Surefire fury... Really the best?

Cheeze1617

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking at the surefire fury 500 lumens 12000lux(maybe not sure about lux) and than the eagletac g25c2 mkii 950 lumens 21800 lux. Well I was reading a forum and a couple people said there is nothing brighter in its size than the surefire fury. I'm not trying to bad mouth surefire or talk up eagletac but on paper the eagletac is a good amount brighter due to its lux and plus higher lumen, so my question is am I the ignorant one, or what's going on?

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
I dont have surefire fury but do have g25c2 xml l2 u2 1180 lumen version, and it is bright, i mean bright as hell, i would imagine it is quite a bit brighter than the fury.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Well, I've only owned 2 different Surefires since 1996/1997. My first one was a 9P Incan. I'd bought it for about $70, and just sold it a couple of weeks ago for $60. After trying different switches over the years, I just like the Forward Clicky as my favorite, and the 9P had the tactical/twist style button tail cap. I just got the dual mode SF Fury 2 days ago. I really like it. I just tested mine at one meter and scored 16,600 LUX on the two SF CR123As. I've had many many Chinese made lights in the past 3 yrs or so. I find myself discovering that many of those have inflated numbers even though they claim ANSI FL1 specs; and/or they just fail or break early on. So what I'm doing is transitioning to more American Made/Made in USA products. So for me, I'd rather have something better made and/or better warranty, w/ smaller numbers on paper, than cheaper price w/ bigger numbers. Plus I like how SUREFIRE says SUREFIRE, not SURFIRE. EagleTac seems to drop the LE on many of its lights w/ EAGTAC. So I ask, what's going on?

Last edited:

Cheeze1617

Newly Enlightened
I dont have surefire fury but do have g25c2 xml l2 u2 1180 lumen version, and it is bright, i mean bright as hell, i would imagine it is quite a bit brighter than the fury.
Very nice light but the ANSI rating is more like 980 not 1180 correct?

Cheeze1617

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've only owned 2 different Surefires since 1996/1997. My first one was a 9P Incan. I'd bought it for about $70, and just sold it a couple of weeks ago for $60. After trying different switches over the years, I just like the Forward Clicky as my favorite, and the 9P had the tactical/twist style button tail cap. I just got the dual mode SF Fury 2 days ago. I really like it. I just tested mine at one meter and scored 16,600 LUX on the two SF CR123As. I've had many many Chinese made lights in the past 3 yrs or so. I find myself discovering that many of those have inflated numbers even though they claim ANSI FL1 specs; and/or they just fail or break early on. So what I'm doing is transitioning to more American Made/Made in USA products. So for me, I'd rather have something better made and/or better warranty, w/ smaller numbers on paper, than cheaper price w/ bigger numbers. Plus I like how SUREFIRE says SUREFIRE, not SURFIRE. EagleTac seems to drop the L on many of its lights w/ EAGTAC. So I ask, what's going on?
Maybe they are fakes? Is it like that on the eagletac site?

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've only owned 2 different Surefires since 1996/1997. My first one was a 9P Incan. I'd bought it for about $70, and just sold it a couple of weeks ago for $60. After trying different switches over the years, I just like the Forward Clicky as my favorite, and the 9P had the tactical/twist style button tail cap. I just got the dual mode SF Fury 2 days ago. I really like it. I just tested mine at one meter and scored 16,600 LUX on the two SF CR123As. I've had many many Chinese made lights in the past 3 yrs or so. I find myself discovering that many of those have inflated numbers even though they claim ANSI FL1 specs; and/or they just fail or break early on. So what I'm doing is transitioning to more American Made/Made in USA products. So for me, I'd rather have something better made and/or better warranty, w/ smaller numbers on paper, than cheaper price w/ bigger numbers. Plus I like how SUREFIRE says SUREFIRE, not SURFIRE. EagleTac seems to drop the L on many of its lights w/ EAGTAC. So I ask, what's going on?

Im all about american made and american labour. I am a proud union member and all for american jobs, that being said, if surefire would just make a damn light that takes 18650, id buy them exclusively. BTW, Eagletac is based out of Blaine , Wa, not too far from me.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
So I'm looking at the surefire fury 500 lumens 12000lux(maybe not sure about lux) and than the eagletac g25c2 mkii 950 lumens 21800 lux. Well I was reading a forum and a couple people said there is nothing brighter in its size than the surefire fury. I'm not trying to bad mouth surefire or talk up eagletac but on paper the eagletac is a good amount brighter due to its lux and plus higher lumen, so my question is am I the ignorant one, or what's going on?

There's plenty brighter than the SF Fury in that size...about every single 18650 or 2x RCR123 light for example is brighter than the Fury.

I like my Fury, but my Klarus XT11 is brighter than it with a single 18650, and a LOT brighter than it with two IMR6340's...and the XT11 uses old creamy white T6 XML's, not even the newer brighter U3 XML2's, etc.

So, instead of the Fury being the brightest for its size, its not even brighter than ANY of the newer U3 ones in that size range, and its even dimmer than some older T6 lights in that size too.

And, those Eagletacs list both the LED/Emitter lumens, and the ANSI lumens...but I see a lot of references in the thread to the LED lumens, but, the new stuff can still kick the Fury's lumen-***.

:D

So, now you also know who at the other forum, who's telling you that the Fury is the brightest, is probably not a reliable source...and to now take everything they say with a grain of salt, etc.

On the flip side, the Fury is very well made, I've never had a hiccup from mine, the beam shape is pretty good even if the lumens are shy of a full load, a decent somewhat floody beam, useful, etc. The tint is not great, as they tend to go to the green end of things to maximize lumen out put, ironically.

Also - By MAKING a light dimmer on purpose, it also allows a longer run time, and can avoid needing a step down...as its essentially ALREADY stepped down, etc.

Lumens are not EVERYTHING...they are part of everything.

Last edited:

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pointing that out, it doesn't bug me but interesting. I never noticed.

Yeah i think the word "eagletac" is probably too long to print on a limited body space.

u4ygyveq.jpg

Cheeze1617

Newly Enlightened
There's plenty brighter than the SF Fury in that size...about every single 18650 or 2x RCR123 light for example is brighter than the Fury.

I like my Fury, but my Klarus XT11 is brighter than it with a single 18650, and a LOT brighter than it with two IMR6340's...and the XT11 uses old creamy white T6 XML's, not even the newer brighter U3 XML2's, etc.

So, instead of the Fury being the brightest for its size, its not even brighter than ANY of the newer U3 ones in that size range, and its even dimmer than some older T6 lights in that size too.

And, those Eagletacs list both the LED/Emitter lumens, and the ANSI lumens...but I see a lot of references in the thread to the LED lumens, but, the new stuff can still kick the Fury's lumen-***.

so what's you opinion on eagletac flashlight? Good bad? Based on quality.

Cheeze1617

Newly Enlightened
Im all about american made and american labour. I am a proud union member and all for american jobs, that being said, if surefire would just make a damn light that takes 18650, id buy them exclusively. BTW, Eagletac is based out of Blaine , Wa, not too far from me.
So you talk about American made, so eagletac is based in the us, but where are they made? China?

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
Does the mean bad news for the quality of the light?

I dont think so, i have a plethora Chinese made light from major names, they all are very good quality.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that if the product is made in China than its somehow of a subpar quality. Apple for instance, manufactures everything an China, and their products are high quality with few cases here and there.

Thats just one example.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I heard the Fury is not made in USA now anymore...?

Most lights now a days are either made in China or use parts not from the USA, etc.

Eagtac (yeah, a smaller font was vetoed?) seems well made, but I don't have a lot of them to really know first hand. ZebraLight is another one, they moved to TX, Armytec is Canadian last time I looked, etc....but I think the lights are all, so far, from China.

There ARE some very old, original USA light makers...but, unfortunately, most of them don't make high performance lights. Bright Star for example has been making flashlights since ~ 1909 or so...in PA. Maglights were all made here until recently, now much of that is outsourced too, and so forth.

koala3

Newly Enlightened
To answer it with a different light compared to a Fury, my EagleTac TX25C2 was about even if not just slightly better off than the Fury on med and no contest with mine on high. I also have a neutral tint older model XM-L rather than XM-L2.