New Light - The Future is Now

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Presenting the one and only (way too hard to make another) Photon Energizer. Shown in the inset pictures next to a Mag 2D head for size reference.

ledbulb.jpg

Have to wait until later to power this one up, some of the epoxy needs to cure for a few hours. Initial one second test fire was extremely bright, and I'm resisting the urge to run it longer until later... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

red_robby

Enlightened
holy crap,looks like you should have a fire extinguisher close by
when you test later... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
uh-oh better hope whoevers on Lambda's bad list don't cross paths with him anytime soon, or ZAP!

Looks very interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if George Jetson had a flashlight, it would look like this one. Here it is with the batteries installed, ready to ignight.

ledbulb4.jpg

Just a few more hours and this will be ready to test and see what happens; fire extingusher standing by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm, just when I think Kevin's takin' a break...

I see cooling fins (or are two of them o-rings?) and obviously room for a circuit inside the central core, and it appears there's enough metal inside too for good heatsinking...

Awright, Whazzat???!!! Aww, c'mon, far'it uop, pardner!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, back home and the epoxy is set. 3, 2, 1, ignition!

ledbulb6.jpg

The spot on the wall shot from eight feet:

ledbulb7.jpg

And of course, the laser beam shot:

ledbulb8.jpg

This looks meaner than it really is; R3J driven at 600ma, regulated, and 4AA cells for power. The light meter shows it at only 3000 Lux at one meter, but at that distance the spot is still a doughnut shape and hard to measure. It takes about 6 or 7 feet for the beam to merge into a solid spot. At 50 feet the spot is only 24 inches and clearly brighter than other lights that metered 10K+ Lux when used at distances of 100 feet or more. The extra large reflector really makes for a very tight focus, similar to those million candlepower super lights.

This was the hardest flashlight I ever modded. First, the front lens is glued on; lot's of time spent with an x-acto knife to remove. Then, the 4AA cells are not set up for 6 volts, but 3 volts, and the polarity is backwards. Lots of battery compartment hacking involved.

The space age looking insides are functional, and provide the only heatsinking for the Luxeon. One neat feature (side effect) is that the backside of the reflector takes on a faint light blue glow when the light is on.

ledbulb5.jpg

This flashlight started life as an Energizer Tent light, where you could pull the stock bulb out of the reflector for use as an area light. Never worked very well, just made kind of a blinding point source light. So, it just seemed right for a Luxeon mod.

All in all, it actually makes for a pretty nice mod light; very tight bright beam, pure white color, and estimated 3+ hour run time on 4AA cells. Great, futuristic looking flashlight, and it floats!

This thing is ready to go back into the boat now awaiting next summer to prove it's metal.

Thanks for looking. This one was hard, but fun to mod flashlight with excellent results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tom,

The laser wall shot gives a good image of the beam focus. I just put the light next to the wall and position it so 1/2 of the center spot is on the celing and the other half on the wall.

I measured the output again, this time at two meters and got 1380 Lux. So, using the inverse square math thing, that puts it equal to 5520 Lux at one meter. That's probably a lot closer to the real output level than the one meter readings I was getting.

2watt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
futuristic looking flashlight, and it floats!

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't beat that!! Nice job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif