Went on an African Safari. Brought my own Zebra's

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
Sort of a dream come true kind of thing. My wife and I just got back from an African hunting safari in the country of South Africa. She hunted with a camera and I did it with a rifle (... well and some camera). In this case though we brought along our own zebra's. She used my SC60w and I used my SC600. We had electricity though we were deep in the bush and way off the beaten path. She is not into flashlights but it was her reading light and companion for the week. Never needed to change out the battery with the way she used it. The SC600 was my 24/7 companion. On it's lowest setting it made a great night light and kept me on course to the br in the wee hours. Though we hunted into dusk there was never a need to follow up game after dark (though some others were not so lucky) but the SC600 and a couple spare batteries were on hand. I did wander around some after dark so, bright or dim, it was always just right. South Africa suffers from a serious power shortage so there are frequent power blackouts. We had one over dinner time. The food was cooked over gas but there was only candles to eat by (could not see what was in the food bowls to dish it out). Once again this little pocket light came to the rescue. I have a white diffuser cut down from a Fenix TK-12 to fit it so in it went and I tied the flashlight to the overhead light above the table. At 200 lumens we could all see what we were eating and still enjoy a candle lit dinner.

Here in the states I tend to edc a smaller light but whenever it's practical the SC600 pays off in versatility. It's the only light I carried in Africa. I took my D11.2 and my TK 21 but never even turned them on. They are great lights but the one in my pocket every day was the SC600. As I said before, whenever out hunting or sightseeing, my daypack had 2-3 extra AW2200 batteries just in case. A week in the bush turned up the only weakness I see in either the SC60 or SC600. That is the fact that I cannot actually hand it to someone who needs a flashlight without a tutorial in it's use. I would like to see Zebralight add an on/off function to their electronic switch. Something like pushing the power button 12 times fast to turn the SC600 into a simple on or off flashlight with about 200 lumens. In any case. Great trip. Great lights.

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
Cool story Big Sam.... Glad to see the SC600 was all you needed in the bush. It's the only light I have had on me for 2 weeks and love it. How many batteries did you go though in the week? I have a hard time running them down lol

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
Hi Wildweed. In all fairness there was probably no need to recharge the battery at all but I did once just to keep it over 80% all the time.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Must have been a great trip, Sam. Sounds like you were well prepared. I hope the hunt was a success.

Geoff

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Neat!

I'm heading to South Africa in January for a family vacation.

Intending to bring:

1. Surefire Saint headlight (for me)
2. HDS Rotary 200 (for me)
3. 6P w/ M61 (for the group)
4. Zebralight H501 (for the group)
5. ? ? ? <--- I need a gift light for my father, do not know which light though. I need a reasonably bright (200lm) light with nice throw (70:30, throw:spill) and a very simple UI. 2 mode low-high with a 15lm low and 200lm high. AA batteries only. Ideas?

Do you have any tips or must-do / must-see things in South Africa?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this case though we brought along our own zebra's.

Good pun there. For a moment, you had me....

Out of curiosity, what was the general reaction from the animals to a SC600's max output?

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it was a great safari. Hunting was outstanding along with every other part of the adventure. I only shined the SC600 at some sable (along with some camera flashs) and got no response. Just glowing eyes.

I am a terrrible tourist as such. The non hunting highlight of my trip was being with the giraffe's in their elements. Pretty much worth the price of the ticket just to be around these amazing animals in the wild. Caution is the first word when visiting South Africa. The unemployment rate is about 50% and the crime rate is off the charts. Johanesburg is a very dangerous place. Just get in and get out if you need to be there. However, we had a couple that came up from Capetown and they said it was a great tourist area. I'm told Kruger National Park is worth the trip.

But back to the flashlights. The SC600 proved to be a great choice. It's the biggest little light I own and it's versatility makes it unique to me.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
pics or it never happened :devil:

joking aside, sounds like a great trip... would you hesitate going back?
ive been to a few far off places, there are some where i immediately want to go back to, and some i never care to go back to LoL.

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
pics or it never happened :devil:

joking aside, sounds like a great trip... would you hesitate going back?
ive been to a few far off places, there are some where i immediately want to go back to, and some i never care to go back to LoL.

Good morning Skyfire,

I firgured a buch of pictures of dead animals would be considered poor taste on a flashlight forum. Yes I do hope to go back in 2 or 3 years as finances and South Africa's politics allow. My wife and I had a wonderful time. It is probably the best deal for hunting on the planet. The people are great. I left 2 Fenix AA flashlights & a bunch of batteries behind. Will leave more behind next time.

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
I brought a heaband that has loops to hold a couple of my lights. The need just never came up though. I went on a primitive hunt (no power) in Idaho some years back and used an led headlamp constantly. Just depends on the situation.

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it was a great safari. Hunting was outstanding along with every other part of the adventure. I only shined the SC600 at some sable (along with some camera flashs) and got no response. Just glowing eyes.

I am a terrrible tourist as such. The non hunting highlight of my trip was being with the giraffe's in their elements. Pretty much worth the price of the ticket just to be around these amazing animals in the wild. Caution is the first word when visiting South Africa. The unemployment rate is about 50% and the crime rate is off the charts. Johanesburg is a very dangerous place. Just get in and get out if you need to be there. However, we had a couple that came up from Capetown and they said it was a great tourist area. I'm told Kruger National Park is worth the trip.

But back to the flashlights. The SC600 proved to be a great choice. It's the biggest little light I own and it's versatility makes it unique to me.
Wow I suddenly feel just like Rambo:D. Been living in Johannesburg for 9 years without a single incident. Although I understand that it may be dangerous a person that brings along even a little bit of common sense will be just fine most of the time ;)

As for lighting I agree. The SC600 seems like an ideal travel companion when it comes to trips. One of the other members also discovered that a Film canister fits nicely over the head of the SC600 and acts as a nice diffuser if needed. Think he posted it in the ZL mods thread.