Predator owners... Is it OK for general use?

benhar

Newly Enlightened
Is the Predator too throwy for general use? I really like the programmable UI and brightness level versatility, but if I'm honest I'll only occasionally need throw farther than 100 yards (fun factor aside). So I want to make sure the hotspot isn't so tight that it's impractical around the house or taking the dog out at night.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO if you're looking for a general use light (and want to go with Armytek). Although I don't have one, and if I was. I'd go with one of Viking v2.5 XM-L L2 for the wider beam profile.

The narrower beam profiles of the Perdator v2.5 XP-G2 are great if you know what your lighting up, as well as if you're in an area with a lot of stuff floating in the air (trying to light something up at a distance) you don't have the glare reflecting back at you from all the particles in the air.

For example, if I was needing a 100 yard light. I'd carry my OEM Fury with an XM-L in it. However, if I need to light up a specific target, e.g. a gate at a distance of a 150 plus yards. I'd go with my modded Fury with an XP-G2.

I recently ordered an Armytek Predator Pro v2.5 XP-G2 (cool white) to give me more distance then the smaller reflector Fury with the XP-G2.

In this case, Larger beam profiles with light up a larger area (larger hot spot more usable spill), thus less panning / sweeping involved, but less distance imo. Smaller beam profiles will give you a better distance (tighter hot spot less usable spill), but at close range (100 plus yards or so) you'll find yourself having move the light around to see stuff.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to get at (These photos are from my Fury with an XM-L and a emitter swapped Fury with an XP-G2 in it);

Note: As you can see my photo taking skills aren't the best, but it should give you an idea. Both photo distances are approx 35 yards to the fence line (or to the shrubs), and approx 60 yards plus to the far wall.

OEM XM-L Fury;

Emitter swap XP-G2 Fury;

Not sure about posting a link to threads in the LED Flashlight sub forum, but check out gopajti's threads on the Armyted lights. He's posted a few beam profile shots in them.

Now, what was the question again? .... :thinking:

Last edited:

A10K

Newly Enlightened
I have a Predator, and while the spill can be a bit too tight for work lighting, for most tasks I find it phenomenally useful because you can get away with using only very low modes. The throw even on the 1.5 lumen firefly mode is capable of lighting up across a dark room at night, for getting around. For outdoors, its got a good amount of spill, so its not just a hotspot without any additional light (40 degrees spill is what is quoted by Armytek). I've found good results by not running it on the highest modes, since the hotspot can be overly intense at close distances. On 25%-50% modes, the balance between hotspot and spill is much more even.

The Viking is the equivalent but with an XM-L--its somewhat wider, so if you want to do a lot of close-up work, it might be a better alternative.

benhar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help. Coincidentally gopajti's pictures are what got me thinking about this. Unfortunately I'm not trying to fill any specific need, other than scratching the itch of wanting a new toy :) I think the Viking might more useful, but then again the extra distance on the Predator gives more functional separation from my G25C2. And i do see where the beam could be useful, especially when trying to shine light inside a narrow space. But then yet again, the Viking might be more appropriate for bump in the night investigations (although I think I fixed the problem with the help of EagleTac CS, my G25C2 hasn't been 100% reliable).

Sorry, thinking out loud there. Since my whole selling point of the Armytek UI is it's versatility, I suppose I should stick to that theme and reconsider the Viking. I'll also need to wait for the Warm models to get back in stock. Too bad they don't make Predators with the XML, I like the body better.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Predator and I think it was unuseable at closer distances, that's why I sold it. Viking also have tight 40° spill so it won't be better. I just saw gopajti's pictures and I'm impressed with Olight M22. It's smaller, brighter, throwier and has wider spill than Viking.

Last edited:

tallyram

Newly Enlightened
I have the Predator v2.0 with xp-g2. I am soooooo glad that I purchased this light! I went camping this past weekend and the Predator stole the show. I used the 5 lumen setting mostly and that was perfect for at least 75% of the time. We went bow fishing one night and I used the max brightness setting to penetrate the murky water. I had a much larger and brighter light(Eagletac MX25L2) with me, but the Predator was so versatile that it got the call almost exclusively! The Predator is a very well made light with excellent features at a very reasonable price. I will be purchasing another Predator soon!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an earlier version of the predator. mine has a XP-G high cri 3000k LED. and thanks to scout24's challenge ive been carrying it for the last few days.
i got this light years ago and it replaced all my other throwers. since i rarely ever need throw in my lights, my predator is more of a toy light for me.
for its size, it throws very well. i think it works alright for general use, as long as you dont use its max brightness close-up. it does pocket, but it definitely is my limit for its size . its still a little big but im getting used to it.

my version of the predator is probably the lowest lumen predator you can get because of the low flux of the LED. but it still throws further than i can see clearly. i tried putting in a XP-G2 into mine, but all the electronics are completely potted. which is a good thing, so i gave up on that idea.
its very versatility. uses any types of batteries that can fit, tailstands(i think the newer models dont do that anymore). programmable modes, and levels.
i feel its one of the best "made in china" lights. well designed, with quality components. its actually the only cr123 type light that i still own that doesnt say surefire on it.

what i dislike about it most is the UI, i hate that it requires 2 hands to change modes. ive even thought about pulling out the electronics and using the predator as a host because i love the reflector design so much, and putting in a simpler driver, along with a xp-e2 or xp-g2 :devil:
the coating armytek uses isnt as durable as hard anodizing. it has a rougher surfaces which helps with grip though, and the matte finish looked nice. but mine is a little more shiny from my hand's oil after handling it these years.

so for general use i think itll work. but not as a carry light, unless you really need the throw, or have giant pockets, or holster carry.

benhar

Newly Enlightened
Well now I'm leaning toward the Predator again :)

I don't plan to carry it, other than for hunting and camping. It will stay either by the back door or on my nightstand, with my G25C2 staying at the other spot. Most likely by the back door, since the throw will make it easier to see if the big animal I hear at night is a deer or bear (usually deer, but we've had the other).

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help. Coincidentally gopajti's pictures are what got me thinking about this. Unfortunately I'm not trying to fill any specific need, other than scratching the itch of wanting a new toy :) I think the Viking might more useful, but then again the extra distance on the Predator gives more functional separation from my G25C2. And i do see where the beam could be useful, especially when trying to shine light inside a narrow space. But then yet again, the Viking might be more appropriate for bump in the night investigations (although I think I fixed the problem with the help of EagleTac CS, my G25C2 hasn't been 100% reliable).

Sorry, thinking out loud there. Since my whole selling point of the Armytek UI is it's versatility, I suppose I should stick to that theme and reconsider the Viking. I'll also need to wait for the Warm models to get back in stock. Too bad they don't make Predators with the XML, I like the body better.

They make a Predator X, XM-L2 at HK equipment. It is better than the Viking.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Predator X is discontinued. It's a little bit throwier than the Viking, something like G25C2 but with very tight spill. If you want a thrower that you'll rarely use as a general purpose light Predator may be ok. But if you want a flashlight for general use but with decent throw I think 40 degree spill is just too tight and Olight M22 would be better option.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with the Olight M22 XM-L2 T6 is that it has a step down. Plus if you remove the tactical ring, the threads are exposed. They do not offer a flat grip ring replacement. Therefore yhe throw is limited to a short burst, but it does have a wider spill beam.

Plus the original poster said that he wished they made the Predator with an XM-L because he preferred the Predator body. Therefore I recommend the Predator X using the newer XM-L2 U2 LED for more lux and lumens while retaining excellent regulation and a nice general beam profile.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek have replaced the Predator X with the Viking Pro (review coming soon) which has the full programmability of the Predator unlike earlier Viking models. Predator X is discontinued directly from Armytek.

It is interesting that HKE are listing a Predator X with XM-L2. Maybe Armytek did a run just before going with the V2.5 models

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still buy the Predator X XM-L2 U2 from HK Equipment flashlight and I think its better than the Viking X.

Armytek made a batch and sold it to HK Equipment before what they called a design change.

marcham

Newly Enlightened
I really enjoy my Predator X xm-l2 u2. I've bought many flashlights over the last 20 years and I can truly say that if I could have only 1 light, that would be it. Unfortunately, Armytek no longer offers anything comparable with a crenelated bezel. I use an unprotected panasonic 18650 for frequent use and cr123s for storage / occasional use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

tallyram

Newly Enlightened
The problem with the Olight M22 XM-L2 T6 is that it has a step down. Plus if you remove the tactical ring, the threads are exposed. They do not offer a flat grip ring replacement. Therefore yhe throw is limited to a short burst, but it does have a wider spill beam.

Plus the original poster said that he wished they made the Predator with an XM-L because he preferred the Predator body. Therefore I recommend the Predator X using the newer XM-L2 U2 LED for more lux and lumens while retaining excellent regulation and a nice general beam profile.
+1..... Forgot to mention the "lack" of step down. Used mine on the max setting for 15-20 minutes continuously and it was only warm!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1..... Forgot to mention the "lack" of step down. Used mine on the max setting for 15-20 minutes continuously and it was only warm!

I really like the Predator and Predator X and was showing it to a couple of guys at work. They had a few lights that i am not farmiliar with. It used an XP-G2 and powered by 3 x CR123A cells. It is for the special forces. I would have chosen the Predator.

benhar

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Predator Pro Warm (I'm very partial to neutral tint). We'll see how it goes! Thanks all for the help.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Just do what I did..... wrap a little bit of 3/4" masking tape around the head and use teh Surefire 1.62" flip open diffuser. It fits perfect with a little tape. I fine the light to be very useful with the diffuser and you have instant access to throw if you need it.

dsc5506.jpg

dsc5505b.jpg

dsc5504t.jpg

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Good idea Kaban - my thoughts to the original question is that with a diffuser it would be a great do it all light.

As someone else said - too lazy to look, having to use 2 hands is a bummer though the modes are awesome! The perfect do it all light for me would be the predator with the XPG2 +:

- A diffuser that didn't make the head bigger and flipped up fast.
- A Heavy Duty/more robust version of the Thrunite Scoripion tail switch ring.