Whats the best 1xAA thrower (highest luxury with AA or NiMh)

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
As above with standard or NiMh battery what has the highest lux rating for a single AA light. Most single AA light don't throw as well as thrunite ti aaa, so would like to know the best as they don't advertise lux just lumens.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens QB2A with XP-G2 beat the field in 2xAA form on Selfbuilt's review. Just get the optional 1xAA tube. Will also run a 14500 for full power, and retain full regulation on all lower modes, if you ever go that route later on.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I was thinking about the quark turbo head before I posted my recommendation, but IIRC that doesn't really shine on a single NiMH AA, does it?

cyclesport

Enlightened
I can't say definitively since I don't yet own one but the new ThruNite Archer 1A/XP-G2 is starting to look like a real front runner in terms of throw and output. Initial owner reports seem promising, and if it's like its predecessor the Neutron 1A which I do have, I strongly suspect it will have very good run times, be fully regulated on both NiMH and Li-ion chem's and like the Neutron...be grossly underrated in published output. It also possesses a usable firefly mode and good mode spacing.

I'm still astonished at what the Neutron 1A will do with 3.7v, and am guessing the Archer is another sleeper that many will overlook in favor of more well known lights.

coolrat33

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find a light to replace the Romisen RC29.
The Romisen RC29 impressed me with its decent build quality, and wide flood beam with the ability to focus the beam narrowly.

Now I want something better. Is there a single AA light, waterproof, focusable, with low/high power setting, that has as wide a beam as Romisen RC29 and is comparable in brightness?
Does the new LED Lenser M5 come close?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak lights use TIR optics. I bet the El Capitan scores pretty highly here, especially for its size.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about the quark turbo head before I posted my recommendation, but IIRC that doesn't really shine on a single NiMH AA, does it?
Nothing shines with a single aa, but it will be as bright as the single aa quarks, only better focused.
I love my old xp-e quark mini. Throwy for a tiny light when driven on a 14500.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure it does... same basic driver as my QP2A-X and that outshines my D25A XML on 1xNiMh.

As you probably know from my testing and posts, as long as we are basing off of the same battery, I believe any of the high performance manufacturers (eg, 47s, ET, TN, ZL) are going to be about equal in terms of output/runtime/efficiency... certainly closer than a comparison of spec sheets would suggest.

Agree with Cyclesport to consider the ThruNite's as well. While I believe the Quark will still out throw the TNs just by virtue of the larger, deeper head, if the OP wants an even diameter, more easily pocketable light, the TNs might be ticket.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
....Initial owner reports seem promising, and if it's like its predecessor the Neutron 1A which I do have, I strongly suspect it will have very good run times, be fully regulated on both NiMH and Li-ion chem's and like the Neutron...be grossly underrated in published output. It also possesses a usable firefly mode and good mode spacing.

Question... I was going to pull the trigger on a Neutron 1A, but just noticed on SB's review that the light doesn't hold spec on Med and High with a 14500?

(Also, just a slight perspective difference, but I would argue that TN rates fairly, along with most other manufacturers, rather it's a small handful of manufacturers that over-exaggerate... and you can quickly see those standouts by filtering GoingGear's website by battery type)

cyclesport

Enlightened
Question... I was going to pull the trigger on a Neutron 1A, but just noticed on SB's review that the light doesn't hold spec on Med and High with a 14500?

(Also, just a slight perspective difference, but I would argue that TN rates fairly, along with most other manufacturers, rather it's a small handful of manufacturers that over-exaggerate... and you can quickly see those standouts by filtering GoingGear's website by battery type)

Not sure what you mean re: not holding spec on 14500's since TN's published specs on the Neutron 1A seem to be based on 1.5v AAs? In terms of everyday use, (which is the only way I personally have of evaluating the light), the 14500 outputs seems to have a consistent relative % output bump over an Eneloop for each mode....if that addresses your question?

And yeah, I get your point about ratings. You may be correct in that TN actually rates their lights closer to OTF/ANSI standards than some other manufacturers.

Also, since you're considering the Neutron 1A I'd like to advise you that it's a very cool tint probably over 6500k, if that concerns you....and this is purely my opinion, but if it was my money and I had a choice between the Neutron 1A and Archer 1A...I'd go for the Archer because I think it's evolved enough (forward clicky, better output and throw, choice of tints, prob. enhanced driver, etc) make it a more "fully developed" light IMHO.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what you mean re: not holding spec on 14500's since TN's published specs on the Neutron 1A seem to be based on 1.5v AAs? In terms of everyday use, (which is the only way I personally have of evaluating the light), the 14500 outputs seems to have a consistent relative % output bump over an Eneloop for each mode....if that addresses your question?

And yeah, I get your point about ratings. You may be correct in that TN actually rates their lights closer to OTF/ANSI standards than some other manufacturers.

Also, since you're considering the Neutron 1A I'd like to advise you that it's a very cool tint probably over 6500k, if that concerns you....and this is purely my opinion, but if it was my money and I had a choice between the Neutron 1A and Archer 1A...I'd go for the Archer because I think it's evolved enough (forward clicky, better output and throw, choice of tints, prob. enhanced driver, etc) make it a more "fully developed" light IMHO.

Yeah, the bolded statement is what I'm talking about... a light fully regulated for both NiMh and Li-ion, with proper boost and buck drivers, should ONLY take on output bump on Max with a Li-ion.... all lower modes should remain the same with either NiMh or Li-ion. I'm still searching for more lights, but it seems that only the Quarks and the SC52/SC80 can maintain full regulation with a NiMh/14500, and are spec'd for the voltage.

I'm not a tint snob, and hear you about the Archer, which I was also considering, but I'm a big low lumen fan and the large gap between its firefly and next level (20 something) would annoy me. The 9 lm low of my T10 is also higher than I like, but its a fine compromise for a three-mode and I do love that light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really cannot see how you think the Thrunite Ti AAA is a good thrower,other AAA are just as good and so many I own are much better.As regards a decent single AA something like the Fenix LD10 or Nitecore EZ AA come to mind,both are decent little throwers.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I really cannot see how you think the Thrunite Ti AAA is a good thrower,other AAA are just as good and so many I own are much better.As regards a decent single AA something like the Fenix LD10 or Nitecore EZ AA come to mind,both are decent little throwers.

Maybe I missed it, but see nowhere on this thread where anyone recommended the ThruNite Ti AAA light?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want throw in a 1xAA format how about a zoomable aspheric like the Sipik SK68 or its clones? As budget lights with old emitters they aren't in the same class as more modern lights like the SC52 or D25a. But at the same time, the SK68's small die emitter combined with aspheric lens can probably throw quite a bit further than most non-aspheric lights in that size range.

If you want even more throw, you could mod an SK68 by upgrading to a higher current driver, 14500 cell, and an XPG2 emitter.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
OneStopThrowShop sells a modded Thrunite T10 for throw. Thatd probably be the best, you could ask him to put in an xpe2 ;) If he did, that'd be the way to go