brightest hotspot (farthest throw?) in E-series form factor head

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy to say that after participating here for years, I still can't say if a higher number for something like selfbuilt's "lux @1 meter" necessarily means more throw, but I think it does. What I'm looking for max beam intensity at the hotspot at 1 meter -- I think that necessarily means more throw also -- in a light that has a headsize around what the E-series has. Let's say 28mm or less, preferably around 25mm. My champ right now is my Olight T20M, which I think is an xpg-r5. I'm trying to keep the entire light around e-series sized, though I can deal with increased diameter for an 18650 for the battery tube... I'm guessing none of the xml lights will match the Olight t20, but wondering if that light's beam has been surpassed since. Big bummer on the Olight is the horrendous donut hole -- only the outer ring of the hot spot is crazy bright.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a bezel diameter of an E series... i dont think you can beat the LX2 or E2DL in terms of throw.
good throw, with a wide hotspot. the TIR optics provides more throw when compared to any reflector of the same diameter.

and lights using XP-E or XR-E emitters will throw better than the same light using XP-G.

examples would be the older XP-E quarks compared to the newer XP-G quarks.
or the older model jetbeams using XR-E compared to the newer models using XP-G.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I came up with the question because of another thread asking about lx2 throw; I was shocked at how much throw it had for a head so small, and wondered what other lights with similar size or slightly bigger bezels could do the same. Now I just need to see if I can buy just an E2DL head to go on my E2D body ... kx2c head is close enough (just one level, fine for me), but at $150 just for the head .

Last edited: