best tactical brand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
I should not have written the word "tactical" in the post - I'm sorry. All I wanted was a overall answer, so let me put this in another way:

Let's say I had a big gun shop and I wanted to expand it with offering flashlights from a particular brand. And at the same time I have a friend who works in a security company and I want to offer his company (and may be some other security companies) some flashlights that will be helpful for them.

In this situation which of those brands (please stick to those 4 only) are you going to recommend me - Klarus, ElagelTac, JetBeam or 4Sevens

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the four brands you chose? Eagletac.

Best tactical brands IMO , id have to agree that, Malkoff, Elzetta, Surefire, HDS. Not necessarily as bright but sturdier a mor reliable

shane45_1911

Enlightened
What is "tactical"? That term is so "90's". Anything black used to be considered "tactical".

Why don't you tell us what "tactical" means to you and we can better recommend something. Tactical has about as much meaning today as "mil-spec" and "spec-ops".

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to consider Armytek. Their Predator is an excellent tactical light.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
What I meant by tactical was something that could be used on a weapon and/or used by police officers.

Again, ANY flashlight can be used by police officers. And any flashlight (typically) can be mounted on a weapon with the right mount.

Now, whether or not you WANT to use ANY flashlight as a weaponlight is up to you.

Are you really asking what is a RELIABLE flashlight for hard use? Is that what "tactical" means to you?

EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP SAYING "TACTICAL". Seriously. Or I will just recommend ANY black flashlight that has a crenelated bezel.
:)

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The electronics should be potted for lights installed on firearms. Manufacturers might not do that on all there lights, those that can be bought with pressure switches are probably weapon safe IMO(in my opinion)

Eagletac P20c2 XML has what I consider a tactical UI, as it always comes on on Hi, all other modes are hidden (twist head to get them)

Quark Maelstorm series could also do the job very well, but I've never owned one so I can't vouch for it.
There regular and tactical aa and cr123 models are great but no don't believe there weapon mountable, I own three.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What I meant by tactical was something that could be used on a weapon and/or used by police officers.

That's not always the same thing.

For example, a lot of LEO that expect return fire situations demand that the on/off switch not be ABLE to work other than as momentary, IE: They HAVE TO HOLD it on...if they let go, it goes off...so that if they need to dive for cover, the light will go out, etc.

That also means they HAVE TO HOLD the button in to look around with the light...unless they use a SECOND switch, or twist of the cap, etc, to lock it in the on position...which is VERY inconvenient for patrol, etc....AND makes it even SLOWER to turn it off quickly if need be.

Other LEO prefer a switch that is momentary when partly depressed, but that will click on if pushed further, and off if pushed again. This allows patrolling with it on, and a quick click to extinguish it if things go south, etc.

Almost all LEO prefer a light that goes ON in HIGH, no one wants to have to cycle through brightness levels to get to high...and they want it to not have a memory, IE: If it goes off in low, med, etc, it still comes on in high the next time.

Most patrolling is best served by a floody beam...its hard to sweep an area a few square feet at a time, its safer to see the entire room/warehouse/yard all at once/not give a perp time to dive for cover when he sees the hot spot of your beam sweeping towards him...

Long run times and high lumens covering a wide area mean a larger light to hold batteries that can power that sort of beast. A large one might be club/baton-like to allow DNA sampling of perps in close quarter combat, etc. It mght be heavy and built to shrug off damage.

A weapon light is typically smaller than a patrolling light, as its on a shorter duration/doesn't need the battery life, needs to use common rail mounts, etc (1" diameter range, etc), will tend to be a tight throwing light with little spill (A circle of light on the target, but not a pool of light around that).

If too heavy, it weights the weapon down, and slows response time to bear, increases fatigue/reduces accuracy, etc. So, it tends to be a small, light tight beamed light which is terrible for patrol, but good for aim point illumination.

So, the question is still vague...there are many lights that fill the above requirements for SOME of the scenarios. Other scenarios are mutually exclusive...and you need more than one light to fulfill their needs well.

What scenario, in particular, are you trying to adapt to?

If you are really just fishing for a brand deemed more reliable/tougher, you can just ask that instead.

:D

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire has long been considered the leader in "Tactical" lights.
As a police officer I find for my use the Klarus XT aeries to almoat perfect for my needs. That being said I also carry a Quark since I primarily work plain clothes, much easier to carry concealed. I also like the Thrunite Scorpion. I own an Eagletac and while I do like the light I find twisty heads to be less yhan ideal for duty uniform use but not a big issue in plain clothes. Each situation can and dictate what is needed. I am going to try out a Klarus XT-2C on a shotgun with pressure switch and see how it actually works out. I'm running the XT-10 on a carbine with no issues.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP SAYING "TACTICAL". Seriously. Or I will just recommend ANY black flashlight that has a crenelated bezel.
:)
Agree :)
Any light that has forward clicky, and 100+ lumen is "tactical" in my book . Even pink ones signed by Paris hilton.

Malkoff is great, no pointy besel or sharp edged alu grip rings. This one wont get stuck in your holster/pocket if you need it in a hurry. Try to get a sharp edged "tactical" light with pointy stuff sticking out everywhere out of a wet pocket/holster... with cold fingers.... I dont see any point in a sharp edges at all on a tactical light, it will just make it come out of the pocket slower. Real tactical pepole carry guns, they dont need their light to be sharp :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Agree :)
Any light that has forward clicky, and 100+ lumen is "tactical" in my book . Even pink ones signed by Paris hilton.

Malkoff is great, no pointy besel or sharp edged alu grip rings. This one wont get stuck in your holster/pocket if you need it in a hurry. Try to get a sharp edged "tactical" light with pointy stuff sticking out everywhere out of a wet pocket/holster... with cold fingers.... I dont see any point in a sharp edges at all on a tactical light, it will just make it come out of the pocket slower. Real tactical pepole carry guns, they dont need their light to be sharp :)

LOL - GReat!

:D

And Paris Hilton's line of tactical lights DOES really impress the people you are shooting.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
I should not have written the word "tactical" in the post - I'm sorry. All I wanted was a overall answer, so let me put this in another way:

Let's say I had a big gun shop and I wanted to expand it with offering flashlights from a particular brand. And at the same time I have a friend who works in a security company and I want to offer his company (and may be some other security companies) some flashlights that will be helpful for them.

In this situation which of those brands (please stick to those 4 only) are you going to recommend me - Klarus, ElagelTac, JetBeam or 4Sevens

P.S. Thanks for the several suggestions above, I will look closely into those lights.

shane45_1911

Enlightened

Quite frankly, none of the above. They do not fit my criteria for a hard-use light or possible weapon mount applications.

Last edited:

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
When it comes to on duty needs for Law enforcement everything Teej wrote in his post above is spot on. All four of the companies you mention have a solid reputation and I am sure it is for a good reason. Just curious why you limited it to those four though? I am a LEO and just ordered my first Klarus lights. The UI on the XT series looks awesome. I also ordered a P2A at the same time. What I look for is simple to operate. If it requires two hands and several twists of the head just to change modes it is of no use to me at work. Take a look at Fenix as well. I have the LD20 and the E21 from them, both have proven reliable and useful to me. Every person has limitations, needs, and preferences. If you are searching for a specific brand, it needs to offer a wide product and price line so as to appeal to as many people as possible. You can get an idea about that from looking at any company's web site.

Viper715

Enlightened
I've had lights from all the companies that you listed an they are ok/good lights and many are geared towards "tactical" use. But I think all of the brands that you listed fall short of the intended use that you listed.

I've had more than one failure in the electronics or switching of the lights listed multiple times. For that reason I don not carry any of the brands listed on duty! I still own them, there in my bag for me to play with from time to time or carry when I'm off as backups. I only carry lights that have very low failure rates and that have dead simple UIs while on duty. Today I am carrying a Surefire C2 with a malkoff and as a backup I am carrying a Surefire L1. There's not too much that can go ring with these lights.

So to answer your question as it was asked what lights out of the four you listed to carry in a store that can be used for LE security use, I'd say none if the above. Now there still ok lights but I wouldn't trust them with my life in the dark. If they fail there companies will backup, fix or replace the light. I just don't trust that they can fix or replace me when I'm injured or killed from not having the right tool for the right job. That being said even all of the other listed lights can fail just at lower rates that's why I always carry extra batteries and more than 2 lights at all times.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

P.S. Thanks for the several suggestions above, I will look closely into those lights.

There's no mention of police or war in this post peeps, gunshops do sell to civilians and depending on the area Security guards can't or wont buy Surefire due to budget. Fenix is what the local security guards use here, those that have moved up from Pelican and maglite use (or Streamlight)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard life/death duty use lights. Surefire and Malkoff. That's it.

Now there are plenty of good, solid, reliable lights out there, but it's not riding primary on my belt if it's not a Surefire or Malkoff. For just a backup or off duty light I actually like Zebralights and Quarks. Nothing wrong with them at all, but duty lights they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.