Enlightened
Hello out there in flashlight-land!

I've got a C3HA with a KTx turbo-head running
the nine volt N lamp and I'd like to buy myself a Christmas
present. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Will I be happy with the M3?

Will I notice much difference?

What about the M3T?

Is the L6 even an option (adequate throw?)?

Your thoughts, suggestions and comments are greatly
appreciated!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I kinda doubt you'll notice enough beam difference with the M3. I think the difference is mostly mechanical (shockproofing etc). M3T maybe. But I've never owned an M3 or looked at one up close. The M3 and M4 always seemed like kludgy lights to me, especially with the turbos. If you want a monster Surefire and the C3/KTx isn't extreme enough, I'd say skip the rest of the middle stuff and go straight to the M6.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
hmmm... I don't have an L6, but I do have an M3 and I'm in your neighborhood as well Lux, so let me know. And I'd have to agree with paulr - IMO you'll find a much more different and better light by skipping the middle of the road and upping the ante to an M6. I'm only making this assumption because you already have the C3 equipped with a turbohead and N lamp. To me, that's pretty much an M3 right there.

And to stir the pot, I can also bring along my SF 10X. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...but that's changing the lineup a bit. Okay, back to the regularly scheduled program...

-Jim

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
We may need to have a SoCal light-fest!

We can make a pilgrimage to SureFire.
There must be some dark place we can meet . . .

I'm extremely overbooked in the near future
(Christmas/Children/etc.) but thank you for the offers!

I've been thinking about the M6.
I should have known I would end up like this!
It starts innocently enough - before you know it,
you're spending your last dime on the "hard stuff".
I should never have bought
that G2 from Botach! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'd like to pause at the $200.00 level for a little while.

$100.00 for a flashlight and I don't even break a sweat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$150.00 even seems reasonable (what a deal).

I may need to catch my breath before I take
a stab at the $250.00 - $300.00 range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MUST CONSERVE MONEY!

SAVE FOR M6! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Screehopper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lux_Luminous said:
We may need to have a SoCal light-fest!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be a great idea. I haven't seen an M6 or 10X in the dark outdoors in person yet. Seeing them in the store does not do them justice. So maybe someone can set up a light show!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I humbly suggest that you guys start an on topic thread on a So. Cal Light Fest! I would even wager that if the time selected was appropriate, you might get the Photon King to bring some of his toys as well! Major Weenie aside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ,when he opens his bag of tricks, any red blooded flashaholic is given reason to pause. I could be wrong here but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I know that between now and the SHOT show, PK needs to find 8 or 9 days in each week but you never know.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux-

I just made the same decision you are pondering. I had a well used 9P and a lightly used C3.

I've had my M3 for two weeks now. You won't notice any difference in light output compared to your C3. What you will notice is a different beam pattern. My C3 has a wide even beam with almost no disernable hotspot. The M3 with it's different head has slightly wider dimmer beam WITH a brighter center hotspot. Overall I would the light output is the same just the beam.

The C3 is more compact and I've always liked the idea of getting a new reflector when you replace the lamp, the M3 is more shock resistant and waterproof.

You need to decide if the $60-$80 price difference is worth it to you. I also have the M6 if you want more light, go for the M6.

GregR

P.S. I just re-read your post indicating you have a turbohead for your C3, in that case I say no you won't be happy with your M3, it will be a step down.

machulu

Newly Enlightened
M3 is my favorite Surefire so my opinion is biased. I think if your going to use a 3 cell surefire, the M3 is the best. It won't have the throw of you C3 w/turbohead but it will put out more flood to light up a larger area. The first time a picked up a M3, I was suprised at how rugged and well built it felt. It begs to be used and abused. The M3 with a SW02 "charlie" tailcap is IMO the sexiest looking light ever. It isn't the most practical light I have and it's not the most used but there's just something about it that I like.

Stick with the C3/KT combo for you long throw needs. The N2 lamp will out throw the M3 or even M3T

~Stephen

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
"Should I buy an M3?"

Do you need to breathe air? Do you need to drink water? Of course you need this flashlight!

[mumbles to self: Boy, that was a dumb question. Must be some guy from Chino Hills which is always getting dissed on 'The O.C.']

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux, I have the M3T and it is my serious light. I keep the MN16 HOLA (225 for 20)in mine.

But, I don't know if the hop from the C3 with a KT2 to the M3T is going to impress you sufficiently.

I recommend you leap forward to the M4 or M6, then come back for an M3 or M3T.

BC

Lithead

Newly Enlightened
You did not indicate for what purpose your M3 will serve. So other than being a flashaholic:

I have been using the M3 series in the field for almost four years now. I've got more than I want to count of personal lights in this model line outside of what is supplied to us for work. It is my go to light. I have:

Dropped it out of a helicopter (not on purpose),
beaten people with it (right after I used it to block a baseball bat),
impressed women with it,
impressed men with it,
not quite impressed dogs with it,
and scared children with it
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

M3 is a good general purpose light.
M3 w/ HOLA is a good high powered "carryable" light.
M3T head gives better focus and offers good throw.
M3T w/ HOLA is wicked.

I am still playing with my L6 and am fascinated by the purity of the beam (white beam, giving me natural colors at night). It is not as powerful by any measure but is just "fun" at this stage. I will start pounding it and see how it fares in field use.

In short, it is a good light.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

The M3 is probably my all-time favorite! I just put the new Z58 "clickie" tailcap on mine and it works great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you already have a C3HA with a KTx turbo-head I would skip the M3, unless you want it for it's coolness factor it will not out-perform what you already have. I would get the M6. Seriously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've had the M3, M3T, M4, M6 & 10X. The M6 is the greatest! And with a little work, the M6 can be run off of 3 cells, so you can run the N2 and the M3T lamps MN15 & MN16 in it in addition to the 6 cell MN20 & MN21!

Go for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Unless you are going to retire your C3 and sell it, then the M3/M3T would be nice but otherwise you are pretty much duplicating performance. I believe the KT-2 you have will hold the M3T lamps anyway.

The L6 is nice with good throw but is comparable to P60 brightness.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
Thank you for the words of wisdom! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

An M6 is now officially on the "list" of things to buy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

(but an L5 sounds like a good short-term goal) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I will try to ration my lighting purchases and squirrel enough
away to buy the 500 lumen eye-burner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This should be easy to rationalize!

(just don't let "the wife" know)

GeoffChan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
... The M6 is the greatest! And with a little work, the M3 can be run off of 3 cells ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Sean was meaning 3 cells in an M6.

I agree with Dan about the M3 as well, its my favorite light.

Geoff

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GeoffChan said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
... The M6 is the greatest! And with a little work, the M3 can be run off of 3 cells ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Sean was meaning 3 cells in an M6.

I agree with Dan about the M3 as well, its my favorite light.

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Your right, I meant the M6. Post edited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I like the L5 too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif