my first arc

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
Well I just ordered my first arc, or arc's actually, I ended up ordering 4 arc aaa's. I figured I could keep the brightest one for myself and give the rest to family for Christmas presents, and besides, they seem to be almost a membership requirement of this forum. The thing is, I'm now wondering if I should have ordered at least one premium rather than all standards. I was under the impression that the only difference between the standard and premium was the tint of the led, which didn't bother me much. However, since then I've read that the premium is noticably brighter, as well as a warmer tint. Is it too late to change my order or will the standards be as bright? Oh yeah, I ordered direct from arc, but I can't find any way of editing my order on their site.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
My AAA standards appear to be as bright as my premiums. Some people percieve the premiums as brighter because of the tint variation. Closer to white "looks" a little brighter. Arc sanctioned tests scored both standards and premiums at 3 lumens. My 9 year old actually traded me her premium for one of my standards because she liked the beam color better. I think you'll be well pleased with the standards.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
p - I didn't notice this 'till the other day (re-read the FAQ), but there's a bot of overlap in the binning of the LED between the AAA Premiums and the standards.

[ QUOTE ]

The Standard Arc-AAA uses a R or S flux and B2 or B3 tint. The Premium Arc-AAA uses a S flux with a B2 or B1 tint.

[/ QUOTE ]

You stand better "odds" of getting a "whiter/brighter" LED with the Premium -- but it's luck of the draw that you just might get a standard that's binned the same as the Premium, and thus get something that might be "just as white/bright" or, due to natural variation, something which may even be slightly "better."

If you're truly trying to get "white/bright," it's better odds to go with the Premium...but unless you're a devotee, I, too, as the oithers, think you'll be just fine with the standards.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:

If you're truly trying to get "white/bright," it's better odds to go with the Premium...but unless you're a devotee, I, too, as the oithers, think you'll be just fine with the standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Allen. You usually can't (or at least I couldn't) really notice that one is off white until you have a few to compare. They all seem to be very nice tints, but you might find one that you prefer to another.

-Mike

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't find enough of a difference in the two to justify me spending the price difference. I have several standards that are just are premium as my premiums. I have standards that are noticeably different, but they are all good, very useful lights.

When it gets down to the business of using one to illuminate something, instead of shining them on the wall next to each other for comparisons sake, one works equally as well as another. You won't be disappointed.

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, looks like I'll be keeping my favourite, retiring my trusty photon, and giving the others as gifts. Can't wait to try them out. Now I'm starting to wish I'd ordered an LS as well. Maybe I'll just wait for more sconds to become available.

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I posted this question before, with no response. I'm asking for an ARC AAA for Christmas, and I live in Canada. Like most people, I want a good deal. I see that some of the dealers have "free shipping" to Canada (and ARC charges for shipping). Which dealer would you recommend? (I don't know if that is rude to ask, because ARC still gets the money in the end anyway, right?) Is there any difference between getting it right from ARC or a dealer?

Thanks for you time!

P.S. I told my family member they can order it from CFR.

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I use Pocketlights on a regular basis and suggest you do the same.Fair prices,low shipping charges and all my orders slip right past customs, you'll see why when you order.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
meridian tactical does out-of-country shipping as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JCW

Newly Enlightened
I received two CPF Specials today and they are a nice addition to my keychains.

Status
Not open for further replies.