Presenting -- The MGI

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
WIth all this talk of running three N cells (cheap little alkaline batteries available at Wal-Mart and most everywhere else, that look like short AAA's that still put out 1.5V each) in a 2AA body, I finally did this in a Brinkmann 2AA except I used a quality super-white Q3J HD and Fraen Low Profile optic. The result was a medium length LGI-style light with nearly the same power -- hey, the MGI (Medium Gun Illuminator) is born!

In these pictures you can see the MGI opened up:

MGI%20Open.jpg

MGI%20Long%20Open.jpg

Here it is lined up with a couple of other fairly well-known lights, the SureFire L4 and Baby Pin:

MGI%20Line.jpg

Beam shots in the same order, first from about four feet:

MGI%20Beam%20Near.jpg

You can see that the Baby Pin puts out slightly more light, although both are obviously brighter than the 5W SureFire.

Here are the same trio's beams on my speckled ceiling from 20 feet below:

MGI%20Beam%20Far.jpg

At distance the MGI starts to match the Baby Pin's output, although they both maintain the same brightness advantage over the L4.

And finally, the MGI's lux reading:

MGI%20Lux.jpg

So it approaches the original full-length LGI's output but in a smaller package. Given the handier and more pocketable size, without any delicate circuitry inside and much less to go wrong, the MGI turns out to be a pretty nice mod indeed.

Since it rivals the performance of today's complex $100-plus Flashoholic specialty mods, if I were to build them for sale they would probably go for like $48 shipped. With an 1/8th-inch thick copper heatsink and lockout clickie tailswitch included, what else do you need?

It's time to get back to basics. We're building flashlights, not refrigerators.

As the Mexican Bandito would say, "Circus? We dawn nee' no steenkin' circus!"

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha! I see the elves have been up to something! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paypal ready, if you want to part with it.

BC

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Naw, $48 is too - much. Make it $45...

I'll contact you guys for Paypal when I have them cooked up.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY nice, I like it.

I've got one of those Q3J's and a Fraen LP or two around here somewhere, but I'm putting it in a McLux head. Maybe DD would be the way to go on it?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the runtime won´t be as nice though - the "N"s are quite low on capacity - just 1/2 to 2/3 of AAAs IMO - correction - I looked it up - 1000ma - so its not that bad.

Maybe Bernhard knows the runtime of the 3N LS from LEDLenser which should be similar - make that not - they probably don´t do DD but resistor down somewhat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any runtime data ? I suspect mucho shorter runtime / brightness graph compared to a traditional 3AA solution - so I might raise the question if the gain in shortness of approx 1/3 of the body is worth the probably much greater loss in runtime and brightness.

Klaus

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Interesting idea and I may actually check into that one day when I have absolutely nothing else to do like after I retire, simply because I have discovered that in real life nobody turns on a flashlight and leaves it on, coming back every once in awhile to see how long it lasts!

But here's the scoop for those with more time on their hands: after five-plus hours the original LGI was still producing MORE LIGHT than a 3-Nichia duty LED mounted on my ASP expandable police baton, so even if the MGI were to last only half as long (it should easily better that), this would translate to many days or even weeks of real-world run time, depending upon the rate of actual usage. And also given that LEDs in direct drive systems tend to become more efficient as the batteries are expended, they eventually settle into a "dusk mode" that has lasted so long in prior run time tests, that I finally got tired after a few days and simply turned the dang lights off!

As well I am seeing that most modders (I present McGizmo as one notable example) are no longer even addressing the non-issue of run time as it is a ludicrous assumption that short of a flashbulb, the vast majority of actual usage would involve turning lights on and leaving them on until they expire. We do have lives, and a great part of them are in fact already rather enjoyably spent shining one's lights at blank white walls!

This is my last (non-)acknowledgement of run times, unless I start makin' flashbulbs...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Klaus, I do not know, sorry. Have never opened one, maybe they are resistored, don't know what bin they are using and *maybe* they use this other 350mA LED that was shown here a time ago, they never really mentioned LSs, just "Power Chips" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:Naw, $48 is too - much. Make it $45...I'll contact you guys for Paypal when I have them cooked up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Charlie, make sure that your new creation gets the Luxeon 3 Watt and I'll definitely go for one too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

p.s.-since that Brinkmann is an AA flashlight (right?), an excellent battery alternative is the 600mA NiMH 2/3AA x 3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
vcal -- although the cost is about the same as the Q3Js, the SWAKs may not see any improvement driven this -- softly (by MR Bulk standards)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, are NiMh 2/3s Actually 2/3rds the length of an AA? I thought it was more like NiMH 1/2 AAs that were that length? I'm not into rechargeables so wouldn't know for sure, maybe somebody can chime in here...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Also, are NiMh 2/3s Actually 2/3rds the length of an AA? I thought it was more like NiMH 1/2 AAs that were that length? I'm not into rechargeables so wouldn't know for sure, maybe somebody can chime in here...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I use 'em all the time.
Actually 3 of the 2/3AA lengthwise will be 3/8" shorter than 2 AA end-to end.
So, with a 3/8" spacer added, they work just great in a 2AA barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, the 2/3 AA NiMH are relatively easy to find on the web.

p.s.-the reason I asked is because the 3.6V total from the 3 NIMH is shoving that Luxeon at least 800mA+ -which much more closely matches the real design specs of the 3 watt, rather than the 1 watt..-especially from a longevity point of view..........

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
remember the Super Baby Pin, remember the Super Baby Pin, remember the Super Baby Pin, remember the Super Baby Pin, remember the Super Baby Pin, remember the Super Baby Pin, remember the Super Baby Pin, remember the Super Baby Pin,