My flashaholism is waining...

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi guys,

it seems that nothing impress me anymore. Let me explain: a few years back i eagerly waited for new reviews, admired new lights like SF LX2, Fenix TK40, and had at least 3-4 on my wishlist (sadly hadn't been able to buy more than one). Lately, regardless of super bright small lights, new technologies, many new manufacturers, there's no light that would give me a "buzz" and wake desire for owning it. Even if i really NEED a light for specific task, nothing seems to be good enough... Is this some kind of "paradox of choice" since there is at lest a dozen quality manufacturers to pick from or something else? Even Surefires aren't what they used to be for me - chinese brands are a lot brighter, with decent quality and sometimes i feel kind of stupid getting, for example, UB3T for 2-3 times higher price than similar Fenix, Nitecore, etc.

I had quite a few lights (chronologically): MagCharger, LL P5, Nitecore Extreme, XL200, SF LX2, SF L1, Minimus, Magled 2AA, Lux-RC FL33, SF Fury, H51W, and i currently own UB3T, Minimus Vision, Varapower 1000 (XM-L2), Quark Mini 123 and L2P with homemade triple nichia dropin. Have i really come to an end of a flashaholics path?
:(

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

it seems that nothing impress me anymore. Let me explain: a few years back i eagerly waited for new reviews, admired new lights like SF LX2, Fenix TK40, and had at least 3-4 on my wishlist (sadly hadn't been able to buy more than one). Lately, regardless of super bright small lights, new technologies, many new manufacturers, there's no light that would give me a "buzz" and wake desire for owning it. Even if i really NEED a light for specific task, nothing seems to be good enough... Is this some kind of "paradox of choice" since there is at lest a dozen quality manufacturers to pick from or something else? Even Surefires aren't what they used to be for me - chinese brands are a lot brighter, with decent quality and sometimes i feel kind of stupid getting, for example, UB3T for 2-3 times higher price than similar Fenix, Nitecore, etc.

I had quite a few lights (chronologically): MagCharger, LL P5, Nitecore Extreme, XL200, SF LX2, SF L1, Minimus, Magled 2AA, Lux-RC FL33, SF Fury, H51W, and i currently own UB3T, Minimus Vision, Varapower 1000 (XM-L2), Quark Mini 123 and L2P with homemade triple nichia dropin. Have i really come to an end of a flashaholics path?

Some has to do with what you are choosing.

It of course can also have to do with why you buy in the first place.

If its the need to wow yourself, sure, you do become more used to / acclimated to each new brightness plateau, and it becomes progressively harder to find a new plateau.

Now, if nothing seems good enough, then it IS simply your choices to fill the performance roles....or, what you need is still too hard for what's out there to do.

So, as a way of gauging this, tell us what you need to be "good enough" in terms of an example of a scenario where what you have fell short.

We can then examine why, and, make suggestions as to the most logical direction to go from here.

:D

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Have you reached the end of your flashaholic lifecycle? Depending on your age, probably not. Most of the flashaholics are on a plateau, waiting for revolutionary, not evolutionary developments in LED and energy storage technology. Their 'fleet' of flashlights are mostly shelf-queens waiting for a chance to shine.

Energy storage technology definitely plateaued. The overall change from LeadAcid -> NiCD -> NiMH -> Lithium or Li-Ion is revolutionary. However the many current variations of rechargeable Lithium-xxxx cells are at best incremental and evolutionary. Lithium is a very limited resource and is primarily located in politically difficult and very inhospitable locations on this planet. Take a look at the high-altitude Salars in Bolivia and Chile/Peru regions where the bulk of the known Lithium resources exist. IOW, attempts at higher volume will not inherently result in a lower price.

LED technology plateaued as well. Only increased sales volume can drive down the price and fund basic LED research. LEDs need a broader base of applications than just flashlights. Modern LEDs (XP-G and XM-L) are just entering street-light and household lighting service.

Simply put, Industry still operates on investing some portion of profit back in to research. low profit = lower research funding = fewer technology breakthroughs.

The flashaholic market is saturating because the flashaholic realizes that the latest change or upgrade is at best minor and their disposable income is limited. Hence only the Target/Walmart/REI/etc. markets remain in an effort to increase volume. But look at the allocated shelf-space to flashlights in your local hardware store or Walmart/etc. How much space is allocated to which type of light and which type of LED? For the average John/Jane Doe, nearly any flashlight the flashaholic owns is overkill, especially for their wallet.

So we wait.

Alternatively, re-evaluate your current applications for flashlights/headlamps. What are you missing? Is there some application niche that remains less than rewarding? ie: try changing the oil/filter on a dirty/oily internal combustion engine. Check the threads that the filter screws on to for cleanliness and that no dirt is on the engine surface for the filter seal. Not easy!

Redhat703

Enlightened
You have a fine collection. Now is the time for the great light(s). You flashaholics path has not ended until you got some McGizmo and Mac's and (!!!) lights.:nana:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with the poster, have some Xmas money here to spend on a light but nothing much interests me in the category I prefer to collect being AAA/AA.

Although I like the 123 battery type and manage to get batteries at a reasonable cost I think I cannot be bothered anymore chasing the right price for them, I really have no idea why manufacturers continue with making a torch with such an odd retail battery when the world over you can buy AAA/AA and before anyone says about power they already can send an electric motorcycle around the 39 mile IOM TT course averaging over 100 mph.

I need a new AAA/AA high power jobbie to make me spend.��

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I have to agree with the poster, have some Xmas money here to spend on a light but nothing much interests me in the category I prefer to collect being AAA/AA.

Although I like the 123 battery type and manage to get batteries at a reasonable cost I think I cannot be bothered anymore chasing the right price for them, I really have no idea why manufacturers continue with making a torch with such an odd retail battery when the world over you can buy AAA/AA and before anyone says about power they already can send an electric motorcycle around the 39 mile IOM TT course averaging over 100 mph.

I need a new AAA/AA high power jobbie to make me spend.😴

The trick is to take breaks from it so you don't get bored with redundancy. Most manufacturers will release clusters of lights as a series, ie. different cell formats of the same light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Some has to do with what you are choosing.

It of course can also have to do with why you buy in the first place.

<snip>

Truer words could not have been spoken.

pulstar,
I have six and twelve point sockets in 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" drive sets, and although I still peruse the hardware and tool section of stores, I haven't bought a new socket set in years. My craftsman tools haven't failed me, and I don't have to upgrade to Snapon. I don't yearn for Snapon because my current tools do the job I bought them for.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I need a new AAA/AA high power jobbie to make me spend.&#55357;&#56884;

Sort of the same reason there are fewer steam powered vehicles.

So, sure, you can get stuff to make steam anywhere, but, that stuff has low energy density.

If you want to carry a light that is larger and dimmer, but uses a commonly available power source, that's a reasonable trade off.

But, most people who buy the Li-ion powered lights, want the light to be brighter and run longer while still being smaller, and they are willing to buy rechargeable cells do get that smaller form factor and additional performance.

Some people value the availability of disposable cells, and some value the ease of simply recharging cells they have.

In my own experience in disaster response, many who counted on their commonly available batteries, went to the store and found that all the common sized cells were gone in the first mad dash. The 123's and odd sizes were still there, as the masses did not recognize them as potential power sources, and, did not have any lights that used them.

For me, I just use every freakin type, and figure that no matter what, I will have a way to make light.

So, there ARE lights that can take both Nimh and li-ion 14500's for example, and, that does allow some flexibility.

The limits on a new high powered AA jobie are currently the energy density/ability to supply a lot at a time, and, the LED's ability to be driven harder/be more efficient...to get brighter for example.

In that size, a long run time can be a reasonable goal at sub-lumen levels, and, some cells can outperform the high energy density options when the draw gets super low. So, sub-lumen options in that direction are more ripe for example.

Redhat703

Enlightened
Have you looked at these?

_9190039.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sort of the same reason there are fewer steam powered vehicles.

So, sure, you can get stuff to make steam anywhere, but, that stuff has low energy density.

If you want to carry a light that is larger and dimmer, but uses a commonly available power source, that's a reasonable trade off.

But, most people who buy the Li-ion powered lights, want the light to be brighter and run longer while still being smaller, and they are willing to buy rechargeable cells do get that smaller form factor and additional performance.

Some people value the availability of disposable cells, and some value the ease of simply recharging cells they have.

In my own experience in disaster response, many who counted on their commonly available batteries, went to the store and found that all the common sized cells were gone in the first mad dash. The 123's and odd sizes were still there, as the masses did not recognize them as potential power sources, and, did not have any lights that used them.

For me, I just use every freakin type, and figure that no matter what, I will have a way to make light.

So, there ARE lights that can take both Nimh and li-ion 14500's for example, and, that does allow some flexibility.

The limits on a new high powered AA jobie are currently the energy density/ability to supply a lot at a time, and, the LED's ability to be driven harder/be more efficient...to get brighter for example.

In that size, a long run time can be a reasonable goal at sub-lumen levels, and, some cells can outperform the high energy density options when the draw gets super low. So, sub-lumen options in that direction are more ripe for example.

I see your point but remember you are a light person.Joe Public just needs a decent torch with ready available batteries,everybody has some AA alkies or rechargeable digi cam batteries in the kitchen drawer and does not want to go hunting down a very odd size battery like a 123 for instance.I would move on all my 123 stuff tomorrow if someone can supply say a 300 lumen AA cell with a decent very low for nightly bathroom visit and with a couple of decent usable levels in between,i have no need for those stupid flashing modes.

Have you looked at these?

_9190039.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

They look nice who or what are they?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I see your point but remember you are a light person.Joe Public just needs a decent torch with ready available batteries,everybody has some AA alkies or rechargeable digi cam batteries in the kitchen drawer and does not want to go hunting down a very odd size battery like a 123 for instance.I would move on all my 123 stuff tomorrow if someone can supply say a 300 lumen AA cell with a decent very low for nightly bathroom visit and with a couple of decent usable levels in between,i have no need for those stupid flashing modes.

Excuse me, but I think that we can classify pulstar as a "light person". Perhaps the "available anywhere" Joe Public discussion should be made at the Energizer forum.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse me, but I think that we can classify pulstar as a "light person". Perhaps the "available anywhere" Joe Public discussion should be made at the Energizer forum.

Wrong fella you have not read it or understood correctly.I will try it slowly for you.I cannot see a need for mass produced 123 lights when the world in general uses AAA/AA cell.The major makers make there profits from retail/trade user sales and not from a few hundred anorak wearers.

I am the owner of 123 cell lights and i say again that i am fed up of feeding them on non standard batteries that i have to hunt down to buy at the right price.

So slowly again my Flashaholism is waining because i want a more suitable AAA/AA cell light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Wrong fella you have not read it or understood correctly.I will try it slowly for you.I cannot see a need for mass produced 123 lights when the world in general uses AAA/AA cell.The major makers make there profits from retail/trade user sales and not from a few hundred anorak wearers.

I am the owner of 123 cell lights and i say again that i am fed up of feeding them on non standard batteries that i have to hunt down to buy at the right price.

So slowly again my Flashaholism is waining because i want a more suitable AAA/AA cell light.

Interesting. TEEJ, and DC38 can present complex issues with various scenarios and I have no problem reading and understanding them, at all. Yet, I have noticed that I am not the first person who you wrote "slowly" for, because YOU claim that he, misunderstood you. I have never seen either of the above two gentlemen be insulting in their responses, (please note the proper use and spelling of the word THEIR, as opposed to THERE). Oh, yes, they also use punctuation and put spaces between sentences.

Lampbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Have i really come to an end of a flashaholics path?

VAybawQ.jpg

You are merely a recovering flashaholic, not cured. This is Archimedes' hilarious graph from another post. You are approaching sublumens now.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. TEEJ, and DC38 can present complex issues with various scenarios and I have no problem reading and understanding them, at all. Yet, I have noticed that I am not the first person who you wrote "slowly" for, because YOU claim that he, misunderstood you. I have never seen either of the above two gentlemen be insulting in their responses, (please note the proper use and spelling of the word THEIR, as opposed to THERE). Oh, yes, they also use punctuation and put spaces between sentences.

Thanks for your grammar lesson but as I am dyslectic I find it difficult at times especially writing via a mobile, please do not think I am insulting I just suffer from grumpy old man syndrome.

scout24

Flashaholic
Interesting thinking, Archimedes. Surefire E2e's, M6's and the multitude of RCR and primary combinations for them brought me back once when my interest slowed. Lumensfactory, 2x18650 adapters, JS's work with the MN15 bulb in the M6 as an X-LOLA lamp assembly, mdocod's cell/bulb compatibility bible, there's TONS of good stuff in the incan subforum!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Interesting thinking, Archimedes. Surefire E2e's, M6's and the multitude of RCR and primary combinations for them brought me back once when my interest slowed. Lumensfactory, 2x18650 adapters, JS's work with the MN15 bulb in the M6 as an X-LOLA lamp assembly, mdocod's cell/bulb compatibility bible, there's TONS of good stuff in the incan subforum!

I started to feel a bit jaded a while back, until I got a FireFoxes FF3 on a bit of a whim ... :eek:oo: :eek: :eek:oo: