Best bulb choice for 55W HID ballast (looking for throw)

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
So I'm working on final HID upgrade. I have a professional's favorite that I was able to find a 55W ballast for (that fits behind the reflector). I'm going for the most throw I can get... Is it better to put in a 55W (H4) bulb to match the ballast or is it better to put in a 35W (H4)and overdrive it with the 55W ballast???

If I do overdrive it, what are the dangers of overdriving? I know it's more likely to burn out sooner, but, is it going to explode and do some type of damage to the reflector, the lens, or possibly people near it??

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm driving 3 ea., 35 watt bulbs with "55 Watt" ballasts in 3 different lights. The 3 ballasts provide 43, 47 and 53 Watts to the bulb so they are not as over driven as you might think. I've had zero issues with catastrophic bulb failures. I really don't put that many hours on my lights so I will probably never realize any bulb life loss. If the 2000 hr life becomes 1000 hours, I'll never see it. My take on most 35 & 50 Watt bulbs is that they are pretty much the same bulb, whether they come with a 35 Watt kit or a 55 Watt kit. Some may actually be different but I am skeptical. One of my favorites of these 3 lights is the 53 Watt over driven 6000K original Costco HID lamp. It's a beautiful 5000 to 5500 color temp.

I'd start with the 35 Watt bulb and see what happens. I'd still be cautious and not run it without it being secure in the glass covered reflector.

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the post BHV.

I have my 55W China ballast on order so I'll give it a shot in about 3 weeks. I originally started with 4300K bulbs because everyone said they were brighter and looked nicer. I just ordered a batch of 6000K bulbs because they 4300s were way to yellow for me. I'm about 10,000 times happier with the 6000K bulbs. They are way more pleasing (and bright) to my eye than any of the 4300K.

One nice thing about the 55W ballast is I should get a little bit more run time out of my light with the 7AH SLA battery than I do with the 75W ballast.