MTE UV flashlight.

dash8

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for a light that uses a high power UV LED. At first I looked to see if I could buy the Nichia UV emitter and build a light, but they're not an easy thing to find for sale. Then I looked to see if anyone might be selling a complete light and it seems like the only ones out there were the Hoplite and the MTE. They want $559 for the Hoplite 365 on ebay, but that price seems a bit steep to me. That leaves the MTE. The MTE uses the Nichia NCSU033B LED while the Hoplite uses the A version of the same LED.

I may order one of the MTE's from Greg McGee Engineering. So anyone have one? if you do, how do you like it?

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 500, you could get a McGizmo Mule with a Nichia LED.

But maybe this is not the high power for which you are looking? I have a light running this LED from Don, and it an amazing LED which produces alot of light.

Check out his beam shots of the Haiku and Sundrop heads as well, as they might provide a beam more to your liking. I would guess the Haiku UV can throw quite alot of light on your subject.

And then you get a real custom Ti light.

Just a thought.

obi

dash8

Newly Enlightened
Yes if I was going to spend $500, I'd get one of McGizmos creations. I ordered the MTE last night, $225.

MikeHOP

Newly Enlightened
Also, I see that Dash8 went for the MTE UV light. I'm not trying to start trouble, but I just have a valid question: If Greg McGee, the maker of the light is watching this, please answer the following question: Google the Nichia chip. Device NCSU034B, the LED you say you use, emits a maximum flux of 470, and that's with a Rank 11 chip, too unstable for reliable flashlight use. You claim "approximately 658mw" from your U301 365nm Nichia UV LED Flashlight. Since Nichia has concerns bigger than flashlights, I'll believe their data. What's happened here with your data and will you offer a refund to those who bought a light from you based on incorrect specs?

gmcgee6367

Newly Enlightened
Also, I see that Dash8 went for the MTE UV light. I'm not trying to start trouble, but I just have a valid question: If Greg McGee, the maker of the light is watching this, please answer the following question: Google the Nichia chip. Device NCSU034B, the LED you say you use, emits a maximum flux of 470, and that's with a Rank 11 chip, too unstable for reliable flashlight use. You claim "approximately 658mw" from your U301 365nm Nichia UV LED Flashlight. Since Nichia has concerns bigger than flashlights, I'll believe their data. What's happened here with your data and will you offer a refund to those who bought a light from you based on incorrect specs?

I think I corrected the specs. Check my link, here it is now: Power UV LED-class 1M Nichia NCSU033B diode Wavelength 365nm. I removed the power.

Of course anyone who isn't happy can get a refund. Everyone that has bought these lights have been pretty satisfied. Thornton PD (Colorado) CSI bought 5 and another local PD (Northglenn) bought three or four and used them to make a UV investigation techniquest training video for all LE.

Thanks,
Greg McGee

MikeHOP

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Greg,

I see no change. The link to that light from your site still says "658mW" and I did a hard-refresh to be sure the page wasn't cached. Also, you mention sterilization. 365nm will not perform any sterilization.

Thanks,
Mike

gmcgee6367

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Greg,

I see no change. The link to that light from your site still says "658mW" and I did a hard-refresh to be sure the page wasn't cached. Also, you mention sterilization. 365nm will not perform any sterilization.

Thanks,
Mike

I think there are several sources that differ with the opinion on sterilization but they do sterilize. Of course I wouldn't rely on it to kill some deadly bacteria before I drank pond water so whatever the sterilization requirement is should be the primary consideration:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18003342

http://www.bioelectromagnetics.org/bems2010/supp_data/P-A-140.pdf

Thanks,
Greg

MikeHOP

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I see, you are correct. Those reports do say that 365nm will sterilize but it takes a very long time. SW sterilization devices are capable of killing bacteria and protozoa in real time with a high flow rate. It is news to me that 365nm will sterilize but I guess that's because it's not a very efficient way to do it. This was probably investigated because 254nm LED's are very weak and horrendously expensive. I have a 254nm LED from Sensor Electronic Technology that ran me something like $285. It's flux is so feeble, it's novel but essentially useless, unless you're sending a sterilization device to Mars.

gmcgee6367

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I see, you are correct. Those reports do say that 365nm will sterilize but it takes a very long time. SW sterilization devices are capable of killing bacteria and protozoa in real time with a high flow rate. It is news to me that 365nm will sterilize but I guess that's because it's not a very efficient way to do it. This was probably investigated because 254nm LED's are very weak and horrendously expensive. I have a 254nm LED from Sensor Electronic Technology that ran me something like $285. It's flux is so feeble, it's novel but essentially useless, unless you're sending a sterilization device to Mars.

Wikipedia has a good table on UV light and energy per photon along with the generic uses. The 200-10nm is referred to as vacuum uvltraviolet which kind of emphasizes your point that the 254nm has such feeble flux. At 200 and lower the pricipal absorber is the oxygen in air (although it has a lot of energy per photon) so it really is only good for use on Mars!

I have a new MTE 285nm light coming out for a pretty low price in the next couple days. I have a lot of them in stock but I haven't listed them on the site because I have been busy with big orders. I got them primarily for doing conformal coat inspections on UV reactive conformal coat but they are just cool for some reason...

The link to the wikipedia page is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet

Thanks,
Greg