Want to check that Reflector?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever wanted to check that orange peel pattern, or bulb artifacts? Looking in to the light with it on is not the best way. (Just for those that weren't sure). Well the recent thread on using binoculars to throw a beam got me started on this. Try It

Take a magnafying glass (the larger the better, I have a 4", but others work too), hold it in front of the light, right against the bezel. Turn the light on ,and shine it against a solid colored wall. Now move the magnafying glass away from the bezel, and directly in line with the beam. You will be able to focus every detail of the reflector, and the bulb, even down to the filament, in sharp detail.

Ok so I have to much time, and to many flashlights, but it is interesting.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent idea, but what's the point?

Of course, I'll be doing this all night with all my different lights. Yes, I've already done the binocular thing and it was kinda interesting. Also, there is no such thing as too many lights.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheesehead said:
Excellent idea, but what's the point?

Of course, I'll be doing this all night with all my different lights. Yes, I've already done the binocular thing and it was kinda interesting. Also, there is no such thing as too many lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I am becoming a real flashaholic cause I am looking for reasons to check (or is it play) with my lights. No real point just something interesting. My Stinger had a couple of artifacts in the beam, and I now see it is because of bulb design, not the reflector.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that's actually helpful since you won't spend money looking at different bulbs, etc if the artifact is actually the reflector.

I have a similar flashaholic problem, since I was wondering if I should get some dogs so I have an excuse to walk around the neighborhood with my flashlights. I feel too self-conscious to walk around by myself, but if you have dogs, you have the excuse to carry one to see where they go if they get away. Maybe instead I'll put a lease and collar on one of my kids.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Cheesehead,

You need one of those stiff leashes that they give for prizes at the county fair. That way you can fake everyone out and they will just think you are out walking the dog. Just be sure to not light up the empty leash.

Tom