Sipik SK68 zoom light mods

Tiresius

Enlightened
You'd end up with a smaller and tighter hotspot. You do lose a lot of brightness for the flood mode though. Without LRT, there isn't a HUGE improvement in the throw.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dedomed mine. Tighter spot, and more neutral tinted beam. Had to refocus the asperics with a simple o-ring as a spacer for perfect focus on the dedomed led surface. I dont know how many lux it got, but it outthrows my hound dog xm-l :)

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
I welcome this discussion thread. I hope others will contribute.

I my opinion, the SK68 and its many clones are excellent little flashlights for their price, but perhaps their biggest weakness is the many "halos" etc. that are associated with the low cost lens. (This appears to be a "hit-or-miss" kind of thing, and varies considerably from light to light.)

I do not know much about how to do any kind of mod, but I would welcome any and all information about how to improve the "visual quality" of the optical output from these Sipik type lights.

Last edited:

mccririck

Enlightened
Using a 14500 cell in the sk68 makes the beam quality appear better as the inconsistencies in the beam are not as apparant when the light intensity is higher.

mesa232323

Enlightened
After de-doming, the rings and artifacts started to appear pretty bad. I did notice a tint change and I feel that it doesn't throw any better. I liked the light better in stock form. Maybe I dedomed it incorrectly.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swapped the led to a xp-e and dedomed it. Looks way better than the dedomed stock xr-e. Really tight and bright with less "funk" in the beam. Im really enjoying the dedomed xp-e. Seems alot brighter than the de domed xr-e. I think the old stock xr-e might be a Q3, and the xp-e i put in might be a R2. Im using a 14500. Tint gets better, and its way brighter than with a aa. I got my sipik68 for free with a used MBI HF i bought on the mp. I have played with the sipik more than i have with the HF. The HF is great, but the free sipik68 is more fun :)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my Sipik on the way with a new driver, new glass lens, and a custom mounted 219 on a thick copper board. My design is for mounting on my fire helmet for testing training only until I am able to determine it is a reliable and safe enough light. Everything about its design meets my needs, and now the output and components will too. Just waiting to see what mods for quality and reliability I need for the host it's self.

I was going to put an xpe in and de-dome it but I couldn't find a nice enough tint with good output without spending $20 including shipping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont mind the tint. It will change to more neutral tint when dedomed.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good point. I do like the tint of my dedomed lights. I just have to ensure that it ends up warm enough or it will reflect too much back at me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Anyone know of a sipik or clone with proper buck-boost or do they all pretty much do direct drive on freshly-charged 14500s? I'm curious as to how "long-term" they are at the higher voltages.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah,ok. Have dedomed a warm xp-g in a quark turbo once. The tint got awful, way too warm and it got really ugly.. the normal cool whites seems to shift to neutral tint when dedomed. So i guess the neutral will shift towards warm. Have not dedomed a neutral xp-g yet.

Last edited: