Single AAA vs single AA light for EDC?

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys prefer for EDC? A single AA or single AAA light?

I'm currently looking for something that can clip to the inside of my jean pocket, and so I've ruled out CR123-based lights due to the fact that all of the lights available right now are too large in diameter (ranging from .7" - 1").

As for AAA lights, I've held a Maratac AAA in person, and it seemd like it was plenty small to EDC. It also has enough runtime and modes to not make me feel like I don't have enough power on me (50 hours @ 1.5 lumens, 48 minutes @ 60 lumens). But I was wondering if I could get by with an AA light, without it feeling too bulky.

I also plan on using this light as an improvised headlamp (clipped to the bill of my cap). So I'm afraid a AA might be too heavy for that too.

Help appreciated!

Hi Juanderful,

The Quark MiNi AA, R5 from 4Sevens would be a great choice. All things considered: reliability, price, size, seven modes, and a ten year warranty.

From 4Sevens website:
Low: 2.7 OTF lumens, 60 hours
Medium: 25 OTF lumens, 8 hours
High: 90 OTF lumens, 1.3 hours
Special (hidden) modes:
Strobe 4 hours
SOS 12 hours
Beacon (Hi) 20 hours
Beacon (Lo) 100 hours

~ Chance :thumbsup:

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened
Hey Chauncey,

Thanks for the suggestion, and yeah, I've actually taken a look at the 4Sevens lights before. The size on the Quark MiNi AA seems to be perfect, but it doesn't seem to have a clip of any kind, which is one of the few requirements I have.

Going up a tier, we end up with the regular/tactical Quark AA. But considering its thickness is 0.86", I'm thinking that would be a bit too large for EDC?

I'm not really sure, so I'm looking for some more input from people who've EDC'd both AA and AAA lights.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Single AA, definitely. More power, more brightness, longer runtime. Single AAA is good for a backup light or a low-power light for close-up work, but that's about it.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have one of each. Use the AA light as your workhorse and the AAA light as your backup/loaner light that's small enough to comfortably hold in your mouth while you use both hands for something.

--flatline

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

As for AAA lights, I've held a Maratac AAA in person, and it seemd like it was plenty small to EDC. It also has enough runtime and modes to not make me feel like I don't have enough power on me (50 hours @ 1.5 lumens, 48 minutes @ 60 lumens). But I was wondering if I could get by with an AA light, without it feeling too bulky.

I also plan on using this light as an improvised headlamp (clipped to the bill of my cap). So I'm afraid a AA might be too heavy for that too.

Help appreciated!

There are quite a number of compact AAs to choose from these days, which is my preferred choice and daily edc. It's not too heavy at all.
Some are:
Jetbeam BK135A
Jetbeam PA01
Quark MiNi AA
Fenix LD15
Nitecore EZ AA (older versions)
EagleTac D25A Mini
Maratac AA
iTP A2
Olight i2

However, you might need to source for a third-party clip (except iTP A2?) to use it as an improvised "cap-lamp".

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
Lumintop L1A would be good for doing the cap thing - my daily pocket light is about the same dimensions (1" head and .75" body) but an inch longer and not a problem for me in jeans/slacks pockets.

I think the ZebraLight H51 is probably the best choice though. Can keep it in a pocket, use the supplied headband, clip it to a shirt pocket or collar, backpack strap, etc. Actual OTF lumens from a rechargeable battery - 200 lumens for 0.9 hrs, 100 lumens for 2.4 hrs, 140 lumens 1.7 hrs / 30 lumens 12 hrs, 8 lumens for 39 hrs, and lower for 3 days and 16 days. It's probably the most efficient and most versatile for carry/use - where most the other AA lights are getting 85-120 lumens max for about an hour, the ZebraLight can do roughly the same output for about two and a half hours.

Clipped to a cap a light will hang off the end and never really point where your eyes want it, personally I'd rather just hold a light in my mouth like flatline mentioned, but the H51 set up or similar would be best.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
The the Klarus AAA series of lights, probably the most powerful you can find. This is the brightest you can find using regular AAA batteries.

Also the Olight i3 which can take a 10440 cell making it probably the brightest little light you can ever find/use.

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened
The the Klarus AAA series of lights, probably the most powerful you can find. This is the brightest you can find using regular AAA batteries.

Also the Olight i3 which can take a 10440 cell making it probably the brightest little light you can ever find/use.

Yeah, I was looking at the Klarus AAA awhile ago, and I was surprised at the amount of light it can squeeze from a AAA. It even beats some of the AA lights out there. Shame it doesn't have a clip though. :(

Lumintop L1A would be good for doing the cap thing - my daily pocket light is about the same dimensions (1" head and .75" body) but an inch longer and not a problem for me in jeans/slacks pockets.

I think the ZebraLight H51 is probably the best choice though. Can keep it in a pocket, use the supplied headband, clip it to a shirt pocket or collar, backpack strap, etc. Actual OTF lumens from a rechargeable battery - 200 lumens for 0.9 hrs, 100 lumens for 2.4 hrs, 140 lumens 1.7 hrs / 30 lumens 12 hrs, 8 lumens for 39 hrs, and lower for 3 days and 16 days. It's probably the most efficient and most versatile for carry/use - where most the other AA lights are getting 85-120 lumens max for about an hour, the ZebraLight can do roughly the same output for about two and a half hours.

Clipped to a cap a light will hang off the end and never really point where your eyes want it, personally I'd rather just hold a light in my mouth like flatline mentioned, but the H51 set up or similar would be best.

There are quite a number of compact AAs to choose from these days, which is my preferred choice and daily edc. It's not too heavy at all.
Some are:
Jetbeam BK135A
Jetbeam PA01
Quark MiNi AA
Fenix LD15
Nitecore EZ AA (older versions)
EagleTac D25A Mini
Maratac AA
iTP A2
Olight i2

However, you might need to source for a third-party clip (except iTP A2?) to use it as an improvised "cap-lamp".

Jetbeam BA10

Great suggestions guys. I'll do some research on those lights. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Zebra H51 or the Eagletac D25A. They seem to fit the bill pretty well. Thanks!

You should have one of each. Use the AA light as your workhorse and the AAA light as your backup/loaner light that's small enough to comfortably hold in your mouth while you use both hands for something.

--flatline

Single AA, definitely. More power, more brightness, longer runtime. Single AAA is good for a backup light or a low-power light for close-up work, but that's about it.

Yeah no doubt. I've been leaning towards AA for the same reasons. AAA still seems a bit too weak to be a main EDC light.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not using a aaa in most of my aaa lights:devil: The preon1 can do 300 fingerburning otf lumens at startup if you feed it the right stuff.
Runtime is never a issue for my pocket edc's, size is. If they are to big, i dont keep them in my pocket for long, and they end up being at home when i need it.
I use the clip from a itp h01 on my quark mini aa, but its not as small or floddy as the preon1.
The last fishingtrip before winter this year, I only used my preon1 on alkalines. Wading hip deep, fishing for hours up in the dark mountians with the preon clipped to my shoulder. Lol i forgot to put my "chosen" lights in my backpack in the hurry. My friends had spare cells for their cheap headlamps (uses aaa's like most non flashoholic cheap lights) so I used a alkaline and had my 10440 as a spare, or if i needed lots of light (i diden't need more light than lo/medium mode on alkaline provided).

purelite

Enlightened
You wont notice a AA light like the Fenix LD15 in your pocket. The better runtime and higher output of the AA far outwghs the slightly larger diameter and/or wght (in grams) .
I do also keep a AAA on my keychain as backup though. The P7 pocket clip allows the light to sit in the pocket below the edge and also allows easy retrieval . expensive but worth it.

davecroft

Enlightened
Hey Chauncey,

Thanks for the suggestion, and yeah, I've actually taken a look at the 4Sevens lights before. The size on the Quark MiNi AA seems to be perfect, but it doesn't seem to have a clip of any kind, which is one of the few requirements I have.

Going up a tier, we end up with the regular/tactical Quark AA. But considering its thickness is 0.86", I'm thinking that would be a bit too large for EDC?

I'm not really sure, so I'm looking for some more input from people who've EDC'd both AA and AAA lights.

Olight i2 is basically a Mini AA with nice clip and no flashy modes. A lot cheaper than the Mini as well (at least in UK).

I often EDC a Fenix LD01 - really small, decent clip, well made. But runtimes for AAA lights tend to be a drawback so I usually end up taking an AA light - and an AAA for backup.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

ha. i've dumped all my lights running on AA, 123, CR2, et al.

all i use now are 1xAAA. they do everything i could ask for, except melting ice at long distances, and at 130 lumens my millermods comes close.

and when the MBI Torpedo gets off the ground, we may be looking at as much as 500 lumens on a single AAA Li-Ion or 200-300 lumens on a standard NiMH AAA rechargeable.

runtime hasn't been a problem either: the mako does 80 hours and the thrunite ti does 125 hours on low.

TEHO (to each his own).

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm currently looking for something that can clip to the inside of my jean pocket, and so I've ruled out CR123-based lights due to the fact that all of the lights available right now are too large in diameter (ranging from .7" - 1").

Help appreciated!

I EDC the Maratac AAA and some of the lights mentioned here.
IMG_8873.jpg

These lights are among the smallest in their class. For the discreet ways I carry and use them, they have to be. I normally carry one AA and one AAA light with me.

+1 on the Maratac AAA: This was the light that started the high-quality, low-cost AAA light trend, and still holds its own today.

+1 on the Zebralight H51: One light and a thousand uses.

+1 on the Mini AA: A good light for the price.

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a Quark AA regular in cargo pants (leg pocket), and it's the perfect size for that 3 3/4"L x 3/4"W. If I have to wear jeans, I carry my Quark Mini CR2 twisty, but it sometimes turns on, or comes apart and leaves the head and battery in my pocket.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
I find AAA perfect for EDC. AA is too big to comfortably hold in my mouth when I need to use both hands. Also I can barely feel them in my pocket but it's there when I need it.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only light I EDC is a 4Sevens Revo. The circuit is very efficient, on Med and low it offers the same runtime as many of the PWM bases AA lights at similar output levels. A few years ago 60lm was considered tactical level brightness, its about twice the lumens of a incandescent 3D maglight.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix EO5 (XP-G) with clip in my left pocket. It's replaced my long loved EX10 SP. I never use low or high and find the 30 lumens of flood from the EO5 just about perfect for most day to day tasks.

I do keep a Quark AA2 Tactical in my EDC bag along with an EO1, and another EO5 (XP-E) on my keys, so there's always plenty of light. However, if I'm just out and about without my keys or EDC bag it's the EO5 that's always with me now.