3-in-1= A2 Killer? Full review complete!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Ok. It won't be an A2 killer, I'm sure. But it may be a much less expensive alternative for those of you who don't have the ca$h for an A2. So far it looks pretty good. Hefty weight. Bezel size and overall length same as a Tec40.

FULL REVIEW IS NOW AVAILABLE HERE:

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/xenergy_3in1.htm

Pic 1 - family photo - Tec40, 3in1, Scorpion, E2

3in1-1.jpg

Pic 2 - 3in1 3 LEDs on vs Inova x5t

3in1-2.jpg

Pic 3 - 3in1 6 LEDs on vs Inova x5t

3in1-3.jpg

Pic 4 - 3in1 vs Scorpion - both tightest focus

3in1-4.jpg

Pic 5 - 3in1 vs E2

3in1-5.jpg

Review coming soon - just got it in the mail and had time for a few quick pics. All pics at 1 meter.

Gandalf

Enlightened
It's kind of big, but it certainly looks like it performs nicely. How is the beam when it's not tightly focused?

Or I could just ask if it has a textured reflector or not.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still waiting for mine but the pictures of it do show a textured reflector.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
It's not that great with the incandescent focused into a flood light but much better than a mag when it's focused as a flood. It's a little better than having a mag with WriteRight on it. It has a textured reflector but I keep it in a tight spot. I don't know why you would do otherwise. You've got the leds for a nice flood light. I'm telling ya guys. This is a nice light. I've got both the rechargeable and 2x123 versions and I like both.

Streamchucker

bucken

Enlightened
Hey Guys,

FWIW, I just replaced the bulb in my XenErgy with one taken from a Brinkmann LX. The LX bulb DOES work. I don't have any way of accurately measuring it, but it DOES appear to be just slightly brighter than the original bulb. The biggest change, however, is that the LX bulb's tightest spot seems to be significantly larger than the original's.

A word of caution... Be very careful if you remove the original bulb. The bi-pin leads are 5/16" long, and are held very tight. I used a wide rubber band with a very long and thin pair of needle nose pliars to remove it. The LX bulb will fit perfectly; just make sure the bulb is pushed in all the way. Oh, and remember to remove any traces of oil that may be left on the bulb from your fingers before you turn it on.

In brief, I found the flashlight to be somewhat bulkier and heavier than I was expecting. It is, however, very well made with a LOT of metal. It comes with two Panasonic batteries, a nylon case, and a lanyard attached. For $39, though, it does offer a lot of versatility, and IS less bulky than an LX. If you don't mind the 1 1/2" bezel dia., and the sequenced switching, then I would definately recommend it. The LED's on mine are definately bluish tinted, but very bright and equally matched.

Anyone know what the lense is made of? It seems to be several steps BETTER than cheap plastic.

Catdaddy

Enlightened
XenErgy included a bulb removing tool with my light. I used it to replace my blub right after I got it. I mentioned in another thread that I went with the Legend LX bulb.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003740

THe Scorpion prongs are too short btw. Mine was definitely brighter after switching to the LX.

Also, My LEDs are not as blue as the ones in these photos.
John

moses

Enlightened
Good to see these lights increasingly noticed. As Streamchucker and other have noted, a very versatile light. I too have a couple of rechargeables and one lithium. Both versions are equally bright.

Since Ni-Cads have relatively FLAT discharge, I don't miss the regulated power supply. Lithiums - don't know how it functions but I assume no different than otherlithiums.

Mind my piggybacking a quick review? (In addition to the other two mentioned.)

1. Very versatile. These lights are now our most often used daily lights. Having two in one is just incredibly useful. We take it on our nightly walks as a family and most the time, just use the LEDs. When we're curious about something, use the Xenon beams. At night, when working late and going into my kids room, the 3 leds is just the right level of light without disturbing them. Surefire A2 has 3 leds if I'm correct so I assume the 6 leds are brighter. Last night, my wife needed to work with the kids sleeping. Just point the LED up to the ceiling and nice low level light.

They even include a functional Lanyard. Plus the item is flat on the bottom and stands up even with the lanyard. No problem.

This light and the ARC LS is replacing ALL our other lights except for one TACM (small, light, longest reach of 2lithiums).

2. Quality is excellent for the price. Even at double the price it would be a good buy. ($100 - rechargeable) I would think this is a good light. As some have said, lots of metal. The precision is good- everything screws on tightly with no play. The LEDS are exactly matched in color and brightness although that really doesn't matter with LEDS in an array. I do have one unit where the LEDS are 'warmer' than the bluer ones. (Incidentally, the picture above showing very blue seem to come from the camera color balance rather than being realy so blue?)

3. Quality #2: There seem to be truth in advertising with company. With the Nicad, they state 50 minutes runtime with the rechargeable before dimming. Well, my packs DO run 50 minutes. I did a test. VERY pleased. The flashlight gets comfortably warm but not hot at all after 50 minutes. The aluminium acts as as a massive heatsink.

3. My pick is the rechargeable. For $50, you get a rechargeable pack, charger, AC adapter, Leds, Xenon, Three switches. Are you kidding? This is a STEAL! Incidentally, the rechargeable's length is the same as the Surefire 8X and a little fatter. As others have observed, a lot of aluminium.

4. Beam quality. I'm very satisfied. Has a faceted reflector so beam is good. PLUS focusable. Mine focus down tighter than the Legend LX which is a nice beam in its own right.

5. The head comes out for a 'candle light' effect. 160 degree angle becaues of the head's 'lip' so it is near candlelight effect. You can do that with both the Xenon and LED. Probably works well in this mode in a tent etc. That 3 led would burn well over a dozen hours in a tent. Good call. At times, have wished Surefire can do the candle mode.

6. I have not figured out or attempted to take the thing apart. But it seems that this thing is ready for some mods. There's more than enough aluminium to cut some space out inside and put some circuits.

7. Now that we know it takes normal bi-pin. Can a 110 lumen bulb be far behind? (Same as Surefire 8X's bulb.) Really, the sky's the limit on bulbs with this thing.

8. My one concern is the plastic reflector. Anyone knows other high powered high heat plastic reflectors that holds up?

9. Back to China - the quality and creativity of the products is really becoming good. Wonder what threat this represents to American manufacturers. OR maybe the US manufacturers will begin to OEM high quality lights overseas too? (Not trying to start a debate - just wondering. Always in business, follow the money trail.)

10. Idle musing: Anyone know if Surefire tried to patent the two in one concept? If so I wonder if their legal dept. also went after these guys? Hard to stop as the manufacturer is in China and sells around the world. As it is, I think their product hit the market well before Surefire's. Just idle musing here. (Again, follow the money trail.)

Any comments?
MO

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
In response: Yes, it is the one discussed in the other threads - from Lifestyle Fascination. I started this thread to display the pics separately.

It has "XenErgy" printed on the side. I also found it heavier than expected. The bezel is textured and adjustable for focus. The flood is a smoother version of what you would get from a mag - still has rings and holes but not as bad.

Pics were taken with stock bulb - performs well enough (as you can see in the pics) that you shouldn't need to switch it out with any others.

The LEDs are not as blue as shown - the white balance on the camera automatically sets itself and sometimes gets it wrong. I didn't have time to set it manually for the pics. Too much going on last night.

Not as bright as the x5 on 3 LED setting, brighter than the x5 on the 6 LED setting.

Included with the light were the bulb removing tool, lanyard, 2 123a batteries and nylon carry case for the belt.

Odd thing about the switch - the light goes out and then back on when switching between modes. Leaves you in the dark as long as you hold the switch down. Changes modes on the upstroke of the switch.

Thats all for now. A nice light!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by fishface:
1st time posting please forgive if not done
correctly
Brinkman rebel filters fit great protects lens adds color options
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fishface,

Welcome aboard!

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by moses:
......Back to China - the quality and creativity of the products is really becoming good. Wonder what threat this represents to American manufacturers.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mo,

Sorry for straying off topic, but I think the threat is huge and IMO will become a major, disruptive economic challenge to the US. I'm already seeing it effect businesses including a friend's small business.

Brightnorm

The Wolf

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so The Sportsman's Guide is out of these things. Where can I get the rechargeable version? They look great!

rlhess

Enlightened
Originally posted by moses:
Back to China - the quality and creativity of the products is really becoming good. Wonder what threat this represents to American manufacturers. OR maybe the US manufacturers will begin to OEM high quality lights overseas too?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mo (and Brightnorm),

Some of the Streamlight lights are made in China, I believe. In fact, I think the company that makes this light also makes the Septor Headlamp (under their own name)...or maybe it was another similar lamp. But the 4AA and 3C LEDs are made in the USA.

Cheers,

Richard

fishface

Newly Enlightened
1st time posting please forgive if not done
correctly
Brinkman rebel filters fit great protects lens adds color options

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, to me, the output of this light seems to beat the X5T, is that right?

The beam shots appear to be quite blue. Is the camera changing the color of the beam or was this with blue LED's on this light as well as the X5T?

I'm considering a purchase of an X5T and am having second thoughts due to it's apparent lack of brightness...