Fenix PD35 (XM-L2 U2, 1*18650, 850lm) photos, impressions

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys,

Fenix PD35 arrived few weeks ago. I would like to share my experience. I really like Fenix P3D/PD3x series. Few years ago one of my first quality flashlight was the P3D Q5 (pic) and this flashlight was one of my favourite in this time (2008), but unfortunately not worked with 18650 battery. In past years many PD3x generations was released with XP-G R4, R5, XP-G2 and XM-L T6 leds and now here is the newest gen of this series, the PD35 with newest gen XM-L2 (U2) led. Max output is awesome 850lm.

My old P3D Q5, was my favourite flashight in 2008

14657091_5a11d6e44b1a9d5218e3c97df8236e76_l.jpg

PD35 main specs
coming soon

My impressions

Pros
coming soon..

Cons
coming soon..

Other comment
coming soon..

and photos, if you need higher res pls click image (more pics coming soon!)

PD35 and TK35 U2 boxes. (btw TK35 new version coming soon with XM-L2 U2 led, max. 900lm :sssh:)

Perfectly centred LED,

Panasonic NCR18650B, 3400mAh unprotected cell fit perfectly, not rattle in tube.

Fenix PD35, TK75 and the beast, RC40.

Fenix E01, E11 (2.gen), PD35 and TK35 U2

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Ahhh more great photos from gopajti! Very nice light. I wish it was a bit more neutral, say 5000K or so.

Capolini

Banned
Great job!! Awesome beam shots!:thumbsup:

I have the TK-35. I have heard a lot about the PD-35 and how much people like it. :)

It was nice to see you compare them. I am impressed with the beam shots of the PD-35 compared to the TK-35. It is obvious that the TK-35 has more beam intensity[29000 cd] than the PD-35[8500 cd], but the PD-35's flood and overall output is impressive! Makes me want to get it but I already have 3 lights in the 850 lumen range!:thinking:

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Can anyone VERIFY that the PD-35 can be used on Constant turbo with no step downs?? it says 1h 15 min. of Turbo.

I searched Fenix websites and others and it did not mention that it steps down after 3 or 5 minutes like some other lights do.

So, to me that means constant turbo!!! Just looking for verification gentlemen!!:)

Also, can it use a "Protected" 18650? Thanks

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
Five minute turbo.

The protected Sanyo 2600 red fits mine easily, I will be trying the Panasonic protected 3400 in about a week.

Capolini

Banned
Five minute turbo.

The protected Sanyo 2600 red fits mine easily, I will be trying the Panasonic protected 3400 in about a week.

Thanks,,,,,,,,,I wonder why I did not see that [5 minute turbo] mentioned anywhere? I am guessing if that is the case then if you would continue to "step Back Up" it may step down again anyway due to overheating issues?

OK,,,,,,,,,,,I downloaded the user manual and saw that info.[5 min. of turbo]
It is not listed on any of Fenix dealers websites

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
Capolini, looks like you don't read flashlight reviews.If you understand how the flashlight works,you will not expect to use such a slim flashlight for more than 5 minutes with 2,8A current draw.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Capolini, looks like you don't read flashlight reviews.If you understand how the flashlight is working,you will not expect to use such a slim flashlight for more than 5 minutes with 2,8A current draw.

I disagree!! :)

I realize this is not a TK-75 and is an edc light, however, when the manufacturers MISLEADS the public in believing that you get 1h 15 min. of turbo when in reality it steps down after 5 minutes and Fenix tells you NOT to continually use turbo or it may damage the light,,,,,,,,,that is deception!

Nowhere on 3 websites did I find that it steps down after 5 minutes. I also looked to see if SB reviewed it and I did not see it on on his website,,,,regardless of that it is the misleading advertising of "Turbo Runtime" by many manufacturers that is bothersome and deceptive!

This is discussed more[how all manufacturers]in a thread "Part of advertising, maybe[?], misleading[?] absolutely!!"
Numerous examples by others!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Capolini, looks like you don't read flashlight reviews.If you understand how the flashlight is working,you will not expect to use such a slim flashlight for more than 5 minutes with 2,8A current draw.

Capilini aside, I think the bigger picture issue is a consumer walking into an REI store and buying this. You can't blame them for being surprised about the 5-minute stepdown if it's not on the packaging somewhere. Disclaimer in the manual is not good enough; REI or any other retailer doesn't want people tearing open packages. And even though we are informed via CPF, the "normal" person is not going to spend hours in a forum reading reviews like me. I'm sure they don't even know CPF exists!

Capolini

Banned
Capilini aside, I think the bigger picture issue is a consumer walking into an REI store and buying this. You can't blame them for being surprised about the 5-minute stepdown if it's not on the packaging somewhere. Disclaimer in the manual is not good enough; REI or any other retailer doesn't want people tearing open packages. And even though we are informed via CPF, the "normal" person is not going to spend hours in a forum reading reviews like me. I'm sure they don't even know CPF exists!

I agree it is misleading and deception. Whether it is me or a consumer going into REI should not matter! It is the manufacturers responsibility to make the consumer aware!

It is an advertising ploy that is also discussed in more detail in a thread, "Part of advertising, maybe[?], Misleading[?] absolutely"!

Feedback from people who have a lot of experience!:)

kj2

Flashaholic

I agree it is misleading and deception. Whether it is me or a consumer going into REI should not matter! It is the manufacturers responsibility to make the consumer aware!

It is an advertising ploy that is also discussed in more detail in a thread, "Part of advertising, maybe[?], Misleading[?] absolutely"!

Feedback from people who have a lot of experience!:)
It's not "misleading" IMO. Should they mention it on the back of the packaging, yeah- they probably should for unknowing consumers.
But the manual is very clear on this subject.

bki04.png

STiFTW

Newly Enlightened
Having both the TK35 and the PD35, I think this is a very well done review.

I love the flood beam of the PD35 as my EDC light, where as the TK35 with a head about 5x as large has a much hotter center and thus more range to it.

The photography and gif at the end were fantastic. I have been meaning to put together a review but I think you have done an excellent job.

One thing that I will call additional attention to, that was in your pictures, is the PD35 is sprung at both ends, and IME is very friendly to long protected cells.

A note on Turbo for a few questions that come up ... the light gets hot very quickly on turbo, and you wouldn't want it go much more than 5 min before stepping down. It is good for short duration use, and in my usage, rarely ever needed (mostly just when I want to show off the brightness).

markr6

Flashaholic
It's not "misleading" IMO. Should they mention it on the back of the packaging, yeah- they probably should for unknowing consumers. But the manual is very clear on this subject.
bki04.png

I hate to dilute gopajti's thread on a wonderful review, but I would like to mention what I said in another thread about this: A manual is not enough. If someone walks into REI and drops $75 on a flashlight, they shouldn't have to assume there's some fine print in a manual inside. And I'm sure REI doesn't want people tearing open packages. AND I would rather not spend $75 on something new after someone had their greasy little hands on it, possibly losing the manual, accessories, etc.

Simply throw an "*" on the box and put a small note on the back of the box to show transparency. It's a respectable move well appreciated by consumers.

I know kj2 is a big Fenix fan, as am I, but this is just a small update Fenix can do to prevent any future ambiguity. It's also a big numbers game we're in, so on the flip side I understand them not making it 100% clear about the 850 lumens.

Streamer

Enlightened
I agree with everything said thus far. However, guys wer're dealing with the Orient Express here..wtf can one expect?
Big China has all our bucks. They're gonna do what they wanna. :thumbsdow

kj2

Flashaholic
Simply throw an "*" on the box and put a small note on the back of the box to show transparency. It's a respectable move well appreciated by consumers.
I know kj2 is a big Fenix fan, as am I, but this is just a small update Fenix can do to prevent any future ambiguity.
A simple note, would help a lot indeed :)

Capolini

Banned
It's not "misleading" IMO. Should they mention it on the back of the packaging, yeah- they probably should for unknowing consumers.
But the manual is very clear on this subject.

bki04.png
Yes, I see what your saying and I saw that! :)

When does the average consumer get the manual?? After purchase!

[This is not their exact wording] It also says that if you continue to step up and use turbo it may cause overheating and damage the flashlight and lessen its life. They do not recommend that you do that.

Basically they are advertising all this turbo time when in REALITY if you attempt it the light will overheat, cause a possible safety issue and won't last! Try getting you money back after they tell you NOT to do that. That is where the deception lies and where the run times are misleading!

I rest my case!!

The gentlemen, gopajti who started this post did a great job as I indicated in my first post.

I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE ANYMORE AWAY FROM THAT AND HOPEFULLY EVERYONE ELSE CAN AGREE TO LET THE ISSUE REST!!:thumbsup:

NO MORE :dedhorse:

It is time to take the Siberian for our nightly wilderness walk!! Tk-75 in right hand. EA4 on right hip for emergency and of course, Capo the Siberian using up my left Hand/arm!!

have a great night!

Last edited: