Just got my SureFire EB1 in the mail, impressions...

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
So I was excited when the EB1 was first announced a while back as a big fan of the E1B. Once it hit the market and the UI problems and the green tint were the big issues being talked about, it turned me off from buying one. Playing with some in person also gave me the issues spoken of. But recently I've been hearing a lot about how the issues have been pretty much worked out, so I forked up the cash and ordered one.

The first thing I did when I took it out of the box was test it to make sure I got the newer one. Went to low with a soft press, then pressed harder, let go, and pressed harder again instantly. Same level. Since then, I've been manually strobing it to see if I could make it hiccup - Not even once has it happened. The UI works EXACTLY the way it's supposed to, at least on this example.

I closed the blinds in my bedroom and got it as dark as I could (it's late afternoon, so it wasn't pitch black) and tested it against my LensLight mini for comparison of tint (the Mini is pretty warm). There was definitely some cool, greenish tint to it - HOWEVER it was not that intensely green. I had an Elzetta ZFL-M60 (now just called the Beta) a while back and the tint on that Malkoff M60 actually seemed slightly more green to me than this SureFire's. Overall, I'm definitely not bothered by the tint. I do prefer a pure white or neutral tint, but this isn't so bad that I would consider it a major negative.

I like the new pocket clips! They actually have a lanyard hole in them now which is a great touch. The familiar Black Oxide is still present and from my EB1 I can say the finish just never seems to wear away. Nothing else really to change about the clip. It's my favorite pocket clip in the industry.

The throw is wonderful, too, but the light also has a very useful spill.

If beam shots are desired, I can get some up later tonight when it gets a little darker.

Overall, I'd say that if you're concerned about these lights you can rest easy - They definitely seem like good lights now. I know the regulation will be an issue for some, but until I have more time with the light in real world use I'll refrain from commenting on it one way or the other. If the light serves me well and I feel I'm getting a good runtime overall before I need to switch cells, then I'm not going to ding the regulation. Specs on paper may not actually reflect my perceived usefulness of the light in real use, so I'll give the light a good whirl and withhold judgment on regulation until later.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Very good to have an additional indication that the switching issue has been fixed. I liked everything about that light except that issue. If you need to quickly and reliably get one mode or the other, and get the selected mode first in the sequence, the user interface is now ideal. The throw is impressive, and compares quite favorably to other lights I own that are rated at up to 275 lumens.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'm extremely happy with the UI now that it's fixed. The 2-stage tailcap was the biggest thing I was excited for when the light was first announced. I always wished my E1B had that type of tailcap.

The one thing I would caution is to be careful where you buy so you don't end up with new old stock of the ones that had the UI problems.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you mind letting us know what your serial number is? You don't need to give the exact number if your concerned about giving it out.

Also, would you mind telling where you got it so those of us who want newer stock know where to get one?

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Not sure exactly which number is my serial on the light, but I got it from B&H Photo for $154.00 and they tossed in a pack of 2 SF batteries at no extra charge as well.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
sovereign, what is the issue with the tactical tail caps?

i had one when they first came out. it had the issues everyone has talked about. i bought another one this month hoping to get a corrected one. got it from la police. it was one with a 4000 serial number. i sent it back with a letter saying id like a new one. going to give them one chance and if i still get an old one then ill just sent it back. i got a good coupon for there that made the light cheaper than everyone else which is why i am hesitantly trying to continue to deal with them.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
sovereign, what is the issue with the tactical tail caps?

i had one when they first came out. it had the issues everyone has talked about. i bought another one this month hoping to get a corrected one. got it from la police. it was one with a 4000 serial number. i sent it back with a letter saying id like a new one. going to give them one chance and if i still get an old one then ill just sent it back. i got a good coupon for there that made the light cheaper than everyone else which is why i am hesitantly trying to continue to deal with them.

What are the prospects of calling surefire and saying my light don't work as should? That it cycles incorrectly or something??

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
I've tried. One said he never heard of a problem with the eb1. Other said I shouldn't be concerned with it and use the light like it is.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Yeah I tried a couple of months ago with the same results. I was wondering that now we know there is a fix that they would change their minds but I guess not. BTW I checked out your sigs. I like your Bibles