EagleTac D25A2 Mini: review - impressions, pictures, beamshots

dheim

Newly Enlightened
the D25A2, one of the brand new D series flashlights from EagleTac, is fueled (as name suggests) by 2 AA cells and sports a Cree XP-G S2 LED. 129.5 mm long, with a diameter of 17.5 mm, it's not bigger than the average penlight, but is obviously thicker. i wouldn't carry it in my front pocket, though, even if the excellent in-built clip looks inviting and definitely solid... the bezel, as well as the clip, is made from stainless steel, and gives this otherwise generic light a competent look. It's a twisty, so it lacks any protruding tail button and can stand safely as a candle.
the light comes in a nice black cardboard box, with a well made lanyard and an excellent rigid holster.

IMG_9874_resize.jpg

IMG_9879_resize.jpg

IMG_9892_resize.jpg

IMG_9883_resize.jpg

IMG_9882_resize.jpg
IMG_9880_resize.jpg

The UI is not what i'd call ingenious... basic twist operation, so tightening the head turns the light on, in low mode. loosening shuts it off. repeating the operation within 1.5 seconds changes mode, so to get medium and turbo/high mode the torch must be switched off every time between different levels (doing it with a single hand is easy but not too pleasant). After two complete cycles the light enters in strobe mode. leaving it off for more than 1.5 seconds resets everything, so the next twist will start again from low level. well... at least it doesn't start from turbo!

I'm not fond of these twisty UIs, and honestly, i find any strobe mode that's not immediately accessible when needed to be perfectly useless... i can't imagine anyone having the time and cold blood to perform subsequent twists (or clicks, for that matters) to scare a pack of wild dogs or to blind an attacker... anyway, levels and modes are the following.

- low: 3 lumens (>100 h declared runtime) - no extra-hyper low modes that everyone seems to love so much, but enough light to walk indoor
- medium: 59 lm (7 h) - enough for general outdoor use
- turbo/high: 209/175 lm (1.5 h) - turbo mode switches to high after 90 seconds to avoid overheating, and it doesn't look like an excess of prudence, the head becomes quite hot at maximum output. high is quite bright anyway.

- strobe ("stunning" quick flashes at constant speed) - flash hi (for general signalling) - SOS (a bit too slow, in my opinion) - beacon - flash low

note: above values are ANSI-OTF readings, but the light is advertised using direct LED readings, with quite unrealistic 325 lm in turbo mode!

the beam is very nice, smooth and floody, in Zebralight style. EagleTac declares an 85 meters maximum throw, a 6.5° spot and a 42° spill, and even if Zebralight declares anlges twice as wide for the SC51 the two beams look very similar, the D25's being even a bit wider. tint is a very pure cold white, without any hint of green

low exposure wall shots... actually the beam looks much brighter!
"real life" outdoor and/or indoor beamshots, as well as comparative shots will come in near future...

IMG_9901_resize.jpg

turbo (209 lm)

IMG_9902_resize.jpg

high (175 lm)

IMG_9900_resize.jpg

medium (59 lm)

IMG_9899_resize.jpg

low (3 lm)

IMG_9901_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9862_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9907_resize_resize.jpg

from left to right: DS25 turbo (209 lm), SC51 high1 (200 lm), Preon2 high (160 lm)

:) The D25A2 Mini is (or at least looks) well made, with good care of details and a nice presentation, has a very nice beam (at least for my tastes), it's bright and cheap and safe to operate with AA cells, making for an excellent EDC choice, if you can live with the longer 2xAA size. the included holster is nice and solid, even if it's not very small for pocket carrying (yep, i usually carry torches in their pouches to avoid scratching and dirt, i don't like to have light free in my pockets)

:( personally i don't like the UI, and the twisty all-in-one operation, although handy in very small lights like the Fenix E05, is completely pointless in a not so small 2xAA torch... i would have happily traded a cm more of total lenght for a tail switch (and maybe a twisty level selector). the stainless steel bezel looks great but probably doesn't help with heat management, so turbo mode can be sustained for really little time

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent user review, dheim. The write-up and beam shots must have taken you several hours. Anyone who was unsure whether he wanted this light should now be able to make a fully informed decision. Thanks!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review. The holsters in the D-Series are of very nice quality. They remind me a lot of the holster that comes with the 4Sevens Maelstrom X10/12 in the way it is shaped and molded to hold the light, only smaller.

I recently picked up a D25A (arrived yesterday). A lot of bang for the buck imho. Holster aside, the retail box itself also draws a parallel to 4Sevens (minus the preview window) - thick and velvet-like soft on the outside.

The UI is nothing new, and seems to take another page out of the 4Sevens book. So if you are familiar with the MiNi/Preon line, this UI will feel right at home. The only difference here is that an additional flashy mode is available on the D25A.

Despite these similarities to 4Sevens, I do feel the D25A improves upon the MiNi line in a few areas. Tint on the D25A (XP-G S2) is excellent on my sample. It's white, with the smallest tinge of yellow in the hotspot, and bright! All main and common cell configurations are offered on the D-Series. I don't know if I would really use a twisty 18650, but it's nice to have that option for those that may be interested. Arriving with a pocket clip attached is also welcome, and I don't recall seeing this on any other twisty lights (although I'm sure there may be others) aside from the iTP A/Olight i line. And what I really appreciate is the D-Series lights are current controlled.

That said, there are two issues I have with the D25A. Out of the box, the threads feel...not entirely gritty, but dirty. The action is smooth, yet still feels like something is there. To be fair, I have not cleaned and lubed it yet but I am sure this would fix it right up. The other issue is when the head is fully tightened, either to turn on or loosened and tightened again so to advance the next mode. It is both audible and felt when the head contacts the battery. Nothing major, but I seem to find it a bit of an annoyance.

Despite my very minor gripes, I like the D25A and the additions that come with it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

j2k

Newly Enlightened
I got a neutral white D25A a few days ago. No problems with the threads, actually very smooth and I didn't lube them. Holster is great. And since this light will live in my pocket the holster will hold my leatherman juice - perfect fit :)
It's a great little light but the tint on my copy is unfortunately yellow green.

dheim

Newly Enlightened
the D25A is very attractive, but the output is more or less half than the SC51's... 86 continuous lumens (and even 100 for 90 seconds) are really too few - on paper... how does it look in real world?

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Great review.... I just wish they had a neutral readily available... From your beam shots it seems the hotspot on the Eagle is stronger than the Zebra's but the Zebra has a slightly larger spill...

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
What so they mean by ANSI OTF? I usually see the ratings saying just ANSI only.

dheim

Newly Enlightened
What so they mean by ANSI OTF? I usually see the ratings saying just ANSI only.

good question... that confused me too. what i can say is that eagle's 209 lm on turbo are definitely brighter than zebra's 200, and of course it doesn't depend on those 9 more lm, so i believe they're ANSI (zebra claims 200 OTF)... my SWM V10r is rated at 210 lm, but the beam is narrower, with a tighter and brighter hotspot, and tint is completely different (my SWM is perfectly neutral white, not cool), so i can't really judge, but i'd say that the eagle emits more light.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Excellent review! I especially appreciate your mention of the general price range one might expect to pay for this light.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Im perplexed too ...Is zebra rated at 200 ANSI lumens against this one 100ish ANSI lumens??

Can you confirm that it has a throw of about 85 metres as EagleTac is claiming?

Thanks for that great review by the way.