new microstream = fail

blue dog

Newly Enlightened
*Got my new c4 microstream recently, and i have to say that the new design of the tail clicky section is a complete fail for me. It is hard to depress and activate. It seems that the switch inside is a bit to far from the rubber cap, i tried putting something between to take up the slack, it helped, but it still takes far more pressure to activate compared to the old microstream.
*I compared this new light to the preon 1 with clicky tail cap and pelican 1910 with clicky, the pelican wins hands down. The preon clicky cap has slop in it when not activated.
*I'm just saying i am not satisfied with the new design.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The microstream is a good light, but yes, the clicky is hard to press. I've been more than satisfied with my Preon 2.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch on the first Microstream is not really any better,out of all my lights(approx 40) that has the hardest to activate switch but on the + side it has and still is a very good light.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
Worse I've used is a Coleman Max - I just use my index finger or off-hand thumb if I want constant on. I don't think a crappy clicky makes a light useless but it's definitely a big annoyance. :thumbsdow For the price point, kept as a back-up, they work.

varmint

Enlightened
Well my favorite edc is the Microstream, I have it on me now, I really like mine and have used it alot, it has worked very well for me. Yes the switch is some harder than others but it has never failed me or got turned on by accident. I do like the firm switch.

Last edited:

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
Although I don't have a Microstream, I use a Stylus Pro daily. I just had the switch replaced under warranty and the new one is very firm/hard to depress. The new tail cap is nice in that you can now replace the rubber switch cover by removing a knurled cap. The rubber cap itself seems to be too hard/firm.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I agree with you that the Microstream probably has the stiffest clicky of any AAA light but actually, I really like that it does. I'm running both the MS and Preon1 with 10440 batteries and both are EDC'd diligently. At times the Preon1 is accidentally activated while in my pocket and I don't like that it turns on so easily. The MS never comes on accidentally and is useable as a small "tactical" light due to it's single mode and intensity with 10440. It also produces the highest lux number of any AAA I've ever tested. In any case, I probably wouldn't enjoy the light as much as I do if it had a switch like the Preon1. Unlike twist head lights, which I also enjoy, the momentary operation is perfect.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I'm running both the MS and Preon1 with 10440 batteries and both are EDC'd diligently. At times the Preon1 is accidentally activated while in my pocket and I don't like that it turns on so easily. The MS never comes on accidentally and is useable as a small "tactical" light due to it's single mode and intensity with 10440.

Patriot, are you running a 10440 in a stock Microstream or with the LD01 mod?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've talked to Streamlight about this, and the change was due to customer issues with the switch cover wearing out. That's why the switch cover is both thicker, and user-replaceable (spare included). It's not impossible to press, but definately takes a bit of force compared to the Pelican 1910. Like Patriot said, the benefit is no accidental activation, so if it's going to be an EDC light, that should be a plus.

blue dog

Newly Enlightened
*I never had my first generation microstream turn on by accident, and the rubber clicky on that one is fine for a 3 year old light. I have been edcing the pelican 1910 and my new preon 1 with clicky. Put the microstream in the center console of the truck as a backup.
*Side note here. The only thing that bothers me on the preon is that the pocket clip spins around on the light its self, not really a problem, just bothers me.
*So what AAA should be my next purchase ? just needs to be a clicky is my only criteria, and single mode with momentary is all i really care about. Help me out flashaholics.

speedsix

Enlightened
I have the MS and the Stylus pro. No issues with clicky. It is a little hard to press but doesnt get turned on when I dont want it to. The Stylus Pro is now 48 lumins and seems warmer than the MS to me. If you can handle a slightly longer light the Stylus gives you twice the power and twice the battery life. I find it disappears in the pocket just as easy as the 1 AAA light.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
I've hear of people swapping out heads of the older MS with a fenix LD01 but I love the way my MS looks and it's forward clicky (I have a newer one that appears to have one large headpiece and a tailcap so a head swap is out of the question) so would it be possible to take the LED off of something like an ITP A3 EOS and putting it into the MS? Its sounds like a lot of work, but I don't mind a time consuming project. I would like to know if it is possible.

Dmi518

Newly Enlightened
i have the ms and sp in c4 and dont mind the switch, like others said no accidental turn on. the ms is my edc light i always have it on me. the 10440 sounds like a great option. i also picked up the brite strike epli and love it , but the size of the ms is just perfect for my pocket. the newer clip design is great, i didnt realize how handy it would be.

varmint

Enlightened
Its my #1 EDC here, for the hard switch I like it, I used it last nite with gloves and espected to have a problem but it turned on easily, I tried it several times with gloves and had no problems. A+ for me on it. 6 months of daily use and its still a keeper, I would replace it if lost.

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened
I like mine just the way it is. This is a great little light and I wouldn't change a thing.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I read on this forum that someone had taken some of the plastic from the package that the ms came in and placed it under the rubber cap. I did this myself using two layers of plastic and it works great! It is now more sensitive and clicks on much easier.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot, are you running a 10440 in a stock Microstream or with the LD01 mod?

I apparently never subbed to this thread and missed your question altogether. I was doing some Microstream research and happened back there accidentally. Sorry for the delay HIDblue.

Yes, I'm running the 10440 in the Microstream. Have been for about 6-8 months and have two other friends doing some reliability testing for me, each with there own Microstreams and 10440's. Not a single issue with this formula....other than mind blowing AAA throw!

I'll be posting a short youtube video of my thoughts, with beamshots, in a couple of days under "Patriot36"

HIDblue

Enlightened
I apparently never subbed to this thread and missed your question altogether. I was doing some Microstream research and happened back there accidentally. Sorry for the delay HIDblue.

Yes, I'm running the 10440 in the Microstream. Have been for about 6-8 months and have two other friends doing some reliability testing for me, each with there own Microstreams and 10440's. Not a single issue with this formula....other than mind blowing AAA throw!

I'll be posting a short youtube video of my thoughts, with beamshots, in a couple of days under "Patriot36"

I've been running a 10440 in my stock Microstream since the date I posed that question without any problems, thus far...