rechargeable LED surefire?

ferreter

Newly Enlightened
G'day All

(first post on Candlepowerforums so please excuse me if i'm going over something already discussed)

I've been looking at getting a Surefire but since i'm living in Australia there are a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Surefires (if you can find them in Oz) are horrendously expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif (eg: 6p AUS$193.00) and the batteries would send me broke overnight (AUS$10.00 each or more).

after discovering these facts and picking myself up off the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I thought that the best solution would be a rechargeable LED Surefire combo so no buying pricey batteries every week.

After looking at the Surefire website I was considering the following combo: 6P + KL3 + KR2-BK

This is still over AUS$500 worth thru anyone who deals with surefires down here. I have considered getting it online but shipping charges and possible loss/theft in transit tend to dissuade me.

Can anyone suggest a better combo that will give me a (prefferably) rechargeable LED Surefire or should I look at an L4 surefire and order batteries from the US in bulk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also can anyone tell me if the recharger kit is international voltage capable if I do end up ordering via the web?

TIA

Ferreter

kev1-1

Enlightened
Hey ferreter,
You might consider buying overseas (U.S) which would drop your prices quite a bit. Although you will probably lose this option some time in December as Surefire is cutting off its online dealers. Hopefully some other AUS members could help you out with a cheaper place to get 123A's?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always go for USPS Global Priority $9 sachet or $19 box and never ever lost a package. Delivery time is normally less than a week. Never a let down.

Vince.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I'm running the KL3 on a 9P plus three A19 battery extensions with four AA NiMH batteries. Tried two A14 battery extensions first and found it needed a very short dummy cell (about 5mm) to work reliably. If that is too long you can use the Surefire B65 battery with the A20 adapter on the 9P or the A14 on the 6P. The B65 is good for about 75 minutes. Four 1950 AA NiMH batteries are good for over 8 hours. If you don't mind the length, you can also use 6 NiMH batteries. I did once, but shortened it because it might be considered a baton, which is illegal here. By the way, you can also use alkalines with the KL3.
oldgrandpajack

PS: I used 24 lb. paper, from my printer, rolled around the AA batteries. Keeps them straight and rattle free.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feretter,

the obvious choices were named already - let me give you some more esoteric ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You might need to learn to use the SEARCH function of this forum to get more insight into some of the mentioned parts needed for such ....

KL1 or KL4 using PILA LiIon cells in standard L4 bodies
KL3 on AN14 extended G2 body with B65 or equivalent cells
KL1 using 2 AA/A NiMhs using standard bodies with DSpeck cell extenders or UBH / McLux 3cell / TW3 bodies.
KL4 using (not really readily avaiable) 3AA bodies
KL1 on standard body using 2 slightly lenghtened 2/3A cells

Klaus

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The KL1 is the best bezel for the UBH II kit, as far as I'm concerned. Stuff it with AA alkalines, AA NiMH's, AA NiCd's, AA Lithium's or 123A Lithium's and it works. With the included dummy cells you can use only one or two 123A cells.

You can also use the incandescent R60, P60, N4 and N1 on four AA NiMH batteries. I have the N4 in a KT1 on an old 6P (shorter body than current 6P) plus two A14 battery extensions and one A19 battery extension. The 9P with three A19 battery extensions also works.
oldgrandpajack

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The 123 Battery Extender, by DSpeck, turns the E2, E2E and L4 bodies into a virtual UBH II. Put the KL1 on top and add any of the batteries listed above, you're set to go. Use a sheet of paper rolled around the AA batteries to keep them straight and rattle free.
oldgrandpajack