ARC-AAA New Style Tailcap

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
I'll put my reservation in right now, too.

I'm not exactly sure why, but the ability to stand on its end is important to me.

-barry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The new tail is real nice! The only drawback I see is if you want to hang the light, the centered tab lets the light hang straight. I suppose you could do an external D ring on the new style and have the best of both worlds. Like anybody asked me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic
Tail-standing has *always* been important for me. I've modified the ends of many of my lights just so I could use them that way. Finally got my hands on the AA with the new-style butt, and this really is a great thing! Bring it on, baby! Looking forward to it in the AAA, for sure.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Remember that light you showed me at Sequoia, Peter? I think you should make it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
The AA tail is great for standing on end. The BP Mini Clip doesn't interfere with the ability to "stand and deliver."

I don't know if I'd like it, however, on the AAA. With the exisiting design it fits perfectly on my key ring all snug with my other keys. If it were offset like the AA I think that it would make my key ring a tad too bulky.

notos&w

Enlightened
i like the new tailcap too. I would, however, suggest that the slot be cut on either side of the hole so that you have a 100% chance of getting the ring correctly aligned rather than the 50% we currently face.

Darkaway

Enlightened
Call me paranoid, but I always feel like the split ring on my "new style" AA is going to eventually wear through the little bit of metal that was left on the rim after the hole was drilled. I would imagine that an AAA version would have even less material left around the hole.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
notos&w said:
I would, however, suggest that the slot be cut on either side of the hole so that you have a 100% chance of getting the ring correctly aligned rather than the 50% we currently face.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to suggest the exact same thing. I think this would be a nice improvement.
Pat

Mattman

Enlightened
I thought the same thing about the slot being on both sides of the hole for the ring. The only problem I can think of is if this significantly weakens the rim where the ring is attached since it will only be attached at the base and not on one of the sides as well. With that said, I'm someone who is considering chucking the rings on all of my Arcs since I never use them and the jingling ring just irritates me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rodmeister

Enlightened
I prefer the old style. Someone on this board invented a way to use the pocket clip to stand the ARC AAA on it's end. You mount the clip with the point toward the flashlight head, then slide the clip base all the way down until it's even with the end. The circular clip base holds up the light.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Yeah, if you actually use the pocket clip. I keep a couple around (I even bought five of them, back when Peter was selling them directly), but I rarely use them.

The one around my neck had its clip removed the first day, because the clip kept pulling my chest hairs. Granted, I have a bunch, but that just means more opportunity for the pointless aggravation of clip-plucked hairs.

The one in my left-hand pants pocket had its clip removed after a few times that it got pulled out with my keys, when I had intended for it to stay in my pocket.

The one in my right-hand pants pocket "lost" its clip right about that same time, I believe, for the same reason.

The other not-quite-EDC lights tend to be "stored" on my dresser or nightstand with the clips attached, in case I want to use the lights on a hat brim, or want to show them off to a potential new Arc customer (or just to show them off because I like the way they look, and I just love the way they make people's faces look when they get powered up).

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not convinced the majority of users would want to go that direction though. The AAA is primarily used while attached to something so the lug is favored.

However, the AA, with it's extended run time, is more ideal in that regard for lighting up a room.

Peter

rodmeister

Enlightened
Clip as ARC AAA holder

Peter: As I mentioned on a previous post, someone on this forum suggested using the pocket clip as an ARC AAA stand.

1. Why not mention the clip as an ARC AAA stand on your website? Call it a "clip/stand".

2. For those who dislike the pocket clip, manufacture an accessory,friction-fit, plastic sleeve. It would fit the outer body of the ARC and be about 1/2" long, with a side cutout for the lanyard. One could leave it on the ARC AAA and slide it down for a stand.

3. Although the slight scratching caused by the pocket clip doesn't bother me, consider having pocket clips and the above mention accessory stand made in plactic.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Clip as ARC AAA holder

BTTT.

I've a vested interest in seeing the AAA made with the new style tailcap:

I like the AA New Cap so much, I'll probably never purchase another AAA with the old style. The new cap is so much more versatile, useful, & much more pretty!

Show of hands! Lets see some AAA's with the New Style Cap!!!!!! I'll take 2!!!!!!

Brian

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened

yep, count me in for one or two of the new style AAA.

-barry

paulr

Flashaholic

I'd definitely like a tailstanding AAA. The battery runtime is practically irrelevant. Usually when I want to light a room with an LED light, it's just for a few minutes tops, like in order to get undressed for bed without waking up someone else in the room by turning on the room light. However, during the NY blackout I used my AAA to light a room for hours and hours, by standing it up in a coffee cup.

The trick of using the pocket clip works but is very finicky. It would be nice if a clip was available whose "sleeve" part was longer. Also, I like to keep the clip pointing backwards for use as a hat clip. Maybe I could set up an AAA with a normal clip pointing backwards, and a cut-off clip (just the sleeve part) for use as a stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.