Embarrassed by being a flashaholic?

naiter

Newly Enlightened
For you, what moment(s) should have been embarrassing (maybe they were) for being a flashaholic?

I think this should be embarrassing, that my co-workers saw me like this, but it's not.

Can you find the CPF member in this picture?
chaseinstallsmall.jpg

I should be mad that that I look like a woman, but instead I'm disappointed they didn't get the lights right. That headlamp looks nothing like a ZL H31F, nor does the flashlight resemble a 4Sevens Quark123x2. Did they not give the characacher drawer pics of us? I must've had a few with my headlamp! LOL

Old pic, but I always thought it was funny that I get characacher'd with flashlights... Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

langham

Enlightened
No, never embarrassed, although I don't particularly care to be grouped based solely on my passions. I have been refered to through the years as a few different things, I think that flashaholic is the best so far though. I was heavy in to audio until Pioneer took major steps backward after the original line of championship pro premier subs, after that it just seemed like to me that the whole industry died. The flashlight world is more than just an extra thing that people have that they don't need though since a majority of the technology comes from other more necessary fields, it seems like it will be a long time before I lose interest. I do like that you ware one of the few that doesn't have a job related theme to their picture though. Why would you have a headlamp in an office?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
why wouldnt he have a headlamp at the office with him? lol.

its very useful!

---
i know a friend of mine once tried to make fun out of me as flashlight nut asking in a wedding party in front of bunch of people to show him how many lights i have with me at the moment. told him that i was running lightly at the moment (got basics in the car if one needs one) but i only have 3 lights with me. he chuckled and so did half of the table. and i showed them all to them.. "yeah 3 flashlights in a party, thats stupid, you are nuts.."

i laughed with them saying its just me ..i like to be ready. and then proceeded to ask the other half of the table that didnt laugh, did they happen to need a flashlight that evening.. they had. and who had loaned them one.

i had.

and suddenly the others went little akward looking.

and it didnt help them at all, as i proceeded to mention to them that they have also needed my other "stupid" stuff i carry, earlier in the evening.. one needed my multitools pliers (weird thing to have with you here).. and two of them needed my pocket knife (why would you carry one at all) , and all the rest have been getting their beers opened by my stupid bottleopener. and left them to brew on that thought.. and when walking away hearing one of them beeing lectured by their wife about how i was able to find their daughters lost pacifier in the backyard in less than a minute in pitch black darkness.

naiter

Newly Enlightened
i laughed with them saying its just me ..i like to be ready. and then proceeded to ask the other half of the table that didnt laugh, did they happen to need a flashlight that evening.. they had. and who had loaned them one.

i had.

and suddenly the others went little akward looking.

and it didnt help them at all, as i proceeded to mention to them that they have also needed my other "stupid" stuff i carry, earlier in the evening..
Nice story! "and suddenly the others went little akward looking.":laughing:
It is amazing how many people end up repeatably asking for a light or a knife, but still wont carry one of their own... Ended up carrying an extra "loaner" light when working.

"Why would you have a headlamp in an office?"
Other than me having a headlamp often in a finished office, :p :tinfoil:, this particular pic had more reason...
The pic is mostly the AV install crew + some of the management people/sales people from the office. (anyone evolved on that project got in the pic). The install job site was an office building (few floors of Century Park Towers, LA). I didn't get to do the programming for that one, instead I volunteered to go install on the job cuz I knew the hours would be massive(4 x 80hr back to back weeks). I ended up being the guy running from room to room QC'n the systems, fixing terminations, and getting RMAs on bad gear. Everyone was all over the place, but some guys had more specific places they were mostly working. But it would've been nice to get a tool-belt too, Right?

naiter

Newly Enlightened
No, never embarrassed, although I don't particularly care to be grouped based solely on my passions. I have been refered to through the years as a few different things, I think that flashaholic is the best so far though.
...until Pioneer took major steps backward after the original line of championship pro premier subs...

Society try's to find ways for making "in" groups and "out" groups. "out" groups are terrible, and cause problems. can't ramble much more here without getting off subject/ CPF rules(which i love)...

But I do really like the flashaholic "in" group we have here because is breaks through all the other barriers and gives me something in common with people that I might otherwise have absolutely nothing in common with. If I met another a CPF member in real life I'd automatically treat then like a friend, regardless of anything else.

I had two "Power" 2000w 15" subs in my '91 CRX as a kid, powered by two pioneer 1000w amps, + pioneer capacitors. bought it all at the fosgate factory with discount under dealer price(working in the industry at the time) ;)

Stream

Enlightened

I should be mad that that I look like a woman, but instead I'm disappointed they didn't get the lights right. That headlamp looks nothing like a ZL H31F, nor does the flashlight resemble a 4Sevens Quark123x2. Did they not give the characacher drawer pics of us? I must've had a few with my headlamp! LOL

I'm sure they didn't get the forklift right, either :D

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoot an I was going to say the guy on the forklift! But if it's not him, ......Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... the guy in the floating in the cloud! Yeah, the guy in the cloud!

Ok, so what do I win?

4591600f.jpg

Calvin

Last edited:

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Stream: LOL! your right that forklift does has a top on it, they got the name in the side though...
AZPops: Cloud guy does have more light around him than anyone else... angel light? Nope, owner light! I can get you a candy cane for second place?:santa: You prob live around the corner.

scout24

Flashaholic
Not embarrassed, at work when someone asks why I carry a flashlight during the day I respond with "I don't, I carry two..." Same reason I carry a Leatherman, a pocketknife or two, and a pen. I need and use them multiple times a day. Sometimes I'll respond with " Because you don't." :) It's been a while since anyone has asked. Even converted a co-worker temporarily during Sandy and the ensuing outage.

Never been embarrassed, usually I leave the people without light feeling embarrassed. I worked a a helper with a contractor who never had a light on him, he kept it with his tools but he always asked to borrow mine because it was on me.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats with the one guy floating in the clouds with rays of light emanating from behind him? Is he Jesus?

Nobody really knows that I am a "flashaholic" because I dont talk about it with people around me. Even my roommate doesnt know. I keep 95% of them in my bedroom, with only a few out in the open and the rest arent in plain sight. Nobody knows that I collect lights because I dont want anyone giving me a hard time about it. They will too! I dont want to have to stand there and try to justify it, because quite frankly, I dont really have a justification they are going to buy anyway! Now that I am forced to actually think about it, it almost seems like a problem or something. So I guess you could say I'm embarrassed a little as far as not wanting other people to judge me for it, but I personally dont have any problem with collecting them, or else I wouldnt be doing it.

It just seems that many people have this pre conceived notion of which items ARE or ARE NOT acceptable as collectors items, and if you collect bells like my Mom does, thats OK, or collector plates, etc. But I can already predict that some people I know will think its odd to collect flashlights, so why bother telling them? I dont know why some people think that its OK to collect one item, but not another item, but I'm not in a big hurry to to have a conversation about it, so I dont mention it at all. I will break out a light when I need one when I'm around these people, but they dont notice that I may be using different lights each time!

I live on the border of the mid-Atlantic and the Northeast, and I can tell you that many people would see anyone who collected knives as being some kind of wacko or something! But if you go 50 miles south, you most likely wont find too many people who think like that. I simply mentioned to my roommate during a debate that I was in favor of the 2nd amendment and she initially asked me, "are you one of those gun nuts"? I own 3 guns for heavens sake! So thats the mentality you sometimes find around here, and north of here.

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
It sounds like we have a closet flashoholic here. The only reason someone doesn't know that I am a flashaholic is if they somehow miss the Nitize holster on my waist with my 800lm EDC on it. Highlander you should try to find somewhere where your lights would be appreciated, like a cave I know of a few around those parts. How do you carry your flashlight so that no one will notice? Do they think that you are always excited to see them, or are you always wearing a jacket? I guess geographical location does make a huge difference as I am centered in the deep south most people will think you look silly without a flashlight, a knife and a hat of some sort. When I was in the navy several of my northern co-workers were quick to judge others about being different and be serious, but the southern guys just kind of went with the flow. The atmosphere matters too, because I was on the University of Alabama campus at 1 in the morning and my friend turned up my music (which is something that I rarely do, due to the fact that I have a 4700W stereo) and everyone seemed to like it, but you put yourself in a small neighborhood and you will get the cops called. I don't know if any of you guys get this, but I have a blu-ray laser that I made, and almost everyone seems to love that and ask me where I got it, but they are not interested at all in my flashlight. Seems a little strange as the laser is absolutely useless while the flashlight comes in handy all of the time.

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Whats with the one guy floating in the clouds with rays of light emanating from behind him? Is he Jesus?...
It just seems that many people have this pre conceived notion of which items ARE or ARE NOT acceptable as collectors items, and if you collect bells like my Mom does, thats OK, or collector plates, etc. But I can already predict that some people I know will think its odd to collect flashlights, so why bother telling them? ...
...But if you go 50 miles south, you most likely wont find too many people who think like that...
The guy in the clouds in the Owner. he wasn't ever working on the job...
HighlanderNorth,
You hit a good points here, that I didn't realize before. You're the guy I was kinda looking for when posting the thread. It is hard for me to get embarrassed about almost anything, and sometimes I find myself almost embarrassed about lights. Not embarrassed enough to change my actions, but enough to know other CPF goes would be embarrassed. I'm glad that you pointed out your environment gives much more reason to be secret about your collection. Adds perspective. It makes me grateful that where I live its pretty diverse, so the people that judge, aren't overwhelming in number.

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
The guy in the clouds in the Owner. he wasn't ever working on the job...
HighlanderNorth,
You hit a good points here, that I didn't realize before. You're the guy I was kinda looking for when posting the thread. It is hard for me to get embarrassed about almost anything, and sometimes I find myself almost embarrassed about lights. Not embarrassed enough to change my actions, but enough to know other CPF goes would be embarrassed. I'm glad that you pointed out your environment gives much more reason to be secret about your collection. Adds perspective. It makes me grateful that where I live its pretty diverse, so the people that judge, aren't overwhelming in number.

I really like this post, it is one of the reasons that this is a great group of people to have a common addiction with, I think it just kind of defines the community well.:grin2:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No reason at all to feel embarrassed at being prepared and carrying around a light, or knife, or multi,-tool, or any other type of EDC gear that an intelligent human-being would. Why be embarrassed at all? Simply because others choose to go around unprepared to meet the daily challenges of Life doesn't mean you should feel awkward at their mass lack of preparedness.

ToyTank

Enlightened
Not only I am not embarrassed I'm proud. Some people think it's wierd, I think shoes, purses, tea pots, china, silverware, salt n pepper shackers, etc collecting is weird. Different folks different strokes.

moozooh

Enlightened
Very interesting topic, and an important one for any hobbyist community as a whole.

As I see it, there are two main "problems" with a hobby such as flashaholism. One is collecting. Of course, collecting anything per se is only as weird as collecting anything else, really. But the thing is it quite literally constitutes a gratuitous excess. The other problem, which is rarer and more annoying to outsiders, is the issue of a hammer looking for nails. There are times when you need a flashlight, times when you are expected to have it, and then there are times where you use it just because you like using it, and are thus looking for any thinkable opportunity to do it. It may be rational to an extent, too, so from a flashaholic's point of view something like using a flashlight instead of a ceiling lamp to save a few cents' worth of electricity bills (and then spend hundreds of dollars on another flashlight) might be completely normal. It's only when you analyze everything without attempts to justify your behavior that you understand what flashaholism is and why it's odd. There's a lot less embarrassment when you just come to terms with the fact that you collect and carry excessive(-ly large) flashlights just because you like them and like using them, instead of rationalizing it to the extent of "this one is for when I walk a dog so it's floody, this one is for when it's dark on my porch so I only need little light, and this one is for when someone jumps me from behind". (I'm purposefully exaggerating here.)

There's a difference between, say, owning a set of screwdrivers ranged by their head size and taking them where you'll definitely need them, and owning an assortment of screwdrivers ranged by different length, handle and tip material, amount of interchangeable bits, and brand of steel, and taking those everywhere just in case you might need one of them. In the former case any one screwdriver of the set can't adequately substitute any other—in the latter there will going to be a lot of overlap. Similarly, if there's a high chance you'll need any of these screwdrivers (if using screwdrivers is a part of your daily job, for instance), it makes sense to carry an entire set with minimal overlap. When you carry three lights to a party, there's literally no chance their functions won't overlap completely at least once. People who collect bells or somesuch don't take their collection wherever they go, mind you, which is one good reason it doesn't seem so odd.

Basically, if you're carrying anything that might or might not be useful under some circumstances just to "be prepared", well, it's only fair that people might consider that odd: they interpret it as your fear of the unexpected. You've considered everything that might go wrong even if the chances of it being the case are vanishingly small, and the thought of facing a problem that might arise unprepared makes you uneasy. (Most likely being fearful in this way contributes to embarrassment more than anything else.) People feel that and chuckle at it even if they don't necessarily realize what is it that makes it funny. On the other hand, that is also their way of shrugging off the thought that it's them who aren't fulfilling their basics of preparedness, which for most people, with regard to flashlights, would well be fulfilled by a small AAA keychain light or a decent smartphone with a camera flash LED and a flashlight app—these things put out >10 lm these days, which is plenty enough for most circumstances not requiring a dedicated flashlight use. Some people don't even have that, and that's indeed no less odd and embarrassing than having more than needed—just another embarrassing extreme. In event of a blackout, they'll be helpless while you'll victoriously brandish your three flashlights, of which you only needed at most one for yourself, and get the warm fuzzy feeling of outsmarting everyone and/or being helpful to them. Such help, however, goes seemingly under-appreciated because it's rarely all that important. Lost pacifier is no big deal, and the wife who scolds her husband for that should be ashamed, I'd say. Which brings us to the following point.

A flashlight is, in vast majority of urban cases, not a lifesaver—at least not any more than any other generic tool... yes, like a hammer or a zippo. Thus is also feels odd that a person who wants to be helpful and avert local crises opts to carry the excess of a specific tool rather than, say... medications! Imagine how helpful would be EDCing some 5-7 most important medications that could potentially avert a popular health- or life-threatening scenario; things like: glucose, painkillers, antihistamines, aspirin, antiseptic, antibiotics, bandages, sedatives, absorbites, vasodilators, and something against fainting. All of that combined takes up barely more space than a 1x18650 flashlight, yet how many people other than trained medics carry these medications every day? Something to think about.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
moozooh,
that is one great post!
I have had these thoughts before when I have read threads about funny comments regarding EDCing lights and stuff like that but it's been difficult to clear it out like you did.

Not that I have felt embarrassed in front of other people about carrying a light but more for myself when I try to pick what light to put in my pocket.
I might reason like this:
Do I really need to bring a 18650 light for a 10 min dogwalk when I have a 1xAAA light in my pocket already?
I live in a well lit area, we have lost power for maybe 15-30 min total during 6 years.
What if we do loose power during my dogwalk and I need to get home without streetlights?
Is my AAA light enough? Yes., Can my AAA light fail? Yes, but it never happened yet.
What if we loose power AND my light fails, is it dangerous for me?
Well, I might step in dog poop, but not much worse.
Conclusion: my 1xAAA light in my pocket is all I need.
The other lights I bring on the walk is just for fun...:)

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
feeling embarrassed by yourself when thinking about: "hey im going to a trip, which flashlights do i take with me." long before even giving a moments thought to something like clothes or other stuff to take with.. thinking that the flashlights are the first priority.

feeling embarrased by yourself: going thru the lights you did take with you to 4 hour job gig where you did know you will need "A flashlight". just going thru the pockets and others realising that you took 4 or more lights with you.. on top of the 3-4 you normally carry thru a work day. " but this is special occasion".

AND then find youself thinking that if i would really get in trouble, how long would my flashlights really put out light.. and getting mixed up in your calculations sometime after counting up to 4 weeks, lights kept in lowest mode for 24/7. maybe.. just maybe, i have more bigger problems if i cant get out of the dark attick in 4 weeks of time before my lights die on me. ..right?