Workout routines, how do you train?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Hello from Norway.

I love working out, been doing cross country skiing and swimming for many years, i've been lifting weights recent years. It's one of the funniest things i know, it's like a addiction! I've tried to search a bit here, but i couldn't find much about weight training here.

So i wonder, do you train? what do you train? Lifting weights? How are your routines? Training program?

My program is like this: 6 lifting days and 3 cardio days

I do 4 sets, and i've just started with these reps: 12-10-8-6.

Day one:
Cardio and chest: Cardio: 4x4 minutes intervals.

Chest: Dumbbell press
Incline Dumbbell press
Pullover
Cable-cross flies
Chest dips
Push ups

Day two: Back

Deadlift
Chins/Pullups/hangups (Wide, narrow grip etc, many positions)
Pulldown wide grip
Wide grip rowing
Narrow grip rowing
Dumbbell row

Day three: Legs

Squats
Leg extension
Leg curl
Standing calf raise
Bulgarian split squat

Day four: (usually crossfit) + biceps/triceps

Biceps:

Olympian Style barbell curl
Sitting alternate curl
Preacher curl

Triceps: Overhead triceps extension
Triceps long bar extension
Close grip bench press

Day five: Shoulders

Clean & Snatch
Shoulder press
Lateral raise
Front raise
Reverse flies

Day 6: Running/Skiing/swimming

Day 7: rest

And repeat...

Stomach: No special day for it, i take some stomach exercises when i feel for training stomach, 1-2 times a week. Plank, crunches and situps.

Any comments about this program? Tips? YOUR routines? :)

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Wow!
That takes a lot of dedication. I'm going to take a guess but my guess is that most of the people on this forum are American. For most Americans exercise involves pushing buttons on a remote control :p
Personally, I "exercise" about every other day (4 days a week) and it involves running one mile on a treadmill then riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes (measured to be about four miles on my bike computer). Takes me about 40 minutes total including stretching before and afterwards. Definitely nothing to be impressed about but I'm sure it's more exercise than most people get.
Plus I can totally brag to my friends about not being winded after I climb 5 flights of stairs. :D

herosemblem

Enlightened
I lift weights. Usually ten reps. I usuallly dedicate one day for each muscle group... legs biceps triceps shoulders chest back.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing, that's interesting. I mostly do bodyweight though occasionally I do integrate dumbells for short periods - e.g. if I want to strengthen my biceps though I could do that with bodyweight as well. Aside from that I mostly do push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, squats etc. in many different variations. One of the reason I do bodyweight is that I need very little equipment while for bodyweight I'd have to spend even more time in the gym where I already go for swimming and often even for running.

I also run regularly (2>4 week) and recently took up swimming (1>2 week)after many years away from a swimming pool. I'd love to do cross country skiing or at least snowshoeing, I think they are great physical activities but can only do it a week year as it barely snows where I live at the moment.

I think how we should train pretty much depends on the goals you want to achieve and training should be designed to be functional in relation to those goals. I recently bought a few books on weight training not because I wanted to start doing any but because I was curious on the subject. Somewhat to my surprise there are still conflicting theories and inconclusive research in some respects: for sure the human body is very complex! Whenever I come across a new interesting book on workout/training subject I buy it as it's an extensive subject and I think is always good to explore new way of training. Periodically tweaking our training plans helps us avoid hitting a plateau and also avoid getting bored which I personally consider as important to keep that "addiction" going.

I can't really express an opinion on your training as I'm not an expert and don't even recognize some of the weight exercises you listed :D but it does seem both very balanced and complete alternating muscle groups as well as integrating cardio. Maybe one thing you could do, assuming you don't do it already, is replacing one day of steady-state aerobic activity (e.g. running or swimming) with the high-intensity training (e.g. sprint running, tabata routines etc.). The benefits of high-intensity training have been confirmed by several studies so it's always good to include it in a training plan if you can. Other than that, congratulations for being so determined and training so regularly!

Talking about the addiction, it's time I get my butt off this forum and go do my workout! :eek:

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
To maintain my vigilance in my constant struggle to beat my anorexia:

My nose runs sometimes, I jump to conclusions, my head swims regularly, I lift my spirits and those of others when I can, I work with dumbbells all the time,

So far, I'm kicking my anorexia's ***.

:D

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Other than riding my bike, most of the exercise I get is incidental. One good thing about being carless in NYC is I have little choice about doing shopping errands on foot and lugging back pretty heavy loads. I typically walk at least two miles most days running various errands. I ride my bike at night when I feel like it. The amount varies considerably. The last three months I've barely ridden 200 miles because of the weather and being sick on and off. When I'm on a roll I'll be riding about 5 days a week and doing 400 to 500 miles a month. Last year I logged nearly 4300 miles, my second best annual total ever (best was 5001 miles in 1991). I probably won't ride as much this year given the slow start I've gotten, but hopefully I'll be above 3000 miles. I need aerobic exercise regularly just to keep my energy level "normal". Without it, I'm dragging my behind all the time.

JCD

Enlightened
I ride my bike anywhere I need to go, often with 25-35 pounds of stuff on my back for typical commutes. I get 3000-5000 miles in each year.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
1200 calories a day, black coffee twice daily, no sitting for eight hours. Lost 60 pounds that way.

That's the easy part, now that I'm under 10% body fat, I'll have to start the actual working out soon..

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive have weight trained, actually more like body building, on and off for a little more than the last ten years.
i think routines differ from what you want to accomplish. but i feel as long as the effort is made, its good, whether its for 15 minutes or 2 hours.

i try and mix up my routines. for example, my chest workout one day will consist of benching with the straight bar, the next chest work out ill use dumb bells. then the next, pullies. and ill change up the the weight and intensity. maybe go heavy doing 6-8 reps one day. and the next time go lighter doing 12-15 fast reps.
this way your muscles wont get used to your routine and have to adjust, which i think get better results.

another type of work outs i do are called supersets. for example, doing a set of dumb bell presses, and immediately follow up with flies to burn it out. or doing a set of pull-ups and follow it will rows, or curls. burns alot of calories, and works the muscles to its quitting point.

a workout that i really like are behind the neck military presses with the straight bar. give those a try on your next shoulders day, and feel the burn on your deltoids. =)

your diet and the times you eat are also very important. eat a good breakfast, and eat often so you always have nutrients in your system to continue replenishing your muscles.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
ive have weight trained, actually more like body building, on and off for a little more than the last ten years.

i try and mix up my routines. for example, my chest workout one day will consist of benching with the straight bar, the next chest work out ill use dumb bells.

another type of work outs i do are called supersets. for example, doing a set of dumb bell presses, and immediately follow up with flies to burn it out. or doing a set of pull-ups and follow it will rows, or curls. burns alot of calories, and works the muscles to its quitting point.

a workout that i really like are behind the neck military presses with the straight bar. give those a try on your next shoulders day, and feel the burn on your deltoids. =)

your diet and the times you eat are also very important. eat a good breakfast, and eat often so you always have nutrients in your system to continue replenishing your muscles.

bodybuilding? We need pics! :D

Yes, it's important to mix routines. I have used this program for a few weeks, used another program before that :) i dont do bench press, as dumbbell press give a much better training, and my shoulder hurts a little when benchpressing.

I usually do 3 supersets each training, it's insane! Omg it hurts!
Supersets: flies+decline bench
militarypreess+front raise
leg press+leg extension
chins+rowing

I did behind the necl military presses in the smithmachine, but i heard i shouldnt, because it's a unnormal excercise and can give you injuries, so i quitted. Is this right?

And for diet, i try to eat much meat, eggs, vegetables and drink a lot of milk. And always a protein shake right after excercise :)

Last edited:

Ragnar66

Enlightened
Jujitsu / Muay Thai sparring workout day 1

Heavy bag/speed Bag workout with body weight exercise like pull ups push ups etc day 2

Speed and accuracy drills day 3

Interval bag rounds till you are gonna puke on day 4

repeat........

I eat real food. Nothing else. Vegetables, fruit, fish, meat (as long as it is grass fed animal), nuts, REAL honey. Drink only water and club soda.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 times a week swim training (swim team => competitions on some of the weekends) and running twice a week (6 to 15km, depending on what I want to do).

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
bodybuilding? We need pics! :D

Yes, it's important to mix routines. I have used this program for a few weeks, used another program before that :) i dont do bench press, as dumbbell press give a much better training, and my shoulder hurts a little when benchpressing.

I usually do 3 supersets each training, it's insane! Omg it hurts!
Supersets: flies+decline bench
militarypreess+front raise
leg press+leg extension
chins+rowing

I did behind the necl military presses in the smithmachine, but i heard i shouldnt, because it's a unnormal excercise and can give you injuries, so i quitted. Is this right?

And for diet, i try to eat much meat, eggs, vegetables and drink a lot of milk. And always a protein shake right after excercise :)

lol by body building i mean leaning out and getting more definition. i wasnt going to be competing in any competitions anytime soon. heheh
strength and getting big wasnt too much of a concern for me. i do it for the ladies :)

ive had the same problem with benching the straight bar, certain days my left shoulder gives me problems. so i always do a couple of light warm-up sets.
but i do prefer dumb bell presses more. better work out when done right, and safer too since i rarely have a spotter.

yea, the behind the neck military presses can put alot of stress on certain joints, i use free weights instead of the machine, i feel the movement would be more natural. but it really does differ. for me, sometimes i get discomfort from doing shoulder presses with dumbbells.
my cousin on the other hand cant do the behind the nexk military presses, he says theres too much discomfort on his elbows.
i would suggest going lighter and finding a movement which feels natural. or not do it at all. discomfort and injury could really mess up your routine. while playing basketball, i had severely sprang my thumb, and i couldnt work out for around 2 weeks, it was a bummer!

side laterals are great for delts too, when i do those i would try to grab hold of something stable. and lean about 45 degrees to the side, towards the arm the with dumb bell. this gives me a wider range of motion, raising the dumb bell past the height of my shoulder, and because of the angle, provides a more effective use of gravity.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I see! :D It's all about the ladies.

I couldn't agree more with you. Dumbbell presses are better than benchpress when done right.

Ironically, i just hurted my shoulder like hell, while doing push ups yesterday...I'm having serious problems using my right arm. If this hurts continues, i guess there will be a lot of leg training the next weeks! :D

Side laterals 1+

Paladin

Enlightened
At 57 years old my training initiative has declined. I do a 5 mile walk one day, a 3 mile walk and resistance training the next, and a rest day. Repeat indefinitely. A minimum of 16 miles per week. At 5'10" and 185 lbs. I would like to lose about 10 pounds. Probably won't happen...

Paladin

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Don't do much other than run as much as possible at work and move in a fairly active fashion. Sometimes I'll use some light dumbbells, to 35 reps, 25, 15, and finish at 10. Ride the bike when I'm in the mood, swim underwater as much as possible and walk fairly fast out of habit.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Other than riding my bike, most of the exercise I get is incidental. One good thing about being carless in NYC is I have little choice about doing shopping errands on foot...

I too prefer activity based exercise. Having gone to considerable effort to live in a walkable neighborhood (not easy on the west coast), we walk and cycle to various places. But transportation activities are all leg/lower body, so I needed an upper body activity to go with it. I've been chopping wood to strengthen muscles and (with excursion) cardio. With a heavy axe and 360 degree swing (push down, pull back, lift up, swing over, slam down), just a few dozen swings gives hands/arms/chest/stomach/back/shoulders a solid work out.

harro

Enlightened
I used to cycle on a regular basis, around 300-400 km's ( 180-240 mls ) a week. My biggest ride in one day was an event called "Round the bay in a day", which is once around Port Phillip Bay ( Melbourne/Victoria ) for a distance of 220 km's ( 132 mls ). Now, its a lot more leisurely 100-150 kms a week with my son, and mostly at night so as to make use of some of those flashlights. Actually, my Sunwayman V20C makes a perfect low beam light, with good flood and instantly adjustable brightness, and my high beam is a dedicated ' Zeccon Spyker 1210 ' ( 4 x R5's in individual wells ) with 1150 Lm OTF ( 1600 LED ).

:sweat: