Anybody else had problems with DealExtreme (DX)?

Grrash

Newly Enlightened
I've had problems with my last three orders from DealExtreme (DX), and wondered if this is a trend or just a lousy site.

I've bought from them in the past, knowing it would take a month or even two to get my order, but lately it's been really bad. First, I had a shipment arrive with damaged items, which customer service has said on three separate occasions would be credited to my account, but then never was. I later cancelled an order after it sat for two months without shipping, and receiving no notifications or updates from DX - I found out when I tried to track it down. The third order was placed and followed-up with a chat session to verify shipping dates. After talking to them I find out that only one of the 20 or so items were actually "in stock", and that it would take another month before they could even ship my order. Customer service wouldn't upgrade my shipping to compensate for this, and in the end I gave up and cancelled it all. That's about $300 of lost business for them, but they didn't seem concerned.

Incidentally, getting a CS rep on a chat session usually takes 20-30min, and that's if they're even in, and then a lot of the responses seem like cut-and-paste.

Anyone else have problems with them, or am I the most unlucky buyer ever?
icon9.gif

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, I had "problems"

out of my last 4 orders, several - if not all - products have been sent several times.
I had to inform them, as I do not want to get unpayed and unordered parts.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a few items and I'm still waiting for them 2 months later. Their customer service has not responded to any emails over the last few Weeks so I filed a Paypal claim. Still no response. And no items.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a few years since I ordeeed from them. My first order arrived within two weeks. My second order took 45 days. Some of the items were good,others were garbage. Overall if you can find an item you know is available in the USA and dont mind waiting you can save some money

JacobJones

Enlightened
Personally I've always found their customer service very helpful when things go wrong, but it is true that you take your chances when you order from deal extreme. The thing to remember is if you want cheap stuff don't expect too much or you will probably be let down.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago they used to be s l o w, but you got what you ordered. Recently I got the wrong merchandise (which was defective), and I'm out about 4 months on my order of other stuff. No more DX for me. I've learned my lesson. They must have new *management.*

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago they used to be s l o w, but you got what you ordered. Recently I got the wrong merchandise (which was defective), and I'm out about 4 months on my order of other stuff. No more DX for me. I've learned my lesson. They must have new *mis-management.*

I fixed it for you

bobjane

Enlightened
I've always had in stock items ship within 2 weeks. Usually within a few days. Backordered items can take a very long time but that's to be expected.

When something doesn't arrive (rare) they'll send another without fuss.

With an incorrect item they usually ask you to keep it and give you store credit for the value of the original. So you just reorder using the credit and keep the wrong one as a freebie. I find this far preferable to vendors that ask you to send it back where you're out time and often postage.

I've never tried emailing them. There's a web contact form for everything and this has always gotten me very helpful responses within a day and in surprisingly good English.

In short, no problems. I wish more vendors had such a convenient system.

Lord-Christensen

Newly Enlightened
When I normally order stuff from DX I have them within 3 weeks, but the 2 lates things i have ordered have taking over a month now:thinking:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used them for years with no problem; then last time they never shipped my order despite numerous claims that they would. Finally had to file a dispute with Paypal to get my money refunded. Never again.

h_nu

Enlightened
I had no problems for years except for the typical 3 week wait. Last year I received one item broken. With a picture and scan of the package they replied within a few days and asked me to try to find a way to recycle or repurpose the damaged goods while assuring me a replacement was on the way. A few days later I received the shipping confirmation. One item hadn't shipped after 6 months so I canceled it. They credited my account in about a week and apologized for the inconvenience.

Note that DX's terms of service now explain that they may not have all the products in stock and will wait until their suppliers provide the product. It can be a very long wait. They do seem to handle canceled and defective orders properly but they warn you that they are only an agent for delivery and your relationship is between you and one of their suppliers. I would not order anything I could find elsewhere at reasonable cost and I would not order anything expensive.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've placed around 10 orders with DX over the past few years and I've never had any trouble. The merchandise has always showed up intact and correct. However I noticed a difference in their correspondence with my most recent order. In the past I would get a fairly detailed order confirmation, but this time I simply received "your order has been created" and it took several days longer than usual before the goods were shipped. Apparently something has changed over there - I don't know if they're just swamped or if someone else is running the show. I have no real complaints though.

On the positive side, they sent a partial shipment on a recent order, then a few days later they sent the balance of the goods via air even though I didn't choose that option, so it looks like someone there has a good conscience.

Last edited:

j0sh

Newly Enlightened
Used to be good. Now the last few orders have either not been delivered or they only sent part of the order and even sending something that I did not order. Not really sure what has happened to them.

JudasD

Enlightened
i have ordered several times over the years from DX. There have been a few instances where i had to wait 2-3 months before getting my items but they did get here. Lately it has been a bit quicker. Of the few occasions where i did have a faulty, broken or incorrect part they were very quick to respond with a solution. I would not hesitate to order from them as long as you don't mind the potential for a long wait.

JD

aL01

Newly Enlightened
I placed an order with them a month ago, and got the order last week...I knew it took three weeks going into it, so it's no big deal-

pinetree89

Enlightened
I used to like DX a lot, however the problem is the quality is very hit and miss. Sometimes you get lucky and get a good working product. Most of the time you don't and get crap.

Also, don't put too much stock in their online reviews. I posted a good review of some Ultrafire RCR123 cells a year or so ago. They posted it up no problem. They were the proper length (not too long) and had good capacity. I recently reordered some of the same SKU and got total crap cells, too long, looked like they were assembled by a monkey. I then posted a negative review of these, but DX has somehow lost it or not posted it.

Like I say sometimes you get lucky....most of the time you just get crap.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you've got DX, you've got problems.

If you've got $50,000,000 in the bank, you've got financial security.

If you've got a pregnant wife, you've got soiled diapers to change in your future.

Some things just go hand in hand.

gunga

Flashaholic
Very much hit and miss at DX. I have had good success overall, but over the past 8 months or so, things have been quite poor. Still I get stuff from time to time, just don't expect timely delivery etc...