Maglite LED questions..

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to pick up a new Maglite LED, either a 2 or 3 cell D, as a gift for a non-flashoholic. I'm leaning towards it because of the longer runtimes compared to the incandescent models however I recently read a few on line reviews and found some complaints about their reliability. So, are the new LED models as reliable as the incandescent models? Also, the flood beam on the incandescents were pretty poor, is it better with the LED? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
In my opinion, a 3D LED Maglite is fine for a non-flashy. I think anything over 100 lumens and 10 hours of runtime is more than adequate as a gift for this person. The 3D Maglite LED has 131 lumens, 364 meters of throw, and 79 hours of runtime. The flood feature w/ the head is not great. But I've found the build quality and reliability to be superb w/ my various Maglites over the years. By the way, I picked up a two pack a year ago for under $13. The 3D LED and a 2AA LED Mini Mag.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is hard to say if they are more or less reliable than bulb model, i had mine for years (old rebel model) still works as good as it did first day. but some may have defects and falures, at least maglite warranty is good, and they replace lights if they brake, as for beam in flood mode, i think it is even worst with led models that inc.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is hard to say if they are more or less reliable than bulb model, i had mine for years (old rebel model) still works as good as it did first day. but some may have defects and falures, at least maglite warranty is good, and they replace lights if they brake, as for beam in flood mode, i think it is even worst with led models that inc.

The warranty really won't matter because the users reside outside the US and they're not going to return it for repairs if something happens. Also the flood being worse is disappointing because that's what they really need, a good floody light.

Thank you both for your input.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D LED model gets my vote. IMO the flood is identical on both the incan and LED versions - they both suck and are full of holes.

But, given the runtime and the crazy amount of throw the LED wins hands down in my book. I haven't had any issues with my 3D LED so I'd say buy/gift with confidence.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
get them a 2 * AA led light; at best one that has not too many levels and not a too high turbo (better runtime)
Why?
because in reality noone is actually using a D-cell light, when there are smaller, lighter lights with "better" (= more typically used) cells available,
that is what they usually grab

f.e. Fenix E25 ...

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
Maglite Mini 2*AA LED has issues and should be kept away from. Besides it is quite dim.
Maglite Mini PRO 2*AA LED is quite reliable and well built and has very floody beam but bluish tint (uses XP-G). Puts out about 200 lumens with 2 Duraloop LSD NiMH AA. Simple to use with twist-on interface. Single mode, will only run for 4 hrs on NiMH (can run longer on L91). Close-up work may be difficult due to brightness. Currently duct taped to my bicycle handlebars as a headlamp. At $20 hard to beat.
Maglite Mini PRO+ 2*AA LED is $10 more than the PRO, but has a low mode that helps for close up work.
Maglite Mini 2*AAA LED is very bright but has very short runtime (1.5 hrs). Fit is lacking, with loose batteries and wobbly head, but it still works. Can be obtained for $12. Similar to a pen with chunky head, can be clipped in pocket. Very floody.
Maglite Solitaire 1*AAA LED is very compact but not very bright, and has short runtime (2.5 hrs). Great for non-flashaholic EDC use, as it is very lightweight. Teflon tape head threads to prevent accidental turning on. Plenty bright enough for indoor use. With NiMH AAA one of my EDC lights. Rather floody. Can be obtained for $10. Reliability is questionable.
Mag-Tac 2*CR123A not for normal use.
I do not have Maglite C/D LEDs, but I heard that they are very reliable and run a long time, and have good throw. If club-sized flashlights are desired, get them. Otherwise the 2*AAA penlight is just as bright, and AAA are much more common than C/D, making short runtime inconsequential. The Mini PRO/PRO+ are almost as bright as the Mag 2D LED PRO, but with shorter runtime (the PRO+ dim mode can run for a long time).

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yellow/LanthanumK, AA may be an option but the D format gives better runtimes overall and for those I'm looking to give the light to, bigger/simpler is better for them. Thanks for your input.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a non-flashoholic, I would recommend a 3D over 2D. A non-flashoholic is going to be looking for the best performance on alkaline batteries. And since a 3D will draw less current AND does not have a power hungry boost driver, it would probably be the better way to go. As for the flood being horrible, any Mag is going to have the dreaded donut hole on maximum flood. Whether or not this is a problem depends largely on your use of the light. For lighting up a dark room during a power outage, the donut hole is not too big of a deal. Especially if you use the light to light things up by ceiling bounce. It's a bigger deal when hiking, however. When hiking at night, you will find that the donut hole is likely right in the middle if your path.

Speaking of Mags, another option to consider is a Malkoff drop-in. This will provide more light than an LED Mag with better reliability. Malkoff drop-ins are found in a variety of flavors. But for a non-flashoholic who plans to use alkaline batteries, the 3-4D XP-G2 model would be the best to use. This way, current draw can be minimized while maximizing runtime. As far as the incandescent Mag host, the more cells you use, the better.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Just a little more on the 3D mag.
Just like the incans, the head/reflector can be removed and the light can stand in candle mode, it'll flood like a mule.

Someone mentioned a mag pro model, I do not think that the pro models have 2 modes, and that you have to go to the pro plus.

EDIT... IF a PLUS model is offered, that might be preferable, as the plus has 2 modes, a high and a low.

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
You could always heavily sputter the reflector to get rid of/minimize the donut hole. It really cuts down on the throw though.

maglite mike

Enlightened
If I could only have one flashlight it would be the maglite 3d led. After enduring hurricane sandy. Super long run time,durability,simplicity and reliability are what matter. Also makes a great self defense weapon.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem is that it's not 270 lumens for 12 hours. Like other LED Mags, it steps down.

Pro_2D_Runtime.png

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
The step-down should not be a trouble for the average person, they might not even notice it. With the 270 lumen 2D light going for the same price as the 130 lumen 3D light on AMZN I would say go for the former if you do not want to modify.

The D cell LED Pro model does not have a Pro+ yet, only the AA model does.