Drop in's for Wolf Eyes lights

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a Thrunite 460 lumen XML upgrade module from Batteryjunction for my Wolf Eyes Guider. I have had the Guider for several years and I have always loved it's interface, build quality, internal charging , etc. I just wanted to make it a little bit brighter. I put the Thrunite in the light when it arrived, and quickly learned that standard P60 sized modules do not fully fit in Wolf Eyes lights!! After I tightened the head and the light did not come on, I knew something was wrong. When I removed the drop in, the spring had bent over and part of the bottom edge was slightly damaged. I was able to bend the spring back, and the module is OK, but then I realized what the problem was. The head of the Guider had a ring that screws into it holding the glass in place. The Wolf Eyes drop-ins have a lip around the top of them that fits into this ring, and enables the front of the drop-in to be right up to the glass. The Thrunite drop-in does not have this, so its sticks out about 2mm more from the head. When I screwed the head back on the light with the Thrunite in it, it put too much pressure on the base of the drop-in. I was able to get the drop-in to work by unscrewing and removing this retaining ring. I only see a few problems with this, but I do not think they will be much of a concern. Now the front of the drop-in is putting a bit of pressure around the outer rim of the glass. I also have to be carefull when I remove the head to make sure I do not lose the glass lens or have it fall and break. I am not sure if there is a way to mod the light to get this to work another way. If there was a ring that could be screwed into the area where the head screws onto to keep it from tightening abother 2mm, that would work, but I have no clue where something like that would come from.

This issue with Wolf Eyes lights and drop-ins is probably known to some of you, but I do not hear too much talk about these lights on the forum. It is a shame also. I think these lights, quality wise, are just as good as anything else out there, and probably better than most! I would love to hear from anybody who has a Wolf Eyes light that has run into this problem, and how you solved it.