Thinking about the mounting, I'd try to rig up an adjustable arm (like you see on some desk lamps or desk magnifiers) so that you can place the light as low as possible without digging into the snow.

looman

Enlightened
hehe
The problem is that the roof might collapse when there is way too many tonns of melting snow on the roof. The car will only add 2 tonns, and the roof aleredy screams for mercy under the weight of the snow alone :)

Dont be fooled by snow........It is a liar and a bluffer........dont forget it is just slow moving water. Never surrender to slow moving water

Mind you, it aint my roof

Or my car

looman

Enlightened
The snow will tend to reflect back much of the light, therefore, you want to take the foglight approach. Mount the light as low as possible (on the bucket?), and cover the top half of the lens with duct tape so that the light shines only low down and in front of you. Get a neutral- or warm-tint light (the TK20, if you can still find one, is noted for cutting through fog/snow).

Thinking about the mounting, I'd try to rig up an adjustable arm (like you see on some desk lamps or desk magnifiers) so that you can place the light as low as possible without digging into the snow.

Avoiding your lights digging into the snow is easy to solve.............just get a snow blower and you can clear a low level path for the lights to get close to the ground.........................or....................maybe i have missed something :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]And while you're at it, mount five different colored LEDs pointing outward from the blower - presto, your snowblower vomits a giant rainbow..

:twothumbs

From snowy Norway, and i dont know what a snowblower is. Sounds like a winter streethook**.:sssh: We need tractors to move the wet and heavy snow.[...]
:crackup:

I'd go with a Fenix bike mount on each side bar AND a headlamp, plus the colored LEDs StarHalo suggested. Are you a flashaholic or what? But seriously, I would definitely consider a bike mount plus a headlamp. I'd also consider options for upgrading the original light if at all possible.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Not sure handlebar mounts would work on my snowblower.
Here is what I have. I would like to keep the light at least as high as the built in light.
31BM63P3766_prod_detail.jpg

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_10124_55003_-1

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The highest place I see you can install a light is under the controls on the sides, unless you attach some tubing or the likes that extends upwards. I would just put 2 bike mounts on each side right up to the controls (it should fit without problems) and wear a headlamp.