**NEW** Spark SF5 & SF3 — CW & NW

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spark SF5 & SF3 — CW & NW

I've seen these in the 2014 Spark pdf-catalog and they are already listed on HKE for sale with both "Spot / Floody Lenses" included as kit.

So what do you guys think of this model? Very original? :D

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Seems similar to their SG3 and SG5, in the same way that zebralight has an H and SC version of their small lights. I own the SG3 NW and it's great, especially like the screw in reflector that makes it either a mule or a reflectored light. Can't really tell from these images if it works in the same way with these lights, but it looks different. Then again, these look a bit more like 3d renders and not actual product photo's.

Certainly an interesting pair though, although for a regular flashlight, I would have liked to see a better clip (screwed in, I dislike the clip-on-clips), and I would have loved it if they expanded on their screw in reflector as the SG3 and SG5 use.
Would have been nice if they offered like 4 or 5 options for screw in reflectors, perhaps one with an aspherical lens as a thrower, one with a reflector but with a frosted lens etc.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
These look pretty great. I'm happy they offer a NW along with the CW. They don't seem prohibitively expensive either.

I'll have to try these out after the holidays.

ven

Flashaholic
Nice find....I like the look a lot,very nice:twothumbs as said look quite good value too

Rexlion

Enlightened
Comparisons to ZL SC52 are inevitable. So.... I'll take a stab at it.

Spark advantages:
Spot lens that screws on, for flood or throw in one light
A great alternative for anyone who dislikes ZL for whatever reason

ZL advantages:
No lens to lose; add DC Fix for more flood
500 lumen burst for 1 minute possible with 14500
Several sub-lumen modes available
3-mode interface that allows rapid access to any mode

Assuming similar quality and durability, the two seem very similar.

However, I wish these manufacturers would call a spade a spade. "Max" means maximum, the most, the top end. But Spark has labeled their second-highest mode as Max, and their real max is "Super." It's bad enough when lights have a mode that's higher than "High". Higher than Max is just ridiculous labeling IMO.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
and some more..

Spark advantages:
arguably better looks
lower price
XM-L2 CW
nicer tint rendition in the CW and the NW (our hopes!)
user-replaceable glass lens if broken
reverse polarity pirection

ZL advantages:
legendary, most respected China-made production brand
proven high efficiency
smaller, shorter, slimmer, compacter
the original, the leader, the most popular ever!!

There is nothing to really dislike about the ZL other than the tint.

Last edited:

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
Ordered my SF3-NW the day they were listed. Tired of waiting for that ZL SC32.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Trevilux
*CYPM* for the Spark pdf 2014 cat

I see you guys are enchanted by the beautiful looks of the SF pair?
All right then, i am in too hibbeling sparks :huh:

Merry Xmas everybody :D

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF3 NW just arrived today. Here are my first impressions:

• Very impressive. It's lightweight and feels good in the hand. the carbon fiber looks good, but is smooth. Knurling might not look as nice but is probably more functional.
  • Switch feels the same as that on my Soark SL5 190 NW. It's slightly smaller and more recessed than the switch on the Zebralight SC51, but not nearly as recessed or stiff as that on the SC52. I suspect that occasional accidental turn-ons in the pocket might occur if tailcap lockout isn't used.
  • NW Tint is excellent. It looks very similar to that on my Eagletac D25c NW 2012 lights or my Spark SL5. The tint looks better than the tint of my SC52w. I estimate around 4500k color temp. On li-ion, the SF3 isn't as bright as the turbo mode of the SC52, but that's to be expected from the stats.
  • The light came with 2 separate bezel / lens assemblies. The default installed one has a reflector. The alternate bezel is significantly shorter (making for a smaller light) and turns the light into a mule with no reflector. This is the first light I've seen that came with this option. Good job Spark.
  • The Interface is very good, with shortcuts to min and max. It's superior to the interface of the Spark SL5 and almost as good as the interface of the SC52 or Olight S10 L2.

Overall, a very impressive EDC light.

Bronco

Enlightened
I had some interest in this light until I saw it described as having a "carbon fiber sleeve decoration". Sorry, but non-structural and/or faux carbon fiber accents have about as much appeal to me as the plastic 'simulated hardwood' panels you'd find adorning the dash of an '83 Buick - particularly when they're a substitute for a functional detail like knurling or fluting.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had some interest in this light until I saw it described as having a "carbon fiber sleeve decoration". Sorry, but non-structural and/or faux carbon fiber accents have about as much appeal to me as the plastic 'simulated hardwood' panels you'd find adorning the dash of an '83 Buick - particularly when they're a substitute for a functional detail like knurling or fluting.

The carbon fiber doesn't add any noticeable weight. But I agree that it would have been much better to have something more practical: either knurling or a grippy rubber sleeve.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah that's garbage. Sacrifice function for a cheap looking aesthetic gimmick.

LowFlux

Enlightened
Considering that carbon fiber isn't as rigid as steel...I can see why it is a sleeve. A good drop could shatter a solid carbon fiber tube otherwise.

Trevilux

Enlightened
SF5 arrived today.
Head for throw, have a beam similarly to the SC52.
Head for flood, really nice, beam very similar to the ATOM AL.
Nice and power EDC

QJj3FAs.jpg

5gzXLHA.jpg

HPhI8B8.jpg

Last edited: