Have it build, or build it yourself?

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Manufacturers and customers sometimes have different ideas about the requirements of lights.

The last few years we came to the conclusion that we need a light that, in some small parts, is not on the market today.
All parts separately are already on the market, but not in 1 light. (things like another mode, or a small ring here and a little hole there)

What would it take to get a manufacturer to build a light to our specific requirements?
Or is it easier to build it yourself, than try to involve the big ones? Quantity possibly about 50.000.

kj2

Flashaholic
Well, if it's a guaranteed order of 50.000 every manufacturer should take a look to it. Specially these days.

Patriot

Flashaholic
If there's one thing I've discovered about gear, and it's no different in the case of flashlights, it's that people like different features and options. Sometimes a general consensus is reached but even in the case of a three mode twisty light, even CPFers are sometimes widely divided as to the sequence and output level. The more factors that are thrown into the mix the more multiplied the opinions become.

With regards to my specific requirements, lights exist right now that come to within a tiny percent of exactly what I'm looking for. The TM26 for example might be close to what I consider a "perfect" sub-compact searchlight. Would I still like it to have XM-L2's, a Fahrenheit readout and individual cell monitoring, sure, but technology is always being weighed against pricing. I've heard many CPFers say they've found their "perfect" light so torch bliss certainly seems attainable on some level.

The third option of course would be to have your light custom built as an option to having a manufacturer do it or try to build it yourself.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Private label lights are NORMAL. I think most of the lights we have from China for example are all made in a few plants, and labeled as ordered for the batches.

If you spec a light, and shop a maker for 50,000 units, I am quite sure you'll get BIDS to do it.

If you want more QA/QC, you could contact one of the forum's custom builders...and let them orchestrate the affair to your plan.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Hi Patriot,

As you probably understand, it is not for myself. (we look at a real large amount of lights.)
Nor is it a flimsy wish, like to have an other color.

The changes are important enough, that the lights will not work the way manufacturers build it now.
So we do NEED that change.
But it will probably need a complete production line to make 50.000 lights or more.
How many lights of 1 type does a manufacturer needs to produce to get a profit?

Strange to have to go that far, to get manufacturers to change some little things to an existing production.
Why is it so difficult to get through to them.

Sorry TEEJ,
I did not see your reply in time.

Last edited:

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Well, if it's a guaranteed order of 50.000 every manufacturer should take a look to it. Specially these days.

I agree. I can't imagine a manufacturer passing up a chance to build a run of 50,000 units.