Imalent... new brand? Check this out!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable LED Searchlight IMALENT DD4R 3800 lumens with touchscreen control

Yet another Chinese brand. These guys seem new as a search on CPF returns no results and I never heard of them before. I'm not too keen on the idea of a touch screen on one of the most dropped objects on the planet, but they seem confident in their product enough and the features are interesting... Anyone knows anything about them and this light?

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darn, I must have been drinking too much; I could have sworn I posted in the LED flashlight section... thanks for moving the thread, Norm. What would I look like if you weren't around?

Just FYI,you might want to fix your link..it doesn't work.

Link fixed, thanks for the head up!

This animated gif makes it clear how this type of interface can make having 5+ different intensities more than practical and easy to know what "mode" you're on. Thanks for including that in the thread. It also shows that the intuitive "don't-need-to-look-at" side is a bit lost, although the physical buttons can remedy to that...

That's a pretty sweet idea :thumbsup:

Definitely a cool interface, but it also makes me feel like the interface itself is a weak point. It also makes me fell like the next step is a bluetooth touch-screen remote control for your light: point with one hand and switch modes with the other. Not like I haven't thought of it before, but this makes me feel like it's a lot closer than I imagined... including controlling your flashlight with your cell phone and finding you cell phone with your flashlight, but not the old traditional way, though... Can you imagine using your flashlight as a "hands free" device?" LOL! All my lights are thicker than my phone!

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fourseven's is workin on a Bluetooth flashlight, as I understand the video from last years shot show, one your phone and your flashlight are 30 feet apart, they'll flash. Not sure what else they are going to work in.

Theirs also a bluetooth tooth programable light out there right now, it's not ios compatable but if your an Android phone user your in luck. I've seen mention of it on a couple forums. I know that you can program it through Bluetooth which is pretty sweet.
FlexCandles Asgard is its name, two 18650 and an XML2 if I remember right.

touch screen is a cool step in the (on a flashlight?) direction. Hopefully someone does it right so that it's not the weak point (I put protective cases on my phones but not on a flashlight)

voice activated next? Reminds me of DemolitionMan when the villain reprogrammed the room lights for the word illuminate ;) LoL

Last edited:

Holiday

Newly Enlightened
this DD4R is the brother of Nitecore TM26, just got these new pictures from wallbuys facebook, it seems they want to catch it

T2JXN4Xv8XXXXXXXXX_80110363_zps9beb9392.jpg

T2HjN5XqVXXXXXXXXX_80110363_zpsc713f3a3.gif

T29o41XBVXXXXXXXXX_80110363_zpsc6a6cd27.gif

T2DeV0XydXXXXXXXXX_80110363_zps9f13a7a4.jpg

Ishango

Enlightened
This is nice innovative idea. Though I too would worry about the toughness of the touchscreen part and the heat resistance. I'd love to see a good review on this light.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I think it will be plenty durable, phones are the most dropped thing on the planet, and apart from crappy apple ones, and some of the super new ones they don't break most of the time you really have to drop them HARD for them to break.

I have a original HTC wildfire and a HTC desire S, the amount of times o have dropped them screen down / screen up / corner down against concert sometimes for more than 2 metres ( iv dropped on out a house windows so easily 5-6 or more Meyers onto concret ) and they been fine jusr the odd ding in the body or a scratch I think if they use these type of screens and not the ones used I'm super new hi res phones they should be fine. (they seem to be a LOT more fragile (still not as bad as apple ones (I'm not an apple hater they make good phones, although over priced IMO) just the screens of 60-70% of apple products I see are smashed!

And I have before had a very very old HTC phone of some kind, don't know what it was but I was going to throw it away but I had some fun before hand and I hit it with screw driver's /hammers /hand drill (hand powered) through it against walls, kicked it and jumped on it and tried all sorts, the cases got Fudged up but that screen would just not break or craack!

In the end I took a sledge hammer and pick axe to it and that worked, I then threw it on a fire....one TUFF phone.

So goes to show if they manage to get the designs and materials correct it should no be an issue, weather they do or not is going to be the question.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fourseven's is workin on a Bluetooth flashlight, as I understand the video from last years shot show, one your phone and your flashlight are 30 feet apart, they'll flash. Not sure what else they are going to work in.

Theirs also a bluetooth tooth programable light out there right now, it's not ios compatable but if your an Android phone user your in luck. I've seen mention of it on a couple forums. I know that you can program it through Bluetooth which is pretty sweet.
FlexCandles Asgard is its name, two 18650 and an XML2 if I remember right.

touch screen is a cool step in the (on a flashlight?) direction. Hopefully someone does it right so that it's not the weak point (I put protective cases on my phones but not on a flashlight)

voice activated next? Reminds me of DemolitionMan when the villain reprogrammed the room lights for the word illuminate ;) LoL

Cool things to know. I think Fourseven had the right idea. Bluetooth programmable is nice, I don't see why they would restrain themselves from having an IOS app as well...

Hmmm... protective case for a flashlight... could be popular among shelf queen owners. I think the easy way to do it here, though, would be to recess the screen a bit to at least avoid scratches.

I wonder how well the touch screen will hold up with the heat..

They must have chosen the touch screen with the heat in mind... I hope!

My touch screen devices do not work when I have gloves on, I wonder if the screen is electro-static or pressure sensing.

I found some gloves that actually work with touch screens; the thumb and index finger tips have conductive fibers in them. 40$ at the camera shop.

I think it will be plenty durable, phones are the most dropped thing on the planet, and apart from crappy apple ones, and some of the super new ones they don't break most of the time you really have to drop them HARD for them to break.

I have a original HTC wildfire and a HTC desire S, the amount of times o have dropped them screen down / screen up / corner down against concert sometimes for more than 2 metres ( iv dropped on out a house windows so easily 5-6 or more Meyers onto concret ) and they been fine jusr the odd ding in the body or a scratch I think if they use these type of screens and not the ones used I'm super new hi res phones they should be fine. (they seem to be a LOT more fragile (still not as bad as apple ones (I'm not an apple hater they make good phones, although over priced IMO) just the screens of 60-70% of apple products I see are smashed!

And I have before had a very very old HTC phone of some kind, don't know what it was but I was going to throw it away but I had some fun before hand and I hit it with screw driver's /hammers /hand drill (hand powered) through it against walls, kicked it and jumped on it and tried all sorts, the cases got Fudged up but that screen would just not break or craack!

In the end I took a sledge hammer and pick axe to it and that worked, I then threw it on a fire....one TUFF phone.

So goes to show if they manage to get the designs and materials correct it should no be an issue, weather they do or not is going to be the question.

I was thinking phones weigh less than a pound, but sounds like you did some extreme torture tests that show there's a good chance it will work out fine...