Lost my Streamlight Stylus Pro, need new EDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedsix

Enlightened
I lost my Streamlight and that was a really good light for my needs. It was slim enough and had a pocket clip. I like others here have a bunch of lights but tend to carry one or two that are the most comfortable and easiest to carry. The Streamlight was one of my FACS but I would like to try something different since there are always good lights out there that I don't know of.

I liked most things about the Pro but there are a few things I would change if I could.

I would prefer it to be a little shorter. If it needs to only have one AAA, that wouldn't be a deal breaker. Doesn't have to be super short, thin is more important than length.

I would like a second low mode. The high was a bit too bright for close up work sometimes but I could live with it. Don't want more than two modes and the twist to set modes is best so I don't have to click twice to get the mode I want. I will keep it in high 80% of the time.

MUST have:
Clicky
Clip
AAA battery
1-2 modes, no more. Can't be bothered with 6 modes that you have to program and they always fail.
Decent throw. The Pro had great throw for a penlight.

So what are my options in a 1-2AAA penlight with a clip? Price is not an issue.

speedsix

Enlightened
Also, made in the USA is a huge plus. I am going to try to buy American whenever possible. It is good for the country but also seems like you get a better quality product most of the time.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
EagleTac PN20a2 - double the output on high compared to Stylus Pro, need to keep it on low mode about 25 lumens for similar battery life. Same dimensions though and twice the price at $39 - have to decide if type III HA, fully waterproof, included diffuser, neutral option, etc. is worth it for you.

probably going to be best 1-2 AAA thrower and only one with perfect regulation.

varmint

Enlightened
I have a Terrulux, love the tail switch configuration, Fenix EO1 & EO5 & the Streamlight Microstream for EDC, the Microstream usually wins out, I really like that little light. The EO5 would be great if it had a pocket clip. So its the Microstream for me. I have looked at others but always seem to pick it up for carry.
Larry

Texas Made

Newly Enlightened
How about a preon 2? Seems to fit your criteria. I just bought one and like it. My only complaint would be that the body could have been made of heavier material and knurled.

Harry999

Enlightened
I add another vote for the Preon 2. I have the Hi CRI version and have reserved a S2 XP-G version in titanium in Preon 1 form. I can simply interchange the heads as required to decide which one is in 1xAAA format and which one is in 2xAA format. I regret not getting a Preon 1 or 2 before. I have missed out on a great EDC light which is perfect for smart business dress.

speedsix

Enlightened
Has anyone compared the Streamlight Stylus Pro to the Microstream? I had the newer 48 lum SL Stylus Pro so is that a lt brighter than the 20 lums MS?

speedsix

Enlightened
EagleTac PN20a2 - double the output on high compared to Stylus Pro, need to keep it on low mode about 25 lumens for similar battery life. Same dimensions though and twice the price at $39 - have to decide if type III HA, fully waterproof, included diffuser, neutral option, etc. is worth it for you.

Just checked that one out. Looks good. Didn't know about that one so it is on my very short list right now. In fact, at the moment it is the front runner.

speedsix

Enlightened

Just checked that one out. Looks good. Didn't know about that one so it is on my very short list right now. In fact, at the moment it is the front runner.

speedsix

Enlightened
Found out that Eagletac is Chinese. Not a deal breaker but I was so pleased with my Streamlight that I would just buy another before taking a chance on a Chinese light. I need this light for work so it has to be reliable. I rely on it and can't have reliability issues. This is not a toy for me, it is a work EDC and more of a tool. Price is not a factor but reliability and quality is.

kreisler

Banned
Found out that Eagletac is Chinese.
Yes, EagleTac torches and 4Sevens torches are manufactured in Ch*na. Even the Zebralight torches. All three are American companies though (ownership and headquarters). All three are very young companies, a few years young. Zebralight issues 1 year warranty, 4Sevens issues 10 years warranty, and EagleTac issues lifetime warranty, i.e. as long as the life/existence of the company until it runs out of business or is acquired by some other larger company which would void the warranty, of course.

Maybe Streamlight is more reliable (e.g. in a life-critical situation) .. but EagleTac has longer warranty. If the torch fails (in your life-critical situation), you can always get a FREE replacement product from them.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight website says the Stylus Pro is made in China also...I wouldn't worry about it. I'm ordering up a $75 Eagletac tomorrow and will be carrying it when I'm back into protection work. Think the Eagletacs are last assembled and inspected here, but either way.

Very few USA made tools/gadgets are really 100% USA made - materials/QC are really only thing that matters for serious use politics aside.

speedsix

Enlightened
Streamlight website says the Stylus Pro is made in China also...I wouldn't worry about it. I'm ordering up a $75 Eagletac tomorrow and will be carrying it when I'm back into protection work. Think the Eagletacs are last assembled and inspected here, but either way.

Very few USA made tools/gadgets are really 100% USA made - materials/QC are really only thing that matters for serious use politics aside.

Dang, I didnt know that about the Stylus. Starting to wonder what the point of supporting a US company is really. The first chance they get, they run to the Chinese and have them build their products to save a few cents. They have no loyalty to the US or the customers yet we try to do the right thing. Don't know why I bother. Nobody else seems to care and I have had Chinese products that were quality. As long as there is strict QC control by an American company who cares about their rep, they can make good stuff in China.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Dang, I didnt know that about the Stylus. Starting to wonder what the point of supporting a US company is really. The first chance they get, they run to the Chinese and have them build their products to save a few cents. They have no loyalty to the US or the customers yet we try to do the right thing. Don't know why I bother. Nobody else seems to care and I have had Chinese products that were quality. As long as there is strict QC control by an American company who cares about their rep, they can make good stuff in China.
Thread hijack - of your own thread ?? :confused:

speedsix, you were warned just this morning to take it down a notch, as a number of your recent posts were borderline trolling. Please take a few days off.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.