Is it just me... or has JetBeam been doing down hill?

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
Don't get me wrong, I like JetBeam lights....

I love my Jet-I-Pro and I feel a XM-L RRT-3 in the near future, but...

Whats with the color change on the RRT-3 to Black and the Body still saying 1200 lumens?? Not a big deal, but its a $300+ light, and I much liked the gray color.

Whats with the some of their new lights... RRT-0 , PA10, PC10 XM-Ls (its almost like they are preying on uneducated consumers)

Is Sysmax a new company that took them over? I also read that the fit/finish isn't as good as the older lights. Not something I know from experience, just things I've read in my lighting adventures.

As much as I want to buy/like the RRT-0, PA10, PC10.... those output figures don't seem realistic for most users. Buying unprotected IMR cells and constantly worrying about voltage isn't something I want to do. Unless I am buying this to show off to friends, or dazzle myself, I don't see them having any real world applications.

Aside from my grips about the RRT-3, Its still pretty high on my list just based on size, output, variable lumen range, and beam pattern.

Anyone else share the same sentiments about JetBeam?

dheim

Newly Enlightened
it's not only JB, many brands are pushing this new "overdriven XM-L in small light" trend, and in some torch it even seems that with regular cells the output is lower than with the good ol' XP-G... not a good trend.

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
When you refer to other brands or lights are you referring to things like the Zebralight SC600 or EagleTac T20C2 MKII XM-L?? I was feeling those were still pretty good considering it was being driven by an 18650...

I'm sure lights like the 4 Sevens MiniX 123 XM-L falls into that category; but its not really over driven, they state 210 OTF. So I guess its just a really floddy version of that light.

What others were you thinking of?

I think in Single CR123, AA sized lights, the XM-L really feels out of place to me. I want to like it, but something just doesn't feel right.

In a way I was happy to see Klarus (smaller XT lights) and Fenix PD32 still using the XP-G not giving into the XM-L trends.

Im just having reservations about trying any of JetBeams newer lights after seeing the new P series lights.

dheim

Newly Enlightened
i didn't try the eagletac but the SC600 is one of my favourites torches ever! i was referring to the incoming XM-L edition of sunwayman lights, or to xeno lights like the E03 or the cube, or new jetbeams... i tried some of them with a 14500 but it seems overkill! i just think it's a bit stupid to advertise a pocket light as being able to "fire" >500 lumens when you can't do it for more than 4-5 minutes!

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
but the SC600 is one of my favourites torches ever!

Please dont tell me that lol... Just another light to add to the WANT list... I must admit, the interface/UI is pretty cool.

You ever have a chance to try out the Klarus XT10? Just curious how it compares to the SC600.

Trying not to derail my own thread, but I had to ask.

mmace1

Enlightened
OP - have you ah...noticed the MASSIVE SC600 circle-jer...ahem, I mean appreciate thread that's constantly (even now) on the front page? ; )

It seems a pretty safe bet that it's an excellent, excellent light.

pblanch

Enlightened
I really like the floodyness of the XML's and I think suit a smaller form factor for me. The reduced runtimes on outrages bright is a waste thought. I have been watching the JB PA40 for a while now and think it is a good light but too big to edc in anything but a bag.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea it's just you buddy.

What may not appeal to you will appeal
to others.

yowzer

Enlightened
They seem to be transitioning to a lower end light company... how long has it been since they've released a new light with what was their trademark programmable IBS interface? Every time they revise a light with a newer emitter, they also seem to do things like reducing the heat sinking material...

That said, some of their newer models like the PA40 look really nice, even if they don't have the same style or UI as the older ones.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
No IBS?
not these "trapezoid" threads?
no natural (like) anodizing?
--> no Jetbeam

... I really wonder that the maker is still in business. When they were actual - when I got mit Jet III Pro ST - they were present here all the time.

feeling those were still pretty good considering it was being driven by an 18650...
wonder what You mean with that?
:thinking:
as this is the best setup in the moment.
What else would give better results?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say Jetbeam is moving down market. They are making cheaper lights.

Here is an example:
I had the original jetbeam RRT-2 with an XRE. It had a big heavy copper heat sink. Then they changed the emitter in the RRT-2 to an XP-G and the copper heat sink was replaced with a lighter chunk of aluminum that could not remove as much heat. The XPG RRT-2 was much lighter than the original. Then they replaced the RRT-2 XPG with an XML and the weight of the light went down again.

So yes, they are cheapening up their lights. They are nowhere near as nice as they were 1.5 years ago. Personally, I would not purchase one anymore.

kreisler

Banned
I would say Jetbeam is moving down market. They are making cheaper lights (...) and the weight of the light went down again.

So yes, they are cheapening up their lights.
the milling starts from a full block of aluminum. milling more makes the product lighter and less robust (so that they look'n feel cheaper) but jetbeam doesnt save money by doing so. they are producing more light-weight products not in order to be more economical with the aluminum. hollowing out more (=milling thinner walls) is actually jetbeam wasting money because they lose valuable material. (maybe the milled aluminium is recycled?)

jetbeam sells its products expensive, except for the new budget line (BA series).

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Seriously? There is the RRT-0 xm-l thread to demonstrate that I.e. They sell a flashlight as RCR compatible when amperage at battery end well exceeds RCR specs. That has been the final reason that drove my affection to this brand to a definitive drop.

Racer

Enlightened
I'm still a rookie flashaholic, and I don't own a high end Jetbeam. But I'm sure impressed with my BA10 as a budget light. A couple of those are going as Xmas presents this year. I will be buying a BC10 definitely too for my own use, but this thread is making me a little unsure about buying the PC25, which I've had my eye on.

Seems like recently there is just much more competition for my flashlight dollars.

badmanners

Newly Enlightened
I've got some older Jetbeams, and some newer ones, but they are different classes of light, so I can't really compare them.

My RRT-0 and RRT-1 from over a year ago are still great lights. To my eye, and anyone I show them to, they appear to be top quality. They are also both very usable lights.

Last week I got a BC40, and yes, it's obviously a budget light - but I'm still happy with it for the price. It's simple and light weight, and also pretty bright. It's also my first 2x18650 light.

The thing that really impresses me with my older RRT-1 is the throw - it puts out a nice sharp spot. I have read that the XML's create a floodier beam.

I am still very interested in getting the new RRT-15 XML, in the hopes that it will be similar to my RRT-1, but I can use it with 2 batteries.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought the Jetbeam III M XML, and quality is still there. Many CPF people are basing the quality and judgement against the new RRT-0 XML which they are putting it down for the battery performance at which nobody is definitely sure about. I say go for the PC25 since it is a higher end Jetbeam, and can be powered by 18650 battereis, or any combination.
I'm still a rookie flashaholic, and I don't own a high end Jetbeam. But I'm sure impressed with my BA10 as a budget light. A couple of those are going as Xmas presents this year. I will be buying a BC10 definitely too for my own use, but this thread is making me a little unsure about buying the PC25, which I've had my eye on.

Seems like recently there is just much more competition for my flashlight dollars.

Enlightened
I had the original jetbeam RRT-2 with an XRE. It had a big heavy copper heat sink. Then they changed the emitter in the RRT-2 to an XP-G and the copper heat sink was replaced with a lighter chunk of aluminum that could not remove as much heat. The XPG RRT-2 was much lighter than the original. Then they replaced the RRT-2 XPG with an XML and the weight of the light went down again.

Bro, think you are slightly mistaken. Where did you get such info? The RRT-2 XP-G went from 156g to the RRT-2 XM-L at 161g. No corners cut here. But yes the original one is 175g. But hey that's just a couple of grams and it's not as if they dived from 160-170g league down to say 130-140 (most lights in this league are actually 120g) - i have done heat sag tests and the XM-L output does not sag much even at 30 deg C (actually slightly better than competing lights simply because this one is not driven particularly hard). I posted a vid below....it's a demo video so of course they'd showcase only good stuff, still it's excellent marketing material.

Perhaps somebody can name me another light which does 160g, in the same class of 140mm light and 30mm front bezel range. I couldn't find any (maybe you could).

For usd85 shipped, i am definitely happy with my purchase of the RRT-2 XM-L. But some of the other lights from JB, well yeah...i don't get it, it's like even worse than Fenix.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one point I had all the RRT-2 versions. I tested them all side by side and I'm going from weight in my hand. It is a 100% fact that the old version (my favorite) had a heavy copper heat sink and the new version are no longer copper and no longer as heavy (due to less heat sink material). I suspect that is why they cannot drive their XML as hard as other XML lights of the same size. But...that is also why the new RRT-2 costs less than the oldest version.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about newer JB's but I have an M1X that is on par with the more numerous Fenix's I've had.

As far as the usage of XM-L's I like them...overdriven or not. I think it gives the best of both worlds.... you get brighter spill and when driven hard you can still get plenty of throw... I think smaller form factors are fine with the XM-L... you can get 7-800 lumens, or on low get tons of runtime. A bright spill makes it useful at closer distances and with sheer power enough throw for 99% of my needs.