Different UI experiences and recommendations

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
The last 2 weeks I've been evaluating current LED & flashlight technology as what I have is from 2005 - 2007 (and things have evolved plenty since then!). Back then most of the UI was single mode (tail clicky), or a couple of modes with a forward tail clicky (and perhaps a head twist to get to "turbo"). So now it seems there are 3 primary UI's (at least what I've gleaned so far):

a. tail clicky for multiple modes and maybe a head twist for turbo and strobe

b. tail clicky for power on/off and also a smaller tail clicky for mode selection (like terralux & klarus)

c. tail clicky for power on/off, then a side mounted mode switch (ie, like many fenix now)

So I'm curious as to what people think about the different UI after using them a bit. And my uses are more general and not in any kind of a "tactical" scenario. So which do you like (and not like) and why? thx.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The last 2 weeks I've been evaluating current LED & flashlight technology as what I have is from 2005 - 2007 (and things have evolved plenty since then!). Back then most of the UI was single mode (tail clicky), or a couple of modes with a forward tail clicky (and perhaps a head twist to get to "turbo"). So now it seems there are 3 primary UI's (at least what I've gleaned so far):

b. tail clicky for power on/off and also a smaller tail clicky for mode selection (like terralux & klarus)

c. tail clicky for power on/off, then a side mounted mode switch (ie, like many fenix now)

So I'm curious as to what people think about the different UI after using them a bit. And my uses are more general and not in any kind of a "tactical" scenario. So which do you like (and not like) and why? thx.

For most non-tactical scenarios, most people have a 'common use" for their light. IE: They use it to walk the dog, or to get out to their car in dark parking lots, or to find stuff in the basement/store room or whatever.

That means that a memory is typically a good thing, as the light simply comes on at whatever it was at the last time.

If the uses are more varied, and if you tend to prefer really dim lighting if its really dark and your eyes are night adapted, a light that comes on at a very low setting by default, with you turning it up as desired, is another popular set up.

There are now lights with control rings...which you didn't mention. Those allow you to preselect a brightness level before turning the light on, and/or to adjust it to exactly the output you prefer for whatever you're doing...to dial in the brightness you want.

The rings include those with preset detentes, say a half dozen potential levels, and you turn the ring to select the one you want, or infinitely adjustable, in that its like a thermostat and you rotate the dial until it looks right...with no preset intermediate detentes.

After that, its just a matter of how YOU use a light...and if a side or tail switch, or a control ring, etc, makes sense for you.

rje58

Enlightened
I've used most of them... personally, I still like "old school" simple UIs: 3- or 4-mode twisties and forward clickies (only 4 if one is moon mode). I really like my EagleTac D25A Clicky, but I don't like that it has a rear clicky and I still have to twist the head and use the clicky to cycle thru two different "groups" of UI... bleh. I've sold all the side switch lights that I've tried so far, but I still want to give Zebralight a try - one of the few major/mainstream brands I haven't owned yet.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like simple 1 or 2 mode lights. ideally, surefire E-series with a low/high mode w/o memory. i also love surefire's dual-stage momentary UI that is found on their LX2, aviator, and L1 models.

i dislike any kind of mode memory, i want to know exactly what mode it comes on in.
i also dislike having to twist the bezel for any reason. i want easy operation with 1 hand.

rje58

Enlightened
This is one of the UIs I personally haven't tried. From what I have heard and read, some of them tend to be problematic...? Which are you using, and for how long have you been using it? Any issues?

For EDC, I won't buy anything but a control ring.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of electronic clickies/switches for reliability reasons - mechanical clickies can at least be easily by-passed with a piece of tinfoil turning them to twisties. Rubber boot clicky/switches tend to be most significant moving part, wear item, and first point of failure on a light. a) is my favorite UI since some of them have a single-handed momentary max function that works like car high beam flashers, and revert to the previously set lower mode.

Last edited:

jimboutilier

Enlightened

a) I think overall this OldFenix/Foursevens/EagleTac interface is my favorite. Its like having two lights in one. Head tight you have a tactical light with only max/strobe. Head loose you have an EDC light that comes on low (or last used for memory models) and you can sequence through 3/4 brightness settings and hidden blinky modes.
b) Not familiar with this one - sounds good though
c) Don't like the new Fenix UI and pretty much stopped buying Fenix lights when they went to it. Makes the light a lot longer and you have to change grip to switch between on/off and brightness adjustments. Don't like any light with a brightness and on/off controls significantly separated so as to require a grip change.

A few you haven't mentioned
d) Magnetic control ring - these can make great EDC lights as you just select the appropriate brightness each time you turn it on. A quick flick gets you to max almost instantly if you need it. Just about anyone can pick up one of these lights and quickly figure it out (unlike many other UIs). I think I prefer the smooth rings like the Jetbeam RRT-01 over the click stop rings on the similar Niteye Eye10 but they both have their strengths
e) Combo tail tlicky and tail ring like the Niteye MS series or HDS EDC Rotary. You get a clicky and a magnetic ring but both are on the tail so no grip switching required.
f) Lots of variations on the side clicky but you seem to be more interested in a tail clicky so I won't go into them other than to say Zebralight has an excellent one.

I probably most often carry "A" for casual EDC. But when I know I'm going to need a light or the task is critical, I often choose "D"/"E" so I know I can choose the exact amount of light I want. My favorite "A" lights are the EagleTac D25A or D25C clicky for single cell lights and the Foursevens Quark Pro's for two cell lights. My favorite "D" is a JEtbeam RRT-01 (infinite ring, but the Niteye Eye10 with a click stop ring is close). My favorite "E" is the HDS EDC Rotary.

There are probably tons more out there too

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
Some really good experiences and reasons here, so thanks. And a few other variants to consider as well, like the control ring setups.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
On/Off forward clicky, with twist head loose/tight for mode selection. I'm also fond of the reverse clicky with soft press to change modes, but only for low lighting needs (sub 100 lumen).

For headlamps I really like the UI of the Fenix HL30. There's been a lot of thought put into that headlamp, and I think it's very underated.

I hate, and I repeat HATE having to cycle through modes where the next time you turn it on, the next mode in the sequence comes on. Especially if there's a blinky mode or two. Been caught twice by this when buying what looked to be a bargain light.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC I'm a big fan of "infinitely" variable control rings; perfect amount of light every time and you can even approximately pre-select your output; a big winner for midnight bathroom runs.

I also love the multiple-mode control rings for EDC as well.

For work purposes, I am a proponent of the 4seven's programmable 2-mode interface.

For general around the house tasks (another unmentioned interface) I use Zebras as it is extremely easy to turn the light on/off and to access so many modes with only one hand.

For hiking, but mostly bicycling, I go for the Fenix side-button interface.

This is one of the UIs I personally haven't tried. From what I have heard and read, some of them tend to be problematic...? Which are you using, and for how long have you been using it? Any issues?

I never had any problems with control rings. I believe the problems you report could be model specific as I remember some specific models being problematic, but not necessarily due to the magnetic ring.

Last edited:

Razzle

Enlightened
I like one hand operation (even simple tail clicky, but not my mostest fav).

Best for me is the Jetbeam, ala RRT01. Simple twist infinitely variable, easy peasy.

Next would be either the one forward button, ala the Zebralight SC52 or SC600, one click for full on, or press and hold to cycle through three brightness levels. Or the two forward button, like my Fenix TK75, one button for on-off and the other to cycle through modes.

I'm going to now try the tail clicky twisty head six times back and forth lights, if not just for the challenge.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on one-handed operation.

the common tail- on/off switch with a side-clicky for levels, such as the PD35, I deal with by leaving the tail switch turned on all the time, but rotate the head slightly to turn on/off the light and use my thumb or forefinger to click thru the levels.

I rather like the lights with a magnetic ring, but with detents rather than a continuously variable setting. Nearly all of the lights with continuously variable level setting seem to have a dead spot at the high end - some more, some less. I no longer own any light with a continuously variable level setting.

JohnGribbin

Newly Enlightened
I'm too new to have a favorite but I do like the non memory cycle through tail clicky. They always turn on at the same level so you don't have to remember the last time you used it.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
The one hand sideswitch operation used in the Olight S10,S15 and S20 or the magnetic ring ui like the Nitecore SRT-series and the Sunwayman V20 series are the best. The sideswitch ui allows from off instant access to either moonlight mode or highest mode. The same goes for the magnetic ring ui, allows from off instant access to either moonlight or highest mode or even strobe(depending on where one places the magnetic ring). These ui are the best! I wish that more flashlights where made like these!

So far no issues what so ever with the magnetic ring.

Last edited:

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
Having tried several over the years, my favorite is the 2 mode Surefire Backup tail clicky. High and Low with easy momentary: very simple. The McGizmo 3S engine is also nice, although I find changing modes a bit tricker because you need to time your clicks carefully--the same goes for the HDS Clicky interface. You get more options which is good, but there are ease-of-use tradeoffs.

The 4Sevens Quark UI was also simple to use. It was easy to find the level you needed, and the fully twisted head gave you easy access to maximum brightness. The only thing I didn't like was the strobe and SOS modes which I never used.

I also like the magnetic ring on the Jetbeam TCR01. The lack of a tailswitch made it very easy to use. Just twist until you get the desired level of brightness. I just wish there was a greater level of control (i.e. more travel to space out the levels) and that the detent was stronger to avoid accidental activations in the pocket. I ran through several primaries due to the battery draining in my pocket and had the light be out of juice when I actually needed to use it.

snakyjake

Enlightened

I have the JETBeam RRT01 (6/2013). I got the Jetbeam for a great price. The Sunwayman M11R was also on the list because I don't need the "infinitely" variable output, and I liked the look of the smooth cylinder form of the M11R; like the Jetbeam price a lot better.

The main reason why I like the control ring is because I can quickly get to the output I want without recycling through the clicks, and allows you to go forward and backwards. I can also rotate quickly for momentary on, I can also quickly go from off to high, or off to low...or whatever. When I'm walking I have it on medium, but when I need the distance I can quickly get to high, then back down to medium. I control the output very fluently.

I also think the control ring may make the lights shorter too.

Jake

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
For EDC I'm a big fan of "infinitely" variable control rings; perfect amount of light every time and you can even approximately pre-select your output; a big winner for midnight bathroom runs.
My problem with infinitely variable control is not being sure about impact on battery life. My EDC is a Nitecore D10, and although I love the torch generally I'd rather it had 6 or 8 levels instead of 256.

I'm also not keen on memory. The torch may remember but I probably wont, so there's a danger that it will come on at full brightness unexpectedly and blind me.

snakyjake

Enlightened
The infinitely variable control ring can still be considered to have low, med, high output to estimate battery life.
In my situation, I have never been able to estimate battery life.