What is the highest safe voltage of the M@g Mini 2cell globe LM2A001

Freax

Banned
I did a search and couldn't find it anywhere.

Is there a reliable figure for the maximum voltage which the LM2A801 globe can handle aka the M@glite Mini 2AA?

I'm intending on using NiZn batteries with a 2AA mini m@g and wondering if I need to put in a resistor into the tailcap or top switch inorder to drop the voltage.

I would like to be able to put the batteries directly into the torch hot off the charger, a real turnkey solution.

I would test myself but I don't have any globes left.

zylardf.jpg

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
2xNiZn AA batteries won't flash you Mini Mag.

I've tried it before and it works although I can't make a definitive statement on bulb life with the increased voltage.
Does LuxLuthor have a destructive incan test for the Mini Mag bulb? ....wait never mind :laughing:

Also, I believe adding a resistor would decrease the current but the voltage would remain unchanged ... Ohm's law.

Freax

Banned
Sweet, thanks for that info, I was a little worried and yeah LuxLuthor doesn't afaik :p

Might be something I can try out myself and post the data, but I don't have a readily available source for 3.0v variable power supply available at the moment, in future I might.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i simply believe (no, I - for me - am convinced) that it makes no sense any more to fight around with bulbs in that output class,
get f.e. a Fenix L01 and be better off in every respect.

save the cost for the bulbs, even when You increase bulb life somehow

Freax

Banned
I already own several LED torches and I hate every single one of them, or more rather I put up with them.

Due to a degenerative disorder my eyesight is pretty picky about what I use, the ROP is almost perfect, that white colour temperature is really easy on my eyes, but the maintenance for batteries is pretty damn high, making out objects in the sunlight is difficult enough, under LED due to the shift in colour its even more difficult.

With LED I shine on the torch and look around and my brain doesn't identify with them, it makes finding objects difficult because my memory of what an object looks like is associated with the color of it aswell as the shape, so by using incandescent I'm able to more quickly identify it because it very closely or perfectly matches the daytime color temperature of the object, it also makes identifying poisonious or rash producing plants quite easy which I walk in quite often when I go walking and camping.

Thats where the mini mag comes in, I want a good low maintenance throw around torch again, not all of this bullshit of having to deal with different batteries/different chargers/torches.

I also question the value of a bright strong LED light in a combat/tactical situation, if I'm knocking someones block off I'm not going to be very useful if I'm blind in the dark when the battery suddenly cuts out or due to the lag associated with moving from a bright room to a pitch black one when your eyes need time to readjust, imagine trying to change batteries in that situation, or even just trying to find a second torch, at least NiZn+NiMH+Alkaline's slow rolloff gives you time to find the next battery, or if in an emergency find something I need quicker.

When a torch doesn't have enough flood but has a really hot spot, that too pisses me off, when in a corridor you then cannot see perps who run towards you from a side door if all you are concentrating on is the hotspot area. The WF-501B fixes that, it has plenty of flood, but the light is too damn harsh, it ruins my night vision, the Surefire G2 is even better which is what I should've bought in the first place.

When I am fatigued, incandescent doesn't give me a headache, but LED does, thats really important when you think about it, if your mind is clouded due to a headache when you are exhausted how are you going to think? Incandescent extends the time that I'm capable of making descisions, battery runtime is a non issue for me, that tiny little globe lasts for ages on 2xAA's and I carry around a replacement pair.

In saying that I believe in an atomic war occuring at some point in my lifetime. The chargers can be rather easily protected against EMP, the torches and batteries cannot, hence the move towards NiZn, NiMH and Alkaline and a move away from 18650/14500 Protected cells.

And when I'm scoping out UFO's? Everyone knows they have the power to control complex machines, but so far I've been lucky with incandescent, its always worked, when you read reports of UFO abductions they will detail how the flashlight is one of the first things to die, I might very well be the first person to field test the NiZn battery in the field in and amongst UFO's.

Enjoy LED lighting, I'm rather strangely getting out of them.

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Phew!

What a post! Can you believe I read through the whole thing?

Here are some other suggestions I have if you're a lover of incan:

1.Get a P60 host - I recommend a Solarforce L2 (beause it's cheap and can take 18650s).
2.Use 1x18650 and a Surefire P60 incan drop-in (doesn't have to be a SF P60 it could be a generic 6V incan drop-in).
3.Enjoy! The voltage is a bit lower than normal but you'll definitely get more output than a standard Mini-mag plus you get a nice beam pattern because of the textured reflector (I believe a Mini-Mag has around 10-15 lumens of output a P60 w/18650 might be 40-50 lumens).

OR.....

1A. Get the same L2 body but use 2x16340 with a P90 drop-in (YOU CANNOT USE 2x16340 with the P60 - guaranteed flash).
1B. Get a 2x18650 body and use the P90 drop-in (you could use the same head and tailcap and just swap out the body and drop-in for increased versatility)
2. Both of these two step ups with probably get you around 90-100 lumens of output. The 2x18650 is longer but will give you significantly more runtime.

JCD

Enlightened
i simply believe (no, I - for me - am convinced) that it makes no sense any more to fight around with bulbs in that output class,
get f.e. a Fenix L01 and be better off in every respect.

save the cost for the bulbs, even when You increase bulb life somehow

I'm not sure the Fenix would be better in any respect, except runtime.

Mag's build quality is at least as good as Fenix's. I've owned two Fenix lights, neither of which was/is particularly well built.

Mag's warranty and customer service is superior to Fenix's. The longest I've ever had to wait for a Maglite warranty replacement was however long it took the clerk at the dealer to wait on the people ahead of us in line, maybe five or ten minutes. I recently read a thread on CPF in which a Fenix owner was rather pleased that it only took Fenix about three weeks to replace a defective head on their light. Three weeks? That's barely better than no warranty at all.

Most importantly, an incan Mag mini produces a higher quality light than a Fenix. LEDs may someday catch up to incans with respect to light quality, but that day is not today. People don't continue to use incans because they haven't tried high quality LEDs; they continue to use incans because they have.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I am fatigued, incandescent doesn't give me a headache, but LED does,
My understanding is that you are looking for an incand light using AAs and little brighter than standard Mini M*g 2AA
What about Twin Task 3AA Streamlight? It's brighter, can be used with 3 Eneloops, reliable, inexpensive and can be switched to LED when batteries are too weak for incan.
My other suggestion is custom flashlight that can be used with 3 rechargeable AAs and Strion/Stinger bulb.

JCD

Enlightened
My understanding is that you are looking for an incand light using AAs and little brighter than standard Mini M*g 2AA
What about Twin Task 3AA Streamlight? It's brighter, can be used with 3 Eneloops, reliable, inexpensive and can be switched to LED when batteries are too weak for incan.
My other suggestion is custom flashlight that can be used with 3 rechargeable AAs and Strion/Stinger bulb.

I have a Streamlight Night Com, which is a very similar light (the LEDs are colored instead of white, among other minor differences), and like it very much. Aside from the lights that get bike light duty, the Night Com is my most frequently used flashlight.

Freax

Banned
Thanks guys but I'm going to stay away from lithium ion.

The batteries when protected are not emp proof due to the protection circuit inside of them.

Thats the main reason why I'm staying away from them.

I could use unprotected cells but I don't like the idea one bit and the mini mag with a stock globe is doing me fine for now.

Nevermind, found one that accepts 12v DC: http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/prod...CM410-Intelligent-NiZn-Battery-Charger-AA-AAA

What I could do with really is a NiZn charger that can charge the batteries from a portable fold up solar panel, 12v is available if I buy a 12v solar panel....

Would be awesome if you guys could point me to one that accepts a 12v input, I've searched and searched and all of them so far only accept 110-240v input.

Last edited:

Freax

Banned

Perfect, this is just what I am looking for!, the me who posted last time apparently completely skimmed over the "with 3 eneloops" and assumed that it took 14500's haha.

Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008VE4K/?tag=cpf0b6-20

For now tho I've got a stock 1980s Mini M*g 2AA that I've spent all day sanding out with 1200 grit so that it can fit slightly thicker 2x NiZn batteries, and it works brilliantly and gives off a nice white light, This is my main everyday torch now, the step up from NiMH Ene to NiZn is quite nice I think.

I've also bought a M*g 2C, the idea is to use eneloop AA to C spacers with 2x 14500 cells (& 26500's) and a nice little G4 6v bulb :)

Lightweight & Compact, out-in-the-field-recharging, the C can go to its stock form rather quickly and easily, or can turn into a little beast. :D

I'm a bit disappointed in there not being more 14500 + 2AA Mini mods going around, because of a lack of reflectors and hi-temp sockets.

I thought that it would be rather easy to get a G4 to PR socket adapter and make up a thread with a nut ontop, then put the thread in down the tube of the 2AA Mini and then put your G4 to PR socket adapter in and screw the nut down onto the thread.

Then the center pin of the G4 to PR socket adapter is contacting the positive terminal of the AA battery.

You won't get twist switching capability but you should theoretically get a small G4 bulb into a 2AA Mini, assuming it will fit...

Then it is a simple matter of polishing the Mini head to a mirror finish (when using 2x borofloat lenses, to make up for spacing issues) or a reflector + borofloat lens. to reflect some of that light out the front.

Last edited:

Freax

Banned
Damn, I just had an according to the packet a "premature burnout" of a Xenon bulb (2012, Made in Germany, LM2A001) after using it for the day on NiZN's

Cell #1 was 1.698v
Cell #2 was 1.708v
= 3.406v

I think I used it for about an hour, it could have flashed due to movement as I was sitting down when I turned it on.

Just replaced the bulb and am gonna give them (the NiZn batteries) another shot.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i figured that was gonna happen.
minimag bulbs are already pushed to the limit.often blackened after 1 charge on 2300mah nimh.
no room to push them.

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
The new maglite C&D bipin bulbs can be fit into a minimag; these have a much improved life and draw more juice too. I have put about a dozen cycles through my mini with NIMH and not even any visible blackening.
Drill the reflector hole a little larger, then bend the bulb's legs so that it looks bow-legged.

Frosting the sides of the bulb with 400 grit sandpaper is a nice touch of smoothness.

Freax

Banned
This is a real nice mod, thanks for sharing it :)

Whats the word on the life of the plastic lens and reflector with this mod too? I just did it to mine and its getting pretty warm.

I need at least 30 mins of uninterrupted on time, for roadside repairs.

I'll buy some additional reflectors and some bipin 2C bulbs.

Last edited:

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
Well I've accidentally tested the reflector's endurance a couple times when it has come on in my belt sheath. 100 - 0% discharge and no damage... it draws about .9amps, while the newest minimag bulbs are drawing about .75, and the old ones .5, so we're not pushing things too much.

As for the cells,
At (3.4v / 2.8v)x100 = 121% of the voltage this might work out, but any of these xenon sub 25 hour bulbs are less favorable towards overdrive than krypton or halogen, especially longer life bulbs.
From what I recall reading, NiZn cells are best suited to use in bursts. I'm not sure if the sag would make it unusable though.
I guess what I'm saying is that NiMH is a proven route, but if you don't mind poofing bulbs for science then it would be interesting to try.

Good luck!

Freax

Banned
Well I've accidentally tested the reflector's endurance a couple times when it has come on in my belt sheath. 100 - 0% discharge and no damage... it draws about .9amps, while the newest minimag bulbs are drawing about .75, and the old ones .5, so we're not pushing things too much.

Mhmm. You might want to try scraping some graphite from a carpenters pencil into the twist switch threads of the mini mag, to thicken up the action to the point that it feels like 20w50 oil I have on mine and its made it feel like a million bucks.

As for the cells,
At (3.4v / 2.8v)x100 = 121% of the voltage this might work out, but any of these xenon sub 25 hour bulbs are less favorable towards overdrive than krypton or halogen, especially longer life bulbs.

From what I recall reading, NiZn cells are best suited to use in bursts. I'm not sure if the sag would make it unusable though.
I guess what I'm saying is that NiMH is a proven route, but if you don't mind poofing bulbs for science then it would be interesting to try.

These are actually kinda like a miracle battery, these are brand new manufacture NiZn cells, labelled capacity of 2500mWh (NOT! mAh!) by Powergenix. They state right on the label that they are for high drain applications but in all actuality these do provide a long period of runtime for the standard mini mag globe.

They certianly do put out a lot more light with the 2C bipin bulb in a minimag compared to C Alkalines :)

I put a couple of NiZn cells in yesterday that came straight from the factory, so who knows how long its been since they were last charged into my mini mag and they are still going strong after a day, whereas I would expect Alkaline to have started to quit by now, ie starting to yellow, but these ones show a fairly bright white light still, yes they do have a slight tint of yellow but thats only visible during daylight, at night time the color temperature goes back to white due to some trickery of my eyes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, with my limited observation to me they have a battery life expectancy at low draw rates better than Alkaline and almost comparable to NiMH, and with the white brightness of fresh Alkalines for a much longer period. and frankly isn't that what matters, the end user experience?

What I might do is compare 2x 2000mAh Eneloops (Made in Japan) with a couple of these freshly charged NiZn cells, do voltage readings over a period of a week and also do runtime tests, with two identical mini maglites with identical globes, taking one beamshot each day, it would be exceptionally boring reading but it would prove without a doubt what is going on.

I've gotta wait for a second mini mag reflector to arrive tho before I can start.

g4N2DP1.jpg

Daylight shots: (Control)
NlSAkWF.jpg

Mini + Standard globe + 1 1/2 day old NiZn's:
DWle9cB.jpg

Last edited:

darkangel55555

Newly Enlightened
Not to throw a spanner in, but have you thought about using a Surefire A2 Aviator? Unlike the Minimag the beam is incredibly smooth and consistent, and being regulated you always have just the right voltage without risking burning out the lamp assembly.

They're not quite as cheap to buy, but certainly they'll last, and I personally enjoy the fact that they're prefocused and I can't mess it up the way I often did with my Aurora Minimag.

Being regulated, they're compatible with everything from two CR123A primaries (~5v under load) to LiFePO4 (~6.5v under load) to LiCo RCR123As (~8v under load). The LEDs may burn out, but aftermarket rings (with better colour rendition, I might add) are readily available through the modders on CPF.

LiFePO4 and IMR cells have negligible risk under charge, unlike LiCo and LiPo (which I believe you mentioned having reservations toward). LiFe cells may be compatible with your solar charger, should you wish to experiment. I have, in foolishness and negligence brought LiFePO4 (hereafter LiFe) cells to under 2v each, and they've revived just fine once put on an appropriate charger. IMR bounce back from under 3v, but I've found sub-2v to be the death of them. Obviously this is undue wear and tear, and not recommended, but I'm highlighting how durable they are as a chemistry. I believe LiFe cells can live as many cycles as NiMH, which may be a factor for consideration for you. Cost of purchase is approximately equivalent.

To date I am unaware of any aftermarket AA bodies for the A2 platform.