3-Lumen ThruNite *Ti* (tiny) 2 level 'AAA' (aluminum)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
smile.gif
.. Any Moderator-please consider for submission in the Reviews forum

~ ThruNite *Ti*(tiny) 2 level 'AAA' (aluminum) light w/ 3lum. low

{ Note & Disclaimer : .. This is basically a copy of my review of the *FireFli* version, but pertinant wording has been edited to make it relevant to the *3 Lumen* Version.}

brows.gif

I'll give my "TooManyGizmos" summation first , (to get right to the point)

This is now a favorite Low Level , Round-thu-house nighttime NeckLight .

My overall impression of *both versions* of the "Ti" is very good. It was designed by ThruNite to be a ["Firefli" (.04lum) OR choice of 3lumen ] - low level key-chain light. It is also very useful as a lanyard neck light . It is very light weight. For those who said the "FireFli" 0.04 lumen level might be too low for their needs , ThruNite listened , and ALSO made this light available with a 3 lumen low level , so that everybody could have their choice of low level .

Now if you had trouble deciding which version would best suit your needs , you may have opted for *brighter is better* choice. If you got it , powered it up , and thought .. Dang, maybe that's too bright on low.. WELL , Don't despair.. I have a solution . I found that applying a couple layers (or more) of difusion material to the outside of the lens/window .. scatters the light , dims it a little, and blends the hot-spot into the spill area. To me ... it makes it better and provides an intermediate blend between .. too low *FireFli* and too bright *3 lumens* and makes it "Just right".
rclxm9.gif

Manufacturer and Retailer Specifications :

TI (Red,Gold,Green,Blue or Black)
$15.95
ThruNite Ti light are designed for your keychain!

Features:
• Uses Cree XP-E R4 LED with a lifespan of 50000 hours
• Uses one 0.9-1.5V AAA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) battery
• 7.2cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter)
• 20-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• OP reflector
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Reliable twist switch. Tighten for Low(3 lumens) tighten further for max Output(60 lumens)

* Manufactured by ThruNite

Construction & Feel

It is a little larger than most other 'AAA' twisties , but that makes it easier to hold and operate with one hand if you have arthritis in your joints and swollen/knotty knuckles . The knurling provides just the right amount of grip and the brass threads contribute to the buttery smooth turning of the head . I also found out it can be used as 'Momentary' if you set it close to the turn-on point and then press laterally on the head with your thumb or finger . The internal mode switching 'Tab' may have to be carefully adjusted at times by the user as it gets compressed with use . The anodized finish seems to be done well and I like the attachment lug being centered so the light hangs straight. It won't tail-stand easily, but it was intended as a hanging light , on a keychain. And don't be confused by the "Ti" name they gave it ... it is actually an aluminum body light . Maybe they intend a titanium version later ?

Beam , Brightness & Tint

The XP-G R4 LED produces a smooth beam and what I call a "Creamy" white tint . I would have preffered a whiter R-2 .... but that's just my preference. 3 lumens will allow you to clearly see things at 1 foot out to 5 feet once your eyes are fully adapted to darkness. It's a very usable level that won't hinder your adapted night vission to any excess. Recovery to full adapted night vission won't take very long. The Hi level is bright enough to be a good secondary EDC . ThruNite says it has a Max lumens of "60" ... but to me it seems somewhere around 40 to 50 lumens .. just my guess. ( I have no way of actually testing the output )

U.I. & Battery

The continual one-direction twist is much easier to use (especially one handed) as a key-chain light . Much easier than ... twist-untwist-twist-untwist ... and makes for a good inexpensive loaner light too. Tell em just twist - and twist more if they need more light. Run time on common batteries or NiMh should be very acceptable ... ( and since the use of 4.2v Li-Ions is NOT approved in the specs by ThruNite ... I would advise against it.)

Conclusion

I think this is a good value at $16.00 and is just what the Low-level crowd has been wanting. It IS very useful for maintaining "night adapted" vision and the Hi level is very adequate . Additional lights at 0.04 lumen low are also available. I would like to see a whiter R-2 version offered - but let's face it - at this size of light ... when you need light , any tint will do . I DO like this light and would recommend you add it to your collection . Craig had a good marketing strategy when he 'Torture Tested' a "Ti" light , and posted pic's & details of it . It makes me more confident that it will last as long as I expect it to .

Sorry for no pic's , but I don't do pic's well , and there are so many good ones already, it would be redundant .

More to be added later ...... as I use it and develop more comments .

~ TMG

EDIT ... side note ... EXPERIMENTATION ,

I thought I had a bright idea of placing a piece of QTC material under the "Tab" ,
to vary the Hi mode .... I tried it .... it did not work very well for me . YMMV
On mine, the Hi mode could not be varied by the QTC . (went straight to bright)

ThruNite "Ti"- *3 Lumen low* model purchased from Craig .. at illumination supply .

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I confirm that 3 lumens for me is just about perfect and I am now using this light to reach the fridge in the dead of the night. :)

Surely some years ago I would have liked better a firefly version but you can't turn the clock back and I am happy to see that the fellows at Thrunite know that the world is not populated only by youngsters. ;)

ragweed

Enlightened
3 lummens works for me. Sure it is on the bright side but, it is better to have a little too much light than not enough IMO.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Another helpful review, TMG. Thanks! Thrunite has done a great job with these new lights, and the value just can't be beat.

Racer

Enlightened
Thanks, TMG.

The 3 lumen model is still on my "must buy" list. I have to space out all my purchases or the wife nags ;)

My Ti Firefly is already like an old friend after a couple months of heavy use, so I know the 3 lumen one is going to be something I like. My truck keychain still sits empty even though I've bought 7 AAA lights for it. So I think this is the one I want for the keychain.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have four of these T1 lights. One, and the first one, is the firefly model. It is perfect for looking on the nightstand at night and does well for walking around the house without the light on. However, I wanted to try the 3lm model. I think I like it better, but am not sure. It is a little better for moving around in the house without any lights. I plan to give two of them away, but I am going to keep the firefly. If I had to choose I would choose the 3 lm model.
It is surprising how little light you need once you have your night vision.

Regards,
Jerry