The NLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
When the mcropuck kits arrived on the scene almost a year ago, I tried one on an N cell and got an absurdly long burn time. Definate keychain LS potential! I got sidetraked on other projects before getting around to making one. When ARCmania's Micro Convertor became available, it was time for a new project. I ordered one from the Sandwich Shoppe, and Wayne delivered it in person at the Sequoia get-to-gether. (Damn, those things are small!)

The next step was to design a flashlight around it, starting with a micro can to contain it and provide a heatsink/ground connection. A reflectored-design would have been simpler, but I couldn't come up with an effective one for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Best I could do was
turned-down and shortened NX-05's. I turned them to .435" diameter and shortened them to .250". (At abt .240" the internal ball lens falls out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .) I ripped-off Peter Gransee's split ring attachment design for the Arc AA so as to provide a "candle mode" capability. I was fortunate to find some 11.5mm watch crystals to use as lenses. Then I had to find a way to glue them in- big mistake.( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif )

site1006.jpg

LtoR: Brass split ring, case, anti-rattle silicone foam
rubber washer, module, head O-ring, head, optic, and
lens.

I'm not all that happy with the way they turned out. I tried both Energizer and Duracell in the prototype, but later "bunnies" are a no go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . The (new) anodizer didn't comprende "olive drab," and my rack leaked and almost ruined all the heads. (Fortunately, Sharpie makes a green one that was fairly close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The lens bonding was a near disaster The only thing that is right is the form factor: 1/2" diameter X 2" long. (That's a full 3/4" shorter than my AAA!) I'll leave beamshots/run times and other criticisms to others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will revisit the design some day. Increasing the diameter to 17/32"/.532" will permit upping the thread size to 1/2-32 and provide a lot more thread engagement as well as room for all N's. I will also retain the lens with a screw-on bezel. Meanwhile, the one in my pocket is going to stay there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again, Larry raises the bar...just when you thought he's outdone himself, there he goes again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Yet another LarryLight(tm) for us CPF'ers to lust after.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What kakster said. +

I was fortunate in doing some horse trading with Larry and I finally got my own Larry Light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Before going further, I do need to point out that Larry *is* anal. His goal of perfection keeps him from enjoying the fruits of his labor to the extent that he deservedly should. I have my own Arc AAA LS mod that had been on my key ring. It is now out of circulation having been replaced by a smaller and nicer light. This NLS is really a gem! Thanks Larry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can only find one fault with this light; that would be its limited production status. My hat is off to both ArcMania and Larry for being able to work wonders in these small architectures!

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Larry,

I am glad you put something up first before me, those in-production pics with all those parts is invaluable.

I will try to post my own little "review" later, putting the NLS up against at least a half-dozen (maybe more) other little lights of the same size (actually all the others are way bigger!).

Thanks again!

jtice

Flashaholic
wOW, SIMPLY AMAZING.
You have done it again Larry.
Very nice work!!!

Which leads me to the questions....
Are these going for sale soon?
Are any of you other green Larry lights avalible?
I really dont like the N cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif HELL to find.
But your original Larry light was AMAZING.

Anyone want to get rid of one for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks kakster.
Thanks Don (At least you left out the retentive part this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks Charlie.
Thanks jtice. Sale? You know me- gave 'em all away except for 2. One of them will probably see the auction.

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice larry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Wait-My Turn. Larry-You made one helluva light there buddy./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Yep-I am very fortunate to have gotten one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Larry hinted that if I were to scrounge-up some innards that I may just get lucky if his run yielded some usable components. Well that is all I needed to hear, since I had seen a Larry Light in action up at Sequoia and was really hoping to be able to get one someday-somehow.
So I pulled in a few favors and sent some flashlight guts to Larry with my fingers crossed. Well the NLS is my new Neck Lanyard EDC. What an amazing illumination tool. I just can't get over the throw this little gem provides-and white as white can be too. Wow. I agree with Don's assesment of Larry's skills. It is equal to the best factory made lights and better than most quality-wise. As an innovation-well; it can't be beaten as of this writing. I want to comment on a few details:

1)The emerald green finish is Bitchin'-period.

2)The knurling is just right. It is more aggressive than the ARC style knurling and less so than the new SF's. Just right IMHO. Perfect.

3)The size is perfect for keychain or neck lanyard carry. In fact-I was moved to assemble a new lanyard with special brass and gold appointments and a high-end swivel just to host this remarkable light.

Thanks Larry-I'll be packing the NLS 24/7
clap.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

I really dont like the N cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif HELL to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an easy time finding them at any radioshack. Last time I was there it was buy one pack get one free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Once again, Larry raises the bar...just when you thought he's outdone himself, there he goes again

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously! Great job Larry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks Roth, A6, and The Chief. For the real perspective:
site1008.JPG

It's smaller in diameter and a tiny bit longer than an AA.

Larry

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an easy time finding them at any radioshack. Last time I was there it was buy one pack get one free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For grins I tried the RadioShack N in the NLS and it would not light. Very snug fit and then too short. The Factory supplied Battery works good though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Hey Larry,

I know you are probably a very busy man... but...

Have you ever though of making a 123 batt version of your cr2 light?

I LOOOOOVE the look of it. The knurling is perfect, and that copper (?) ring is a GREAT accent. It goes wonderfully with the green HA.

I would be VERY interested in a 123 version of it.

Jason Burns

Newly Enlightened
MAN! I sure hope you produce these puppies. They are just what I have been hoping will come out. I don't mind using N-cells. I have Lambda's nano-mate that uses N's but a custom light would do away with the bugs associated with modding an existing light.
PLEASE say you're gonna make these available!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.