Suggestions for a flashlight for a pilot

Ryan W

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a brother who's a pilot and am considering getting him a flashlight, mainly for flying, but who knows. I was thinking something with a red light would be good but I'm not sure because he has to do preflight inspection where he walks around the plane checking things out. He flys mainly single and twin engine Cessnas. The Surefires are way out of my price range. I am wanting to keep it down to $20-$30 range. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight TwinTask 2L? Only thing is that its got 3 White Leds not red. And the Xenon function would be good for checking the plane exterior too...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was going to suggest the SureFire Aviator A2 as well. You can get it with white, red, or blue LEDs (maybe green too) and you can use the incandescent bulb for checking the outside of your airplane.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the A2 is above the $30 price range tho.
that'd be the perfect light for him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

i will 2nd the suggestion for the Streamlight Twin Task 2L.. it's a combination of a xenon beam which would be good for checking outside of the plane, and 3 white LEDs surrounding the xenon bulb that provide softer, more personal light.. it's available in titanium and black finishes.. and it's in your price range!:)

-Ryan

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryan-

that is real tough with a $30 limit. But if you want cool, go with Stanley's suggestion of the Streamlight Twin Task 2L

$29.99 plus shipping, you will NOT regret it!

GregR

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. Its a tad more than $30.00 but what about an Inova 24/7? Its not a conventional looking light but it has the red and white option.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
too bad the A2 is above his price range, or it'd be -perfect-. you might want to look at the streamlight twin-task /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Remember what the "A" in "A2" stands for...Avaitor(sp). It was designed for pilots.

road__kill

Newly Enlightened
If you want it in red try the X5MT-RB or RT or the X1MT-RB or RT. They will be good in the plane while flying but won't be the best for pre-flight inspection. The A2 was made for both
but is well above the price limit you set. Maybe two X1's, one red and one white. That would run you about $40.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the price range, the Streamlight TT-2L (Twin Task 2L) is the best choice. Otherwise, an A2 Aviator with WHITE LED's would be the best choice. Aviation maps are much easier read with white light.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a good friend who is a pilot. He used an Infinity Red for when the lights failed in the cockpit (yes, it's been known to happen in the single engine planes he flies on occasion...) and loved it. Wedged it between the headset and his head just over his ear. Just enough light to see the instruments and yet keep eyes well adapted for low light use. I recently gave him my 1 Red LED cliplight for brighter output and he likes that even more because of the clip.

The 3-LED version of the cliplight is available at Walmart right now very inexpensively.

For bright output, consider picking him up a Legend LX while you're at walmart. I think, between the two lights, you should be about within your budget.

Of course, a Surefire A2 with red leds would be the best option, but the options mentioned above will be be closer to your budgetary requirements.

Ryan W

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies! I am seriously considering the Twin Task 1L or 2L, but have a few questions. How do the incandescent modes compare to say Surefires E1E and E2E? Also do you know if it is possible to get the LED's in red? Thanks again for all your help! And keep the suggestions coming!

Ryan

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Twin task 2L is not as quite as bright as the E2e and has a broader beam. I don't believe the LED's at this time are available in anything other than white.

GregR

Kuvittelija

Newly Enlightened
While being in the US for a flight school (1996) I remember there was some light advertised in pilot-magazines that had a blue led light. The ad:s in the mags said it would be much better than the white light, as it would not blind eye you. But I found that all I ever needed was the standard Cessna light, very yellowish glow from the ceiling facing front. It was dimmable so that explains the yellow color. Havent really flown anymore, but if I were to get a light to fly with me, it would be...EternaLight elitemax. I'd use maximum power to do the check outside before flight and for night flight I'd use the dimming function to get just enough light to see the gauges and maps. Eternalight ERGO is only $40 and maybe less when you search the net?
BTW: the law requires double D size flashlight aboard but I cant recall if that applies only for the commercial planes.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I missed the $30 limit. Sounds like a Streamlight will be your ticket.