First LED Flshlight ?

Newly Enlightened
1) Which flashlight manufacturer first used LED's in their flashlights ?
2) How much did it cost ?
3) Year it was produced ?

Thanks all. I was just wondering.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Which flashlight manufacturer first used LED's in their flashlights ?
2) How much did it cost ?
3) Year it was produced ?

Thanks all. I was just wondering.

I googled 'Flashlight History.' Wikipedia told me:

First power LED flashlight: Arc LS in 2009. But this is the first bright LED flashlight commercially produced, not the first LED flashlight. What counts? LEDs were used in device displays by the 1970s, so your HP calculator could (just barely) provide red light.

"A possible answer is "Arc Flashlights, Sometime around 2001, about $50."

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED flashlight was a little keychain light powered by 3 button cell batteries. The switch was activated by twisting the keychain mount at the back. The light was made of black plastic and had a titanium sleeve. The LED source was a single 10mm red LED that produced very dim red illumination. Beam pattern consisted of a fuzzy square surrounded by a fuzzy circle. Almost no spill. White LEDs were not available at the time. Not sure exactly when I got it but I think it was around 1990. I purchased it from Brookstone or Sharper Image. I don't recall how much it cost exactly, but it was probably around $20-30. I still have this light and it still works, though I don't use it anymore.

My first white LED flashlight was purchased a few years later. It was made of translucent blue plastic with a clear plastic lens. It was powered by 3xAA batteries. Light source consisted of 2x5mm white LEDs with no reflector. It was the first white LED flashlight I'd ever seen.