How much is too much?

firedudeemt45

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new falshlight. I want something bright and with good distance. I just what to know what everyone thinks about prices what is too much to pay for a flashlight?

CMAG

Enlightened
for EDC? for a shelf queen? for the night stand? for the kitchen draw? for the truck? for the BOB
For what is the light? then Ill name my price

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you can't afford it, then it's too much. If you like what you are buying I don't think you can say it's "too much".

I bought a Tri-V and to me it's worth every penny

firedudeemt45

Newly Enlightened
I work as a medic and I like to see at night I am sometime in very remote and rugged terrain. I want something that holds up well and i know that the more expensive they are the better quality! So I was just wondering what is too much to pay and what everyone thought!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Around here the sky's the limit. You would probably be shocked about some of the collections. Personally I've always found it difficult to spend more than $50, but it sometimes happens.

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread !

If you asked this question ANYplace other than here,
you'd probably get a general consensus of $ 25 to $ 50 U.S. Currency.

On CPF, it's a bit different. :rolleyes:

Might as well ask a buncha' Alcoholics:

" How much do you hafta' Drink, before you are Drunk ? "

:cool:

lovecpf

BTW -- I've never (yet) exceeded $ 100 on a Flashlight.
_

scout24

Flashaholic
Definitely a loaded question around here. Standard advice applies- Buy the best you can afford if it's an important item. Buy once, cry once. Your high quality well built light today will still be a high quality well built light 5 years from now. Welcome to CPF, by the way... :thumbsup:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too much would be a personal decision. I started with a single 6p. Even then I thought spending $40 on a flashlight was crazy. Then it was a $60 Malkoff M61. I decided I needed another indoor light. There goes for money with a C2 and a M61WLL. At that time, I thought I was done. I had already spent much more than my original budget. Looking at the receipts then, I thought I was insane for spending that much. Now I have an entire village of lights and I don't think I'm done.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I have yet to pay over $100 for a light. Too much is when I don't think the light is worth the price.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I expect a good flashlight to be 100-150 not counting the add ons... Batteries, chargers, spare parts, holster, etc I would probably have a hard time going over 150 for just a light. Now a host and a drop in may be another story as that's two things right? I mean come on it sounds logical in my head.

I think my most expensive light was my HDS U60 GT used it was $150.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Collecting aside I usually think in terms of how much I can stand to lose.If loss of the light would distract you from your purpose or keep you from using it entirely then it probably cost too much for you.Another factor is how much output and throw you want. Generally,quality lights cost more as they get brighter.You probably need to do some research to figure out your specific needs.If I were in your shoes I would probably opt for a Malkoff M60N in a SF 6P with SF G2/Malkoff M61NLL as a back-up since you operate in remote areas.Both are tough reliable lights and the cost would be $120-130 EACH at typical retail prices.I really don't know if they would meet your output/throw requirements they are just an example of what I might spend based on your limited description.Those lights are towards the top-end of what I have been willing to spend for a light,most of my lights are not that expensive.You can easily spend much more if you want some of the more powerful quality lights available.

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Being new it may be easy to over spend. It took me a lot of lost money before I found the lights that were ideal for me. You need to find a battery you are comfortable with, a beam type you like, possibly a manufacturer you like, switch layout, color temp, run-time, etc. I'd say watch the marketplace and play around a bit. You can buy and sell and stay relatively close to even. When you think you know what you're looking for (for real), take the plunge. All the flashlight reviews and beamshots here will help make informed final decisions. Just my .02. If I settled for the first $100 I spent, I'd be much less happy at work each night to this day.

Bakercountyboy

Newly Enlightened
I have yet to spend over $60 on a light. But that new Klarus RS11 (620 Lumens) has caught my eye. But its only $116 at going gear. It can be charged by the usb port on your laptop in your patrol car. I think it will be my next buy for sure.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the light.

Most of my lights have been in the 100-300 USD range.

My favorite is the Muyshondt Aeon - Neutral Tint Titanium. It's a pricey light, but I have forgotten what it cost me, from memory around 300 USD shipped to my door.
To be honest though, I don't care what it cost me, if I lost it I would be trying to find another straight away.
its a small, bright, stupidly simple, amazingly machined custom flashlight, and I have carried it every day since it arrived.

My Maxabeam is the most expensive I have bought - about $800 shipped to my door - for what the light is and does I feel it's well worth the money (so much so that there is a second one on its way to me along with a spare bulb, long power lead and hard case)

spending a good chunk of change on quality tools means you will look after them, and that they should be able to stand up to some abuse if and when you need it.
medics, firefighters, cops and security guards can be hard on their gear - cheap gear that won't hold up is a waste of money, and more expensive in the long run (because you buy it, then have to replace it with the item you should have bought in the first place)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
As most have said it's really what you can afford at the end of the day. Most of my lights are upwards of $200 but the ones that get more "abusive" use on a day to day basis (ie: thrown around, used to work on the car, scrape on the ground, etc) are all under $100. I use all my more expensive lights daily but not on tasks that could cause major damage.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
its subjective to cash available for the product and its use.

point A...you'll be in berlese for an indefinate 3 months, with rebal forces trying to find and kill you.. hmmm 20 quid is peanuts..

your in the garage and all you want to do is put a key in the car lock.. 200 dollers? stupidity.

you need to identify a vermin posativily...

end of the day 40 dollers is a lot of feild lit up.. just as 1000 dollers is even more feild lit up like day lol. but? for a 1000 dollers you'd be miffed at a brittle plasticy torch that sorta works most times, just the same as 40 dollers being ****y..or 5 bucks.

asking that question in a shop the guys eyes just went kuchingggg one born every day.

100 dollers is pushing it in my book. titanium with a bj girl attached? hmmm..maybe 120 lolol.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but can say this, lights in the $40 to $80 range make up the vast majority of my lights. At "reasonable" prices like this when I see something I want I don't hesitate, and order it without a lot of thought. You get above that ammount and I start to talk myself out of the purchase, and ask the question I can't answer yes to ( Do you really need another light?)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My upper-end comfort level is around $250 for higher build quality and exotic materials - I just can't justify a McGizmo. Unfortunately (fortunately?) for me, none of the higher end light manufacturers make something with my priorities - 1x14500/AA with a long runtime moonlight mode, so I haven't yet spent >$100.