Streamlight 4AA Pro Polymer

brio

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight Pro Polymer 4AA Xenon light is my "meat and potatoes" flashlight. When I need some light, this is the first thing I grab. The 4AA isn't the brightest light out there, nor is it the smallest; it's.......well, just right.
smile.gif

fcb3ab09.jpg

I bought mine in the neon yellow because my philosophy on flashlight bodies is: When you need a flashlight, it's usually dark. So......it's easier to find a bright colored body of a flashlight than a black one. I also like cool colored flashlights, and the black model didn't impress me. But that's me...

The body is made out of a tough nylon-like polymer (hence the name), which seems like it would hold up to just about any abuse. The head is made of a rubber material, and the tail houses the tail switch. Because the body is oval-shaped, it has a nice feel in the hand and doesn't roll easily when set down. I think there was an older model of this light with a momentary switch on the back, and a twist head. This model seems like a definite improvement.

fcb3ab05.jpg

The tail switch is recessed slightly, which helps prevent accidental turn-ons, but I don't think you would have a problem with this switch turning on easily. At first the switch seemed to push hard (strong spring), but I just held it down really hard one time for about a minute, and that took some of the "spunk" out of the spring. Now it feels....well, just right.
wink.gif

The light runs on standard alkaline AA's, which is something I really like, since most of my flashlight collection, as well as many of my electronic gadgets, all run on this battery format. Being standardized on AA's, and to some degree AAA's, is something I try to do. I've heard lithiums are not good to run in this light though.

Inside of the 4AA, you'll find installing batteries very easy. There is a convenient label to show you which way to install the batteries. The lens/lamp assembly is keyed to fit back in only one way. You'll also notice a pressure release valve by the threads. I think this is to relieve any pressure buildup that may occur inside. This would seem like a good idea, considering how sealed this light feels when you put the front-cover back on. I think the light is rated 200 foot water depth. All I know is that if you took this light into the harshest weather, it would hold up just fine IMHO. Speaking of taking it to harsh environments; the body of this light is splattered with text for all kinds of UL hazardous ratings, so it should be ready for just about anything. Speaking of text on the body; the StreamLight part numbers for the Xenon lamp are right there too, in case you need them.

fcb3ab06.jpg

The lens/lamp assembly is what impresses me most about this light. A PR type lamp would seem to be the better choice because you can mix and match different bulbs, but Streamlight has done an excellent job of calibrating this bulb with the lens to make a perfect beam the first time. The beam is bright. The beam is white. The beam is as near perfect a beam as I ever seen with no apparent rings or dark spots. Because the lens/lamp is fixed at the factory, you just turn the 4AA on and use it; no need to fiddle with focusing. The lens is textured, which is probably what helps smooth out the lamp ouput so good. The cost to replace the len/lamp is around $8 from brightguy; with a life expectancy of 30 hours.

fcb3ab0c.jpg

The beam shot of the 4AA is with a stock Mini-Mag. The 4AA had been run for maybe 20 minutes already, so the brightness output should be closer to its average.

fcb3ab07.jpg

Well, that's about it. I really like this light!

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review brio. I've been really curious about this light, but I've been confused by the two different versions. Some web sites show the old model and I wasn't sure which was which.

From your review, it sounds like this new version is the one for me. Now, I have to find a place selling this version. If you don't mind, where and when did you get yours?

Thanks, Pat

JustAGuy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info and pics. I have the LED version, but not the incandescant.

Just curious, does anyone know how it compares to its seemingly natural competitors, the PT 40 and UK 4AA?

S

SPEED1356

Great light!
Got pix to compare the new version and the old version?
Yah how does it compares to PT40 and UK4AA?
I have both of these flashlights.
smile.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review!

The light I have for this is the UK 4AA AS2 (which I really like). Look's like from the beam shot that the beam quality is higher on the Streamlight! Shoot! I might just have to get one of these sometime! ...got a Surge on the way for now though...
smile.gif

brio

Newly Enlightened
treek13: I bought mine from http://www.brightguy.com in Nov. 2002. Someone on CPF posted that the newer version was out, so I went for it. You need to know this beforehand though: The box it comes in will most likely have a picture of the older model on it. Don't have a heart-attack! The newer model will be inside.

Something I forget from my original posting is that the beam shots were taken at about 10 feet.

Sorry, but I don't have a PT40 or UK4aa...yet. I'm still a Jr. FlashAholic, but I'm slowing becoming intoxicated.
wink.gif
The light output of the 4AA is pretty close to a 3D Maglight running a krypton bulb; when you consider the size/weight difference, it's a better deal all around.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'm going to have to get one. The beam looks better than my Responder's beam. I like the textured reflector. It would be good for mods for other lights. Hey! Can I have your spent bulbs/reflectors?

StreamChucker

Raven

Enlightened
I take it the beam on the right side of photo is the SL correct? If so, it absolutely blows my 2 uk4aa out of the water in terms of beam quality.

I'm probably not the only one that would love to see a few more beam shots )))

Thanks !!!

Raven

brio

Newly Enlightened
The beam on the right is the SL4AA. Before you guys get all "surefire" happy, you need to know that I'm not some pro on taking these pictures. Looking at that beam shot, I can see that the SL4AA beam looks a little *burned* as far as exposure. Here is another beam shot I had took which appears to have a more balanced exposure:

fcb35a6b.jpg

Here is a 3D Mag verses SL4AA. Notice how the camera exposure shifted. Here you can see a clearer view of the SL4AA beam. Also notice how ringy and blotchy the Mag beam is. The mag is brighter, but I don't think it is as useful as the SL4AA:

fcb3593e.jpg

S

SPEED1356

Is it possible to take a front shot instead of taking the shoot sideway?
smile.gif

brio

Newly Enlightened
I'm off center to the right a little, but not much (about a foot right, and a foot forward of the lights). Trying to keep myself out of the photo.
smile.gif
I'll have to practice taking beam-shots some more to get it right. It's not as easy as it would seem to get it right.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, the xenon, and the 7LED. Nice lights. My Xenon is the newer model with the click tail cap, but it has a smooth reflector; a spare lamp assembly ordered with the light has the textured reflector, so maybe mine is a "transitional" model. The beam quality with the smooth reflector is very nice, looks like the photos; guess I'll have to wait to see if the replacement looks better.

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
I am a firefighter issued with a UK4AA but I bought my own Streamlight 4AA 7LED. An excellent "personal floodlight". I use the UK for structural firefighting - its xenon beam is better at cutting through smoke, and the Streamlight for everything else.
Just one thing - try turning it on or off with fire gloves on.