HDS Tactical Setting Question

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I recently got my HDS Clicky Tactical (170 lumen) and LOVE it!

One thing I would like to change, if possible, is the brightness level of the Momentary On function. I've read through their basic literature and can't figure out if this is even possible. Ideally I'd like Momentary On to be the Medium brightness rather than High.

Any advice?

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I assume your talking about the level (or preset) when the light is on and you press and hold the button in. Make sure customization is enabled. While the light is on, click and then press-hold to lock the light into that preset (A). After a second of press-hold, let the button go. You are now locked into that preset level (A). Now you can double click and then press-hold to adjust the light level for that preset. If you are talking about having momentary only enabled from the customization menu, then it should be preset B, the level when you first click on the light.

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
How do I change the Momentary On level when you press+hold from off? Or is that tied to the primary brightness?

flashlight nut

Enlightened
That is preset B, the level when you click the light once to turn it on. If you adjust that level (preset B) to the brightness you desire, that will be the brightness level when you press and hold from off. Just remember, if you enabled "momentary only" from the customization menu so that your light can only stay on when you have the button held in, you have to disable that feature in order to adjust the light levels for each preset.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'm not fully familiar with the pre-programmed steps of the tactical model, but I'll take a swing at the issue.

There are 4 settings [we'll assume the light is on] A (triple click) B and C (double clicks each, respectively) and D (click Press-Hold-Release, henceforth just PHR).

It turn on to level C, correct, which is burst setting I believe, and you want to either I) change this level of output, or II) remove the "hold" feature, which makes it always turn on at this level, instead of the previously used level.

For either option, you need to first enable the programming.
Turn the light on, and then quickly unscrew and completely remove the battery compartment. Once removed, quickly screw the battery compartment back onto the light head. It should be on at this point. Once done (quickly) screwing the two halves together, and while the light is still on, start clicking the light on and off. Do this until the light stops turning on or off with each click (after about 20 clicks). The light is now int he programming menu.

--Now, for Roman numeral I, turn the light on [should come on at pre-set C, which is burst]. To enter the output menu, to change just this levels output, quickly "double click PHR." You can now click once to advance through the output menu. Being as the light is already at maximum, it will first cycle through the three strobe modes, then start over at the minimum output. Once on an output you wish, press and hold the switch until the light turns off. You may now turn it back on, and it will always come on at this (new) output. Repeat with other Modes as you wish.

--Now, for Roman Numeral II, in order to have the light come on at the last used mode, and thus output, you need to enter the Options Menu [which also lets you exit programming mode entirely]. In order to do so, [while in programming mode as described above] you need to "Triple Click PHR." The light will then proceed to flash slowly on and off. This is to let you know you have entered the Options Menu, on its default, which is Force setting. To deprogram Force Setting, merely press and hold. The long flash will be replaced by a gradual bright-to-dim sequence, eventually turning off entirely. With another click, the light should turn back on, but still be on a certain output. To test whether you've successfully deactivated Force Setting, change to another output and shut the light off. When turned back on, it should still be on that mode [ie: ultralow, strobe, what-have-you].

Once all modifications to the UI are complete, you need [don't have to if you don't want too] to exit programming mode. Turn the light on [output doesn't matter, just on] and "Triple Click PHR." The light is now int eh options menu, and again is flashing slowly off and on to signify it is on the force setting. Merely "Double Click" rapidly to move backwards through the (circular) Options Menu (you can also cycle forward to the next option by merely clicking once) and immediately to the Customization option, which will be signified by a dime to bright sequence. As before, merely press and hold the switch and wait for the Bright-to-dim sequence to finish [and the light to turn off] and you are done.

Turning the light back on should turn it on at the previously used output. And, voila, you are done.