My first disappointment....sort of.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
I have recently picked up a bunch of smaller/mid priced lights most of similar design. The only one that disappoints me a little is the ITP SA2. Now don't get me wrong, at it's price point it's not a bad light but, it is the lowest performer I own. I have a Terralux lightstar 300 which uses the same battery type (2xAA), was cheaper to buy, and shames the SA2's performance. The Terralux has a more floody beam but still has a brighter hot spot. I do like the ITP's UI so maybe it's time to start modding? I am not looking to start a slam fest here but what lights have you guys bought that made you say, "not a bad light" and then throw it in a drawer rarely to be seen again? Are those the lights that started the "modding bug" for you?

So you have an idea, these were my recent purchases I consider a similar style:

Fenix LD20
Fenis E21
Terralux lightstar 300
Klarus P2A
Ultrafire C3 (single mode)

Racer

Enlightened
I have an iTP SC1 and I love it. It has great output with a 16340. Different form factor and battery chemistry but same circuitry (?) Either way, I like the UI too, and the forward switch, so it's been my EDC for a while now. I'm not familiar with their 2XAA version but I thought the SA1 could take a 14500 and assuming it takes it then there's the performance you're looking for I think.

budynabuick

Enlightened
I have recently picked up a bunch of smaller/mid priced lights most of similar design. The only one that disappoints me a little is the ITP SA2.

That is to funny! I was just now using my sa2 and I love it. I have a couple near dead AA alky and put them in the light to see how long they would run and its been over 3 hrs. Right now it is still putting out about 4 lms. Nice flood to throw, nice spacing, and I love the ramping feature. This thing will take every last bit of juice out of a primary as well. I can"t find any cons with this light. I guess we are all just different in our preferences. Also, I find it is well made. BTW, the light did take a little time to grow on me.

Keith

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 of the Ti clickies for my Preon1's & they both are disappointing to me. They are too finicky. I can't have the head tightened down and the switch all the way at the same time. I have to back of the rear switch quite a bit to get it to function properly. I truly thought I could just take off the stock Titanium rear cap and clip and put the new switch on and bam!!! Nope. Bummer

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... The only one that disappoints me a little is the ITP SA2. Now don't get me wrong, at it's price point it's not a bad light but, it is the lowest performer I own. I have a Terralux lightstar 300 which uses the same battery type (2xAA), was cheaper to buy, and shames the SA2's performance. .....

Not really sure what you mean by performance? For me #1 aspect of performance is output efficiency which is the area under the curve when graphing light output over time. The SA2 is a very efficient current regulated light. Efficiency also goes way up on medium mode. I agree the beam pattern isn't the greatest as I tend to like orange peel reflectors. So maybe when you say performance you are referring to beam pattern. Now I can agree with that, but I seriously doubt the Terralux has the SA2 beat in efficiency. By the way, my SA1 has a slight orange peel reflector and the SA2 is smooth. I like the SA1 over the SA2 but the SA2 is a pretty good thrower for an XP-G.

It really boils down to which LED is in the Lightstar300. I could not find which LED is in there. If it's an XP-G then its not more efficient than the SA2. That would be hard to beat. Only the XM-L would, but I don't think you would find one of those in the LS300............otherwise I might have to get an LS300. Also the LS300 claims to be 300 lumens on high and from my observation with lumen ratings out of Terralux lights, that is major suspicious. I have the LS80 which is rated at 80 lumens and it isn't close to the Stylus Pro rated at 48 lumens.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-2AA-(XM-L)-compared-against-some-XP-G-lights

Last edited: